Let's Build a 416 with Cast Iron Heads and Manifolds

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
You never know where you'll go down the road and a 434 short block might be a good bases for a crazier build later. But piston choice would have to work with a variety of heads.

What are everyone's thoughts on this 435 kit from Hughes.

I see no issues with that....... especially at the expected power levels.

My view on the proposed build, since the OE intake won’t likely be used, is that the biggest hurdle for making power will be the exhaust manifolds.

As for the Indy LAX heads, to my knowledge they haven’t been available for several years, so even if the OP wanted some, he’d be looking for used ones.

Last edited:
Did I say it's cause of stroke length, not it's ability to breath with similar top ends.
Yep, quoted below.
I see displacement more as a powerband selecter,
I see where you’re going with this and it would be accurate if all the same parts are moved over from a smaller engine. A 340 for example will want to move more air at a higher rpm than a 408 or 434. At the smaller CID and W/the shorter stroke, it will need to turn more RPM’s where it will make the power. The larger 408/434 will need less RPM to move the same volume of air and fuel to make the same HP.

The ability to have an engine turn 7500/8500 is not regulated to its stroke. Though I’m sure I can point to a few engine on the extreme and not of the nature we work with here.

I'm not doing any FAST racing, but that is the theme I'm going for.

The thing many people don’t realize is........ the bulk of the mid-pack FAST cars don’t really make all that much power.
The ones a little higher up the ladder have figured out how to utilize what power they are making.

Sure, the top tier cars make big power........ but there aren’t that many of them....... and they’re the “top of the food chain” combos(hemi, l88, CJ, etc), accompanied by rather large budgets.

TTI has head pipes that route around the torsion bars without being pinched that bolt to the stock manifolds. Also straight through mufflers such a Dynomax Ultra Flo will help reduce back pressure allow engine to breath. That way you can get a high flow exhaust system to bolt to the stock manifolds.

Brian I am glad you chimed in. I was hoping to get your thoughts on what would need to be done to a set of J heads at this performance level?
Brian would be the man to help you get that engine combo matched up optimized

Brian I am glad you chimed in. I was hoping to get your thoughts on what would need to be done to a set of J heads at this performance level?
How far do you plan on modding the J heads ?

I'm starting with bare cores. The canvas is blank. I'm trying to get some idea what will need to be done to them? I'm not going to sink $5k into them, but I see a full port and gasket match in the future.

My suggestion is talk to KG engines in Ohio. They have a very decent cnc program for J heads that is very reasonably priced. Then send them to Porter Racing for the finishing touches and cam suggestion.

My suggestion is talk to KG engines in Ohio. They have a very decent cnc program for J heads that is very reasonably priced. Then send them to Porter Racing for the finishing touches and cam suggestion.
I think I would just have kg engines do the whole deal if they're doing the CNC work. Makes no sense to send them to another party after that.

I think I would just have kg engines do the whole deal if they're doing the CNC work. Makes no sense to send them to another party after that.
Eehh... I don't know how to say it a better way, but my experience and a couple others has been his cnc program is awesome, but his finish work left some on the table. Dwayne has his hands in most of the FAST builds and is a huge wealth of knowledge getting these combos working. Mine included.

PXL_20230108_201749186.jpg

Bronze guides, good machine work, porting to get about 275cfm (to keep it cost effective) and good valves/springs.

Anybody test those MP porting templates?

If you can flip the ship, KG's cnc yields 285 cfm int- for $850.00. Guides n vj etc extra.
I spoke with Dave yesterday evening, Nice guy. He gave me some rough figures. He has many programs, some are not available 'proprietary' but if he has a program for the head then he can do it. He could probably run the same program on a 308 except for the exhaust but that's easy maybe a half price deal there I don't know. He has 906 programs and so forth basically he's the guy that a lot of these engine Masters people will use or some of them will use they'll get a port the way they want it.. they'll take it to him to copy and run on the machine through the rest

Last edited:
Try Dan Smith AKA "Qwkmopardan". He has a very fast stock headed combo in the mid 9's with 400+ cubes.

Like I said before, I’m just throwing out ideas. If I’m paying for a stroker kit anyway, why not pay for another 19 cubic inches?

I’ma small block guy and I’m gonna stay that way. I’m not sure what you mean by “true colors kinda guy” but I have been a Mopar guy for almost fifty years now.
Like I said before, I’m just throwing out ideas. If I’m paying for a stroker kit anyway, why not pay for another 19 cubic inches?

I’ma small block guy and I’m gonna stay that way. I’m not sure what you mean by “true colors kinda guy” but I have been a Mopar guy for almost fifty years now.
To be a real purist, why even stroke it.
I have found going from a stock stroke to a stroker, all else being the same, only amounts to roughly 3 tenths, give or take a little bit.
With the stick, the car will actually have a chance of moving from point A to point B, compared to the tire smoldering and more clutch considerations with a stroker cranks.
12.40’s say one way, 12.70’s the other, or 11.80’s one way, 12 teens the other.
3 tenths I have found is just about where you can actually feel it in the seat of the pants… not night and day, but hey, feels a little stouter.

Following this. I'm building a 360. I have a set of X, and J heads, Wiseco pistons.
I'm a novice at this engine stuff, learning as I go. Will be going into my 66 B-Cuda.

ole man Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back