Magnum Offset keyways

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Trying to degree my Hughes Cam in which is 107 centreline. The closest I can get it in at is 109.

The timing set is Mopar Performance and it was impossible to get it dot to dot. Has anyone used these offset keys and how did they work out for you.

1973 Duster
408 Magnum

going out on limb here. the crank gear is not made right. check it against a good gear. you DID keep the old one didnt you?

The offset keys are inexpensive and easy to use. Worst cast, you installed it the wrong way and need to flip it.

I have used both 2* and 4* offset keys with no problems at all. Have a 2* in my 416 w cloyes .250 double roller chain and cloyes tensioner