Let's talk... Ironhead Sportsters

-
Also some background about me, I taught myself how to build engines and work on my Duster from square one. No dad or uncle to show me the ropes just pure passion for old vehicles. I'm not afraid to learn a whole new machine and rebuild it into something unique, I just figured a motorcycle is smaller and less complex than a car and can give similar thrills for a lot less money (but it's much less safe, yes I know).
So here are a couple of pix of yours truly. In the wind on my dual plug shovel and the other, I had perhaps tapped out and was taking a siesta! I have been riding since before I was ten and had my first wreck with my grandfather in a liquor store parking lot in the gravel. I still ride and have a relatively strong opinion on the sportster. My Brother (RIP) had a Harley shop in which we hand built bikes for years long before Orange County madness. Do not use the sportster as a first bike, feel free to PM me and I can give you a litany of reasons on why not. Do not let your frame size deter you from getting "more" bike. There are a million ways to lower the stance on a bike just like a car. The peanut gas tank is another killer, you can barely go anywhere without topping off. And if you are with a group they can go twice as far. There are a lot of nice HDs for sale out there reasonably priced from folks that the only thing they put on their bike was chrome not miles. Just my .02

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

I’m 5’9” @ 190lbs. Your 6’ frame would IMO be a bit happier on a larger bike. Having owned a ‘03 XL1200C Sportster, is we’re I get my opinion from.

The pro to the sporty is they are better handling turning radius and quick off the line next to the larger bikes. The Sportster topped out at 115. The bigger V twins will go higher, but take a little longer to get going.

The Sportsters draw back which I kind of stated is top end. 115 mph. Lower in torque and hp and a small gas tank. The shorter wheel base can be a little tougher ride.

The typical peanut tank is 3.3 gallons. With the typical bolt on parts, exhaust, better air cleaner, jetted up carb with a screaming eagle ignition, the power went up in a big manor and I didn’t loose any mileage. I averaged 50 mpg’s and the best recorded mileage was 60 in sub 60 mph traffic during rush hour. Slow non stop movement in the 45-60 mph range. I noticed a big mileage drop at 70 & 70+. Lowest I recorded was 40-ish mpg.

The latest big V twins are now getting similar mileage if you keep the throttle relaxed. This is due to the F.I. & overdrive transmissions they now come with.

I would push you to a new bike. The evolution engine is newer, better, more advanced over the older engines which are becoming more and more difficult to get parts quickly for. There more reliable. Less cranky and troublesome. With only filter changes and spark plugs to contend with, they should be largely trouble free.

I love to see the older bikes up and running but it seems to me that all I hear are owners bitchin about something & not riding.

If and when I do this again, it will be a big V twin bike with overdrive. Ether a street glide or Dyna Wideglide. Which they stopped making the wideglide and dyna series.
I still love a carb over the FI. Which has the normal fly by wire split second hesitation.
Worked on a few back in the day when I worked on HD's for a living. Even restored a '79 Sportster.

My advice? STAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY AWAYYYYYYYYYYY

Buy a new sporty, '04 and newer if you want a Sportster. You'll spend more time fixing the Ironhead than riding it, and they're not easy to fix. They're simple, but the fixes usually involve completely overhauling whatever it is you're digging into.

And then whatever it was is still a POS.

Not worth it.
My dad had the old right hand 4 speed sportsters. Mine was an 03 883 with a wisco 1200 kit. Foot clutch, hand shift, lowered rear shocks, blacked out lenses, spoked wheels with white walls, low-cut seed with nice tall ape hangers. I'm very loud straight pipes LOL. It was the slowest heaviest pile of crap that I ever had. I loved it a lot but it was a passing love. I think they're heavy and have bad brakes and are not too enjoyable to ride whatsoever. honestly I think it's the Goldwing that I had last that messed me up. Damn that thing was comfortable!

