Leaf springs: XHD or Hotchkis?

-

273 Duster

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for an upgrade to my Duster's leaf springs trying to figure out what to get and can't decide. My goal for the suspension is to put it somewhere between a nice cruiser and a canyon carver: not too harsh of a ride, but able to handle really well on curvy roads. I like feeling g forces when going around tight corners.

I currently have 1" torsion bars, 1 1/8 front tubular sway bar, new shocks, and my stock springs. My handling potential is limited right now, as I'm currently running 14" steelies with 195/70 tires, but would one day like to upgrade to 17s, better tires, and possibly tubular upper control arms. I like how it drives right now, but the rear end needs some help.

I'm looking to get XHD springs or the Hotchkis springs after my next pay check. Would the Hotchkis springs be overkill for what I want? Or would they be a good investment for when I get better tires? I also plan on getting an adjustable rear sway bar at some point.

Right now, it sits like this:

2013-07-01155941_zps64ce5c79.jpg

It's a little low in the back, and a bit high in the front. I need to lower the torsion bars a bit. I'd like to get it to sit as close to this again as I can get it, but a tad higher in back:

100_5320_zpsacfe569f.jpg

Any body have some input as to which springs would be best for me?

The Hotchkis set up is superior though I have not has an issue with a leaf spring set up, I'm not just pushing it though. I do not understand why you want an adjustable rear sway bar. I've never seen one.

The XHD MP leafs will give the car a nice but not over done rake.

The hotchkis will drop you an inch which will be nice when feeling those g forces on the corners. If I had the money I'd go hotchkis.

I know a lot of guys will tell you a rear sway is unnecessary but I truly felt a difference in the barracuda when I installed it

Look into a rear anti roll bar, and look into eaton detroit spring( google them) i believe they can custom arch your springs so you can maintain the ride height you like (raise or lower).

Spend money on shipping them to and fro?

What do they charge for there service? Better be cheap because new MP springs are about $110 each.

have you considered the MP road race springs...they are avail. through Firm Feel.
i'm looking into these and wondering how they perform

I have a set of Mopar Oval track springs i'd be willing to sell. Hotchkis rear swaybars are adjustable and so are Hellwigs.

I'd run the Hotchkis sway bars for sure, but keep in mind, what bars you use for the rear you should use the same brand for the front as well. For even stability sake. What ever springs you use for the rear, make sure you get urethane bushings for the spring hangers to reduce any unwanted movement.

Don't forget you can also get adjustable front spring perches and alter your rear shacle to set ride height.
Buy the XHD as they can be had a little cheaper.

Money wasn't really an object when it came to the springs, so I went ahead and ordered the Hotchkis springs! They should be here by the middle of next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get a rear sway bar in the next couple months.

Thanks for the input, everybody! :cheers:

Money wasn't really an object when it came to the springs, so I went ahead and ordered the Hotchkis springs! They should be here by the middle of next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get a rear sway bar in the next couple months.

Thanks for the input, everybody! :cheers:

I have a set of Hotchkis springs with 3,000 miles on them for sale for $175.
You will need new rear shackle bushings is all.

-
Back