Oil filter mounting????????

-

cpearce

Reaction score
Good evening everyone,

My 90 degree filter adapter was leaking so I removed and was going to replace with a straight on mount using double male fitting and plate with new gasket.

The problem I encountered is the plate is contacting the block at bolt area before the gasket sealing surface comes into contact with block. The engine I am putting this onto is a 91 roller cam LA block, the block I removed it from is an 89 roller cam LA block. On the 91 block the center area where bolt goes through sticks out past gasket suraface, on 89 the two surfaces are flush. Any ideas? We're there different plates on different years?

Wow, that's weird. Never heard of this issue. I could send you some parts to try out. Return what you don't use and your bad one. Sound good? If so, PM me.

They are different. Get a setup from a 91 or later Magnum block.
This is from a rebuild engine book I have and this info is correct.

This was the year that Chrysler standardized all of its oil filters, so it made some very subtle changes to the block, along with a few other related parts:

•The threaded boss that the oil filter adapter screws into was shortened by about .250". It was now even with the machined surface on the inside diameter of the filter casting instead of being flush with the cast surface on the block.

•The threaded oil filter adapter was about 0.250" longer. It measured 1.460" in overall length instead of 1.240"

•The arch of the adapter plate was changed to match the shorter length of the boss. The new plate (p/n 53009219) can be easily identified because it has six holes instead of the four that were used on the earlier plate.

They are different. Get a setup from a 91 or later Magnum block.
This is from a rebuild engine book I have and this info is correct.

This was the year that Chrysler standardized all of its oil filters, so it made some very subtle changes to the block, along with a few other related parts:

•The threaded boss that the oil filter adapter screws into was shortened by about .250". It was now even with the machined surface on the inside diameter of the filter casting instead of being flush with the cast surface on the block.

•The threaded oil filter adapter was about 0.250" longer. It measured 1.460" in overall length instead of 1.240"

•The arch of the adapter plate was changed to match the shorter length of the boss. The new plate (p/n 53009219) can be easily identified because it has six holes instead of the four that were used on the earlier plate.
Thanks for the help on this, i am all squared away now. I listed the engines incorrectly, one in car is the 89 and one I took plate from was the 91. Lucky for me I also have a 1990 over at a friend's place. I have harvested the plate and drilled extra oil holes in it. Tonight after work I will be installing it. Thanks again!

Thanks for the help on this, i am all squared away now. I listed the engines incorrectly, one in car is the 89 and one I took plate from was the 91. Lucky for me I also have a 1990 over at a friend's place. I have harvested the plate and drilled extra oil holes in it. Tonight after work I will be installing it. Thanks again!
Glad you are squared away. Have fun with your car.

-
Back