My dad had the old right hand 4 speed sportsters. Mine was an 03 883 with a wisco 1200 kit. Foot clutch, hand shift, lowered rear shocks, blacked out lenses, spoked wheels with white walls, low-cut seed with nice tall ape hangers. I'm very loud straight pipes LOL. It was the slowest heaviest pile of crap that I ever had. I loved it a lot but it was a passing love. I think they're heavy and have bad brakes and are not too enjoyable to ride whatsoever. honestly I think it's the Goldwing that I had last that messed me up. Damn that thing was comfortable!

Very well said on all accounts

So here are a couple of pix of yours truly. In the wind on my dual plug shovel and the other, I had perhaps tapped out and was taking a siesta! I have been riding since before I was ten and had my first wreck with my grandfather in a liquor store parking lot in the gravel. I still ride and have a relatively strong opinion on the sportster. My Brother (RIP) had a Harley shop in which we hand built bikes for years long before Orange County madness. Do not use the sportster as a first bike, feel free to PM me and I can give you a litany of reasons on why not. Do not let your frame size deter you from getting "more" bike. There are a million ways to lower the stance on a bike just like a car. The peanut gas tank is another killer, you can barely go anywhere without topping off. And if you are with a group they can go twice as far. There are a lot of nice HDs for sale out there reasonably priced from folks that the only thing they put on their bike was chrome not miles. Just my .02

Also agreed. Don't let stance deter you. If you feel that you have to lower it, you need someone to teach you how to ride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="Being a midget and having some skills to ride a bike | it's really impressive - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honestly I would say bypass the Harley totally LOL I mean if you have to have one go through your stage of having one I did but really it's just heavy slow and loud.
it was fun when all my friends have them and we would race around with them all nice and loud but if your friends have crotch rockets or even a Japanese Sports touring you're going to be left in the dust.

Honestly I would say bypass the Harley totally LOL I mean if you have to have one go through your stage of having one I did but really it's just heavy slow and loud.
it was fun when all my friends have them and we would race around with them all nice and loud but if your friends have crotch rockets or even a Japanese Sports touring you're going to be left in the dust.
Jpar, note the front nacelle on the nap time bike. Figured you would enjoy some background. I did not have enough money to buy a real nacelle, I built the bike from a whole bunch of parts laying around clubhouse. To the point that it was called the "Frankenbike" So one evening in a fit of Hoppy infused ingenuity I fabricated the Nacelle. Flat top, rolled front. If you look close you can even see the stitch mark scar ( wife's toe nail polish) in upper left just like the movie. Complete with the largest Stainless steel bolts I had in the shop for the neck bolts! I figured if the brothers were going to relentlessly bust my nuts I would show them a real Frankenstein bike! The neck bolts proved invaluable to lash sleeping bag to! And as always nothing but straight pipes! Set off every car alarm! Hah! I am much better now ( read older!) and even ride one with shocks! Of course it is Sublime! More like a rolling couch than a bike!

IMG_1217.JPG

Jpar, note the front nacelle on the nap time bike. Figured you would enjoy some background. I did not have enough money to buy a real nacelle, I built the bike from a whole bunch of parts laying around clubhouse. To the point that it was called the "Frankenbike" So one evening in a fit of Hoppy infused ingenuity I fabricated the Nacelle. Flat top, rolled front. If you look close you can even see the stitch mark scar ( wife's toe nail polish) in upper left just like the movie. Complete with the largest Stainless steel bolts I had in the shop for the neck bolts! I figured if the brothers were going to relentlessly bust my nuts I would show them a real Frankenstein bike! The neck bolts proved invaluable to lash sleeping bag to! And as always nothing but straight pipes! Set off every car alarm! Hah! I am much better now ( read older!) and even ride one with shocks! Of course it is Sublime! More like a rolling couch than a bike!

View attachment 1715256636
Dad and I, 1970 something.
of course teaching me to put a beer in my hand at way too young of an age I didn't even like alcohol then. And of course I was taught to love it and it was nothing but a curse.
IMG_05551-1.jpg

Interesting responses... well my next choice was an old Yamaha XS650, if I ever do get a Harley big twin it definitely won't be my first bike. I want something old-school and fun to ride and has to be a 2-cylinder of some sort lol.

