Magnum bypass hose alternatives?

-

YY1

Reaction score
So, this is about the fourth time counting three water pumps, but no pump this time.

Not terrible for 165K miles but this time the nipple in the intake is fairly well corroded and not sealing well.

This is probably going to involve pulling the intake.

Is there any alternative?

I'm thinking something like the newer sink and toilet supply lines with a braided hose sheath and screw on ends with internal rubber washers.

Getting that hose on a Magnum is 20X more difficult than it is on an LA.

Something that eliminates all the contorting of the hose would be great.

I don't know if sink and toilet supply hoses are made to handle the temps in an engine. But AN fittings and with 90* or something similar could work. I'll be attacking that one eventually I know. I made a standard one work, but I really didn't care for the abrupt bends.

You mean the fitting on the intake?
Which is best gotten to via removing all the accessories on the front of the engine so you can remove the hunk of aluminum that they mount to.
It's pretty easy.

Yeah, I understand what's involved to remove the fitting from the intake, but since there's precious little room to work without removing the whole manifold, I thought I'd investigate something that might be easier to deal with in the future.

I wasn't suggesting using home repair plumbing parts but the concept is sold if the parts were the correct size and strength.

I looked through the selection of "Earl's" fittings on the Jegs site but didn't really see anything that stuck out as readily adaptable.

Also it looks like there would need to be an additional adapter to convert from 3/4 NPT to AN on both ends, which would encroach on the limited space for the actual hose.

Anyone know what AN size is equivalent to the 1" of the bypass hose? I did not know hose was also measured in AN sizes.

Seems like there might be a market for this if done properly.

Yeah, I understand what's involved to remove the fitting from the intake, but since there's precious little room to work without removing the whole manifold, I thought I'd investigate something that might be easier to deal with in the future.

I wasn't suggesting using home repair plumbing parts but the concept is valid if the parts were the correct size and strength.

I looked through the selection of "Earl's" fittings on the Jegs site but didn't really see anything that stuck out as readily adaptable.

Also it looks like there would need to be an additional adapter to convert from 3/4 NPT to AN on both ends, which would encroach on the limited space for the actual hose.

Anyone know what AN size is equivalent to the 1" of the bypass hose? I did not know hose was also measured in AN sizes.

Seems like there might be a market for this if done properly.

With 165K miles on the clock, its time to swap out the belly pan gasket as well as the bypass nipple. If you are eating water pumps, consider an electric fan. If you want to keep corrosion to a minimum, change your anti freeze every 30-50K, it will prolong water pump life as well. There is not market for replacing a $6 rubber hose every 100K with $75 in AN fittings that will last just as long. I can pull a magnum intake and change all gaskets in an hour if I hustle so get a new nipple, hose, belly pan gasket or better yet a plate, intake gaskets and some new coolant....its pretty easy. Dont forget new intake bolts which come in aluminum belly pan kit

-
Back