Looking for center console ideas

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
I am modernizing the interior of my '74 Duster. I want the following to be incorporated into my custom center console:

Two cup holders
USB charging port
Flip up armrest with storage well
Cut out for automatic floor shifter
GPS touchscreen 7" display (vertical at front of course)

Any ideas on a good starting point? I don't mind fabricating the thing but I will need cup holder inserts & armrest. I am pretty good with fiberglass and Masonite.

You on Facebook? A friend does custom car upholstery. He builds a lot of consoles for his custom builds. His photos might give you a idea or two. By the way, He has won a Ridler award award for a street rod he did and last year the rat rod pick-up he did won a GM Engineers award at SEMA. Boss Custom Interiors - Photos | Facebook

There was a thread here a while back that show cases a lot of FABO guys custom jobs.

Things I learned....

Have an idea and make a plan. Draw it out. Even if you failed art so bad they excused you from class right off the property.

Cardboard! Make it out of cardboard and then use it for a template.

Brackets. Secure it downwards and sideways and .....

Covering it. Some guys are talented and used leather/vinal really well. Carpet seemed easier to me.

Measure twice cut once!
Good luck and DO SO keep us informed.

Modern Classic interiors.
8ebd12251cfed847f254af7edce9e979.jpg
1bddac04aad3d085ecbeb68933330dc0.jpg

Just finished this one... started a thread about how unhappy I was with the sturdyness...Took a few days off and added some braces and it ended up pretty sturdy.Push Button tranny so no shifter will build a mount for the GPS. Electric trunk and starter button are in the storage compartment. If there is a next one I will do it way different than this one.

100_0538.JPG

100_0539.JPG

Just finished this one... started a thread about how unhappy I was with the sturdyness...Took a few days off and added some braces and it ended up pretty sturdy.Push Button tranny so no shifter will build a mount for the GPS. Electric trunk and starter button are in the storage compartment. If there is a next one I will do it way different than this one.

View attachment 1715010595

View attachment 1715010597
Looks good, any pics of it installed?

I got a used 2015 Jeep Cherokee black leather covered flip-up armrest. It is rear hinged and perfect condition. So I am going to build the console around that. Now I need a storage tub to go under it.

I got a used 2015 Jeep Cherokee black leather covered flip-up armrest. It is rear hinged and perfect condition. So I am going to build the console around that. Now I need a storage tub to go under it.
For what its worth... A rental company once put us in a Dodge Caliber. I really liked that console, lighted cup holders and all. Aint no way it was going to fit between my a-body seats. Good luck with yours

-
Back