Leaky plug on master cylinder. Replace or repair?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
This is picture of the bottom of my master brake cylinder to my '65 Dodge Dart. Brake fluid is leaking around the brass colored plug that screws into the bottom.

Obviously I need to get the leak fixed. So before I run off to NAPA to get a new plug I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to try and work with the current plug? Is there some sort of tape or sealer I could use on the threads of the current plug that would seal the leak but not affect the brake fluid? Something like plumbers tape? Or should I just go get new plug and install it?

Any experienced hands have an idea?

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_4226.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 449
I would try some teflon tape on the plug. Mare sure that you keep it on the treads only so there is no chance of getting shreds of it in the master cylinder. I would be a bit concerned about chemical cross reactions of anything else. Does the shop manual address this anyone? Most likely I would start the dual cylinder upgrade.

Looks like it's running down from the line above it to me.

Attachments

• IMG_4226.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 309
If you care about your car and yourself, upgrade to a dual reservoir MC. In this day and age, I wouldn't spend a dime on that dinosaur.

Putting a dual reservoir system in is something most brake shops can do? Or no?

Glenn

Distribution block and possibly lines from later (67-76) car makes cloning dual res setup pretty simple, especially when running front discs. On a drum brake car it doesn't need to be any more complicated than a brass plug in the distribution block port to the rear brakes and extending the rear brake line to the front reservoir on the master cylinder.
Oil Filter Service in Portland can make up and/or supply virtually anything you would need including braided stainless flex lines to replace the stock rubber if you wanted to go that far. Great guys to deal with too.

If you care about your car and yourself, upgrade to a dual reservoir MC. In this day and age, I wouldn't spend a dime on that dinosaur.

lol thats funny. i agree.

dont be afraid to change it out yourself. its not hard. with the help on these forums, youll have it done in no time. :)

Ummm...this is turning into brakes for dummies (me).

So is a dual reservoir system mean one reservoir sends brake fluid to the front brakes and the other sends fluid to the rear?

And of course one can see an advantage to this system in that. If the brakes go bad on one line (front or rear) there is still the other line to stop the car. Correct? Or am I way off?

Glenn

Ummm...this is turning into brakes for dummies (me).

So is a dual reservoir system mean one reservoir sends brake fluid to the front brakes and the other sends fluid to the rear?

And of course one can see an advantage to this system in that. If the brakes go bad on one line (front or rear) there is still the other line to stop the car. Correct? Or am I way off?

Glenn

You are correct.

Okay. Brake rookie here. Am willing to give this a try if you all will assist me!

So what to I need? I'm guessing that dual reservoir systems were not stock on '65 Darts? Or at least mine didn't have it installed. So obviously I need a dual brake reservoir master cylinder and I imagine a bunch of fittings. Any ideas on what brand? Are there any conversion kits available?

Glenn

Okay. Brake rookie here. Am willing to give this a try if you all will assist me!

So what to I need? I'm guessing that dual reservoir systems were not stock on '65 Darts? Or at least mine didn't have it installed. So obviously I need a dual brake reservoir master cylinder and I imagine a bunch of fittings. Any ideas on what brand? Are there any conversion kits available?

Glenn

I tried to find a link to a thread on here to give you but came up empty. Maybe someone will chime in with a link that has good detailed information for you.

Glenn
53 You have two choices when you go with dual reservoirs. Either the 4 bolt or the newer 80's 2 bolt aluminum style. With the 2 bolt style you will need adapter plate also. The nice thing about newer is plastic reservoir w/screw on caps and it weighs 11 pounds less than other. Main body is aluminum. I just did mine that way. When I did mine I also changed all the lines,hoses,etc. I got all lines from fine lines brake lines in Ohio. Everything was pre-bent and went in its place. The worst one was the crossover on the firewall. I suggest if you need to bend any lines go buy a pair of those tube bending pliers. (harbor freight) Easier to use. Not difficult to do you just need to have alot of patience. Fine lines does have lines for your 65 I checked.

53 also you can go to top to SEARCH and type in SWAPPING MASTER CYLINDERS .A member did his 65 dart also.THREAD started by salinasjoel. That will give you a real good idea of how to convert. SEARCH IS A GOOD TOOL ON HERE TO USE.

-
Back