Leaf spring advice

-
My 74 Duster is a street car using 002/003 springs in the proper location. It rides just fine, sits pretty level and if they put the *** end up too much just add a lowering block. Don't be afraid of Super Stock springs, however I think there are cheaper options and it is true, Super Stock springs were intended for drag racing so if you are not drag racing then why bother. I bought mine a long time ago cause I thought I needed them. 10 years later the car has yet to make it to the track. Maybe this year though!!!
Cley

....and cheaper.

new yes...barely used no.
picked mine up off craigslist for about $100 (if I remember right) and they came with B body front hangers. Barely used.
I dont get the moaning about too high a stance...yeah, if you leave the D-78-14's on it looks stupid...
a 28" rear tire fits very nicely...
100_1627.jpg

Oh jeeezzz, like the MoPar books suggest. Larger tire to go racing on with the race springs!

Brilliant!!!!!!!

Jim has the idea!

Yeah, they're great for drag racing. Not so great for handling, or ride quality.

It cracks me up that people won't run large torsion bars up front because they "ride too stiff", but don't have any problem throwing SS springs on the back. The factory rear spring rates weren't nearly as far off as the fronts, and 160 lb/in springs pretty much guarantees the car is oversprung in the back for anything other than drag racing. Factory XHD's were 110 lb/in, and most autoX and road course springs are around 130 lb/in. And those are intended for wider tires with better tread compounds than what most people run on the street with their 15" rims.

Yeah, they're great for drag racing. Not so great for handling, or ride quality.

It cracks me up that people won't run large torsion bars up front because they "ride too stiff", but don't have any problem throwing SS springs on the back. The factory rear spring rates weren't nearly as far off as the fronts, and 160 lb/in springs pretty much guarantees the car is oversprung in the back for anything other than drag racing. Factory XHD's were 110 lb/in, and most autoX and road course springs are around 130 lb/in. And those are intended for wider tires with better tread compounds than what most people run on the street with their 15" rims.

It’s years and years of false or let’s make do magazine articles in my opinion

I run SS springs on Nella’s car, first because the original springs were worn out and sagging, and second because they were free. They were under a parts car I bought, still had the tags on them and had never been on the street. Yes, the ride height is a little high, and I would prefer a little less height, but am not up to buying a set of springs yet!

1845A52F-9B69-4348-88C6-230BDD4D27E4.jpeg

Last edited:
Other pic is a bit deceptive...
275 60 R15 rear 195 65 R15 front
Seems like a very mild "rake" to me...oh well I'm havin a ball crankin' around the streets :D
100_1629.jpg

Yea way too high for me. But it’s set up for your needs. Nd you like it so that’s all that really matters.

Yea way too high for me. But it’s set up for your needs. Nd you like it so that’s all that really matters.

Bingo.:thumbsup:

I'm diggin it. Most fun I've had with an old car since they werent old cars :D

100_1627-jpg.jpg

What's with the ugly *** hood prop rod? :)

I prefer them lower in the rear end. LOL Weight transfers better too. If you got under 200# you wouldn't need it so high in the back!

Car looks good, just needs full throttle. :poke:

-
Back