LA hydraulic roller lifters?

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Who's lifters are you LA hydraulic roller cam guys running?

Discuss...

I'm using Melling replacement lifters in a 90 roller lifter LA block.

You have a factory Hyd roller cammed engine? Reuse the stock lifters.

If a Factory Hyd Roller block, I use the OEM parts.

Let's us know who you use, what work is/was needed and how it works.

I stock Morels. Worked fine in the tall roller cam LA lifter bores. Just fired this motor today.
0228171323.jpg

What rockers are those? Also what is that line in the valley? Are the Morels retrofit style?
They are a retrofit lifter. The customer brought me four totes with parts he sourced, including the ProComp rockers you see in the pic. He also wanted the crossover tube oiling mod, or I could have used the factory style lifters and spider. I pretty much had to make a less than optimal combo work. Funny thing is, he thinks he's saving money by supplying his own parts. In reality, he's paying more.

He also wanted the crossover tube oiling mod.
Being it is a Hyd. roller cam, he didn't have to do that correct?
Is it a must with solid roller cams?
What is wrong or not up to par with the way the MP books suggest?

Thanks

Being it is a Hyd. roller cam, he didn't have to do that correct?
Is it a must with solid roller cams?
What is wrong or not up to par with the way the MP books suggest?

Thanks

It's not about the lifter, it's about supplying the bearings with enough oil. I don't do it the way MP suggests, but as a builder, some things I have to keep under my hat.

It's not about the lifter, it's about supplying the bearings with enough oil. I don't do it the way MP suggests, but as a builder, some things I have to keep under my hat.

I'll keep mine under my hat too, but I refuse to add that tube. It's a waste of time and money and does zero to increase oil to the bearings.

I've posted this before, so I don't mind repeating it, but the reason the SBM runs out of oil is the oil timing is off. You can live with this depending on power and RPM. Mostly RPM. If everything is right, you can do 7800 RPM and get by. Over that, you have to correct the oil timing or it will kick the 3&4 rods out on a regular basis.

On board data logging has proven most guys don't turn the RPM in the car they thing they are.

I'll keep mine under my hat too, but I refuse to add that tube. It's a waste of time and money and does zero to increase oil to the bearings.

Well Tim, I have my reasons for "my" crossover mod, and it isn't why MP says to do it. I don't modify the oiling system just because some book tells me to do it. I do it after a careful evaluation of the system as a whole. Where I see an issue, I correct it as much as possible.

I also have a Pontiac motor in the shop that will get a similar mod, and for the same reason.

-
Back