keith blacks in a 340?

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
Anybody use Keith black Hypers? I've heard a few times thy are junk.

Any real experiences with them, not just what so n so's brothers uncle said.

I have them in my 340. No problems what so ever. They are a good piston as long as you go by the instructions. Top ring gap needs to be wider due to the higher top ring land. I have been running these for 8 years and have over 40k miles on them. I would recommend these to anyone. They told me if you run NOS no more then 150 shot.

Fred B

Well, this guy I work with, he knows of a brother, and his uncle said.........:toothy10:

They're not junk.

Still, with a 340, I would lean toward forged pistons, which were there in the first place, especially if you're going to run it hard. (And I would hope that you're going to.)

My engine guy likes SRP pistons, for what it's worth. They're in my 340 now, but so far the engine has only been run on the dyno.

I think stock 340s had cast pistons.....even the early ones...

will do some searching..

I,m running the KB.s in my 340 stroked to a 372 and run it hard,no problems yet.I,ve only got 1 season on them though.:clock:

The only reason that poeple complain about KB Hypereutetic pistons is they didn't follow the instructions for end gap and break a piston when the ring ends hit or because the instructions say to set them much wider they assume there will be more leak down. Because the ring is closer to the top of the piston it runs hotter which requires more end gap to prevent them from hitting. At temperture the gap is no different than any other piston.

I have 25k miles on the KB107s in my 360 so far.

The only reason that poeple complain about KB Hypereutetic pistons is they didn't follow the instructions for end gap and break a piston when the ring ends hit or because the instructions say to set them much wider they assume there will be more leak down.

I'll 3rd that. I used to read it all the time. Nothing like ignoring instructions.
I have used them in a 360 before without any issue's at all. The HyperU's are stronger than the regular cast pistons but not as strong as the fordged units.

KB243 in mine and they are fine rev'd 7200rpm daily and weigh a ton less than stock.
follow the directions and gap them to the recommended .026-.028 'top ring only'.

Bang for the buck you cannot beat them,lighter and cheaper than trws,and alot less than comparable weight forged pistons.My brother is running kb107s in his 360 for going on six years and he drives it pretty hard with alot of street miles and 7k shifts and they hold up fine,made a believer out of at least one guy I know.

They're not junk.

Still, with a 340, I would lean toward forged pistons, which were there in the first place, especially if you're going to run it hard. (And I would hope that you're going to.)

My engine guy likes SRP pistons, for what it's worth. They're in my 340 now, but so far the engine has only been run on the dyno.

No forged pistons from the factory in any 340, early or other wise. Forged cranks, but not pistons.

I would ideally put forged in anything, but i may be putting together this engine for my 65 Barracuda. I already have some small block parts and am looking to do it less expensively. Can't beat the price of the KB's. My boss hates them, I've heard him say how the hell can the top ring seal with that much gap. He's a Chevy guy and stuck in his ways I think. I'll most likely be using them. Thanks for the input.

Hey, no problem Babyblue66, glad my friends, brothers, uncle could help!

-
Back