Magnum block versus la oil filter adapter

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
After trying to install an la block angled oil filter adapter on a magnum block I found that the cork gasket that goes on the bolt between the block and adapter can't contact both the magnum block surface and the adapter surface to seal properly. The Magnum blocks have the center surface where the bolt threads in cut even with the outer gasket surface. The la blocks have a raised center. The difference in height causes the problem. I am going to shim the gasket with washers and thin bushings to solve this problem. Any one having an la block could you please Measure the height of that center surface to establish the shim height needed for proper gasket crush? Moderators, if you could ad this to the tech section it would help others.
Credit LeeinRI for the info on the block difference. Thanks Lee!

Last edited:
Greg call Superformance and see if he makes anything for you application.

Thanks for the info on the adapter plate. A new # is 53021053 for the plate. Cost is $6.75 and I just got the last one from a local dealer. They list them on line so should be available. The plate brings it about 3/8 of inch from the bolt hole.

Sorry, I'm new to this, if I have the 90 degree adapter for an LA block, can I use that on a magnum without an adapter plate? I'm having a magnum built at a reputable shop, so I assume the engine will have the adapter plate, but do I take it off if I'm going to use the 90 degree adapter?

brian

Sorry, I'm new to this, if I have the 90 degree adapter for an LA block, can I use that on a magnum without an adapter plate? I'm having a magnum built at a reputable shop, so I assume the engine will have the adapter plate, but do I take it off if I'm going to use the 90 degree adapter?

brian
You would use either the plate for a straight filter or an angle adapter for that angled backward filter placement, but never both at the same time. You can definitely remove the plate and gasket and install the angle adapter with its own correct gaskets and bolt on an LA.

I have not tried to put one of the angle adapters on a Magnum block yet. Hopefully someone knows that answer.

The plates are not interchangeable between LA and Magnum blocks because of the depth of the machining on the block itself, specifically the center bolt area.

I have not tried to put one of the angle adapters on a Magnum block yet. Hopefully someone knows that answer.
I have. Works fine. But I really had to tighten the bolt to it correct torque to stop leakage...

....did you mean that the torque too loose or too tight leaked? What torque did you use?

-
Back