LKQ back on with their BS...

-

junkyardhero

Reaction score
went to the yard today and pulled a bumper, got to the window to pay and the gal behind the bars says: that part isn't coming up in the system, it doesn't exist. the hell it doesn't, i just pulled it!

cue the supervisor. i give him the make and model again and dude tells me: oh, it's already been sold. i say wtf do you mean sold? i just pulled it off that vehicle. oh no no he says, guy came yesterday and paid for it.

evidently now for some type of fee they'll pull parts for you. anyway, i asked to see a receipt and sure as **** somebody bought it the day before. the invoice noted a "$20 pull charge" so i told the dude: well, i did your job for you, you owe me $20. and no ****, they paid me.

so just another chapter in the book of LKQ being scumbags. oh, and btw, they raised their prices again.

Yeah, I guess scrawling "SOLD" on it w/a grease pencil was too much to ask....

Junkyards should be first come, first serve. You reacted better than I would have. I'd have bolted it back on and cross threaded it after dragging it back through the yard to ruin it

Junkyards should be first come, first serve. You reacted better than I would have. I'd have bolted it back on and cross threaded it after dragging it back through the yard to ruin it
right? in what world does that make an ounce of sense?

so how does it work now? i see that they have the car online, go over there and see if the parts are still on it and that they're okay, then walk my *** back up to the window and ask if they're still available and how much they are (prices are changed on a whim and adhere to no kind, sort or type of reasoning) and if they are go all the way back to the car and pull the stuff and hope that somebody doesn't "buy" it before i get back to the window and pay?

absolutely insane.

i was hot about it for sure. and 100% i would've taken that thing and thrown it in some dark corner of a minivan on the otherside of the yard where they'd have to spend all day looking for it. imagine if you'd just spent a few hrs yanking a motor for them to pull that business on you!

Yeah, I guess scrawling "SOLD" on it w/a grease pencil was too much to ask....
or, hear me out, they actually pulled the part off the car.

but yeah, a sticker or grease pencil is too much? gtfo clowns.

right? in what world does that make an ounce of sense?

so how does it work now? i see that they have the car online, go over there and see if the parts are still on it and that they're okay, then walk my *** back up to the window and ask if they're still available and how much they are (prices are changed on a whim and adhere to no kind, sort or type of reasoning) and if they are go all the way back to the car and pull the stuff and hope that somebody doesn't "buy" it before i get back to the window and pay?

absolutely insane.

i was hot about it for sure. and 100% i would've taken that thing and thrown it in some dark corner of a minivan on the otherside of the yard where they'd have to spend all day looking for it. imagine if you'd just spent a few hrs yanking a motor for them to pull that business on you!
LKQ had a u pull style yard here and they had to close it to the public before going under. They couldn't compete with the local, family owned yards. They still have warehouses and I still see their trucks though.

If I had pulled an engine and they pulled that **** I'd have dropped a 10mm socket or whatever junkyard bolts i could find down the intake and walked away.

I feel your pain... but a couple years ago that company saved my ***.
My Jeep needed a body controller, as my original gave up the ghost. I couldn't find one anywhere... until I came across their website. They had a good used one for my model, and my Jeep is still on the road, because of that part. But as I said, I completely understand and agree they at a minimum should have marked the bumper sold.

I went to a yard in Calgary back in the fall looking for a few different things. I stumbled upon a pair of Pontiac rally wheels and immediately pulled them off. The tires were absolute junk, sure, they had tread on them, but the dates were 20 years old and the sidewalls were literally crumbling off. When I got to the cashier, she insisted that I had to pay for the tires, $40.00 EACH! I said I didn't want or need the tires, and that they were clearly unsafe, even pointed out the date codes. Nope, gotta pay for the tires, but they would give me a "credit" if I had them removed, at my expense of course, and brought them back within 48 hours. Uh, hell no, I live over 2 hours away, and I'm not going to pay someone for removing garbage tires when I can do it myself at home. I even spoke with a supervisor, showed her the date code and condition of the tires, still no way.
Went to another yard on the other side of the city, same ownership, and they clearly stated that if I found rims that I wanted, they would not charge me for the tires if they were not usable.
I explained what I had gone through with the other location and they were shocked, adamant that I should not have been expected to pay for garbage tires.
Great that there's consistency in the management of that place.

I went to a yard in Calgary back in the fall looking for a few different things. I stumbled upon a pair of Pontiac rally wheels and immediately pulled them off. The tires were absolute junk, sure, they had tread on them, but the dates were 20 years old and the sidewalls were literally crumbling off. When I got to the cashier, she insisted that I had to pay for the tires, $40.00 EACH! I said I didn't want or need the tires, and that they were clearly unsafe, even pointed out the date codes. Nope, gotta pay for the tires, but they would give me a "credit" if I had them removed, at my expense of course, and brought them back within 48 hours. Uh, hell no, I live over 2 hours away, and I'm not going to pay someone for removing garbage tires when I can do it myself at home. I even spoke with a supervisor, showed her the date code and condition of the tires, still no way.
Went to another yard on the other side of the city, same ownership, and they clearly stated that if I found rims that I wanted, they would not charge me for the tires if they were not usable.
I explained what I had gone through with the other location and they were shocked, adamant that I should not have been expected to pay for garbage tires.
Great that there's consistency in the management of that place.
I was just at a yard this morning. I got a bunch of weatherstripping, hardware, trim, and a window regulator. Cashier didn't care about the hardware or the rubber weatherstripping and only charged me for the chrome trim and regulator.

I don't think I've ever been charged for tires. Only thing I've ever seen is an up charge for aluminum rims. I've gotten really nice tires from junkyards before. You're doing them a favor buying rims with tires. That's one less tire they have to pay to dispose of and that adds up over multiple customers

I’m actually amazed they paid you! I’d buy a big fat carne asada burrito, no beans and a bottle of coke. Lunch on them!

-
Back