I've had quite a few harleys and still own a 2011 dyna fat bob. I'd honestly stay away from anything harley. Only real reason I still have mine is because it isnt worth selling because I'll lose too much money on it. The quality just isnt there for how much they cost. I've got a 2004 kawasaki zrx1200 its alot more fun to ride and alot more reliable.

PLEASE buy a 4stroke 250 dirt bike the same day.

Only ride the dirt bike for 6 months before you fire up the HD.

You cannot imagine the ways you can hurt yourself and I would like to read how much you enjoy riding later in the spring!

Dead on.

I have been riding for 40 years. Learn on a disposable small bike.
Wear gear. Anyone that says a helmet doesn’t work, is an idiot. I have the scars, and bulging discs, and torn acl/mcl etc.

Drive like everyone is trying to kill you.

They are.

Interesting responses... well my next choice was an old Yamaha XS650, if I ever do get a Harley big twin it definitely won't be my first bike. I want something old-school and fun to ride and has to be a 2-cylinder of some sort lol.

The XS650 also vibrates, not as much as a Harley, AND stuff does not fall off, it is top heavy...........something old school.......Norton 750........light, smooth, with a 21 tooth counter shaft sprocket, 70 mph is very comfortable.....Amal carbs DO idle........point ignition never failed me and always started first or second kick

I like the xs650.

Apparently the XS650 had similar performance numbers (1/4 mile) to the Sportster 1000, about the same HP but obviously much less torque but it's also 75-100 lbs lighter than a Sporty. I think i'll get an XS... i'll think about the cheap dirt bike thing too that's a good idea, have something to ride that's built to be dropped.

can alwas get one of triumphs modern classics.. old school looking.. can make it looks very cool , street tracker, cafe racer...etc...etc.. . reliable... probably only going 125 miles or so on a tank of gas though..

2009-triumph-bonneville-33.jpg

can alwas get one of triumphs modern classics.. old school looking.. can make it looks very cool , street tracker, cafe racer...etc...etc.. . reliable... probably only going 125 miles or so on a tank of gas though..

View attachment 1715257117
Leave it to Joe to reel me back in! Thumbs up on Norton!

I would LOOOVE a Triumph but the newer ones are a bit too costly for me right now and the older ones aren't cheap either.

I would LOOOVE a Triumph but the newer ones are a bit too costly for me right now and the older ones aren't cheap either.

I don’t know. What are ya looking to spend? I see the modern classics pop up quite often for 4500-5500 Depending in year maybe less.

I don’t know. What are ya looking to spend? I see the modern classics pop up quite often for 4500-5500 Depending in year maybe less.

LOL like, $1000-$2000 and that won't be for another year or so until after my Duster and Jeep are all sorted out. Heck I might even do the "wise" thing and wait until after I'm done with school (Masters in mech. engineering) depending on how much free time and money I'll have in the next year or 2.

You lost me at Yamahahahaha!

Nothing wrong with a vintage Yamaha in my opinion.

I ride a 1978 Yamaha DT175 with a Big Bore Kit & Stroker Crank. The little 2 Stroke is punched out to 297cc.

6-Speed, tops out at 14,000 rpm (though the stock Tach only winds to 12k) and far beyond what the speedometer will spin to. With my 115 pound butt on the seat she’s a Rocket.

4A30775C-D0FE-4CDD-AA10-67B8787FCBE9.jpeg

I've been eyeing late model (2007 and up) EFI 1200 Sporties on CL in the $3500-5K range.

They turn up frequently and sit for weeks or months, even at 3K or less.
One close enough to look at will eventually turn up with the features I want.

My brother just bought a newer Triumph 900 Scrambler (enduro style).
I liked it. Plenty of power and good balance although the bars seemed a bit wide.

Not what I'm looking for though.

For my next bike I need-
EFI
Disk brakes front and rear
No chain
and NO SPOKES

On a Sporty, I also need-
1200 cc
Forward controls
Passenger seat (girls really LOVE those famous H-D vibrations)

-
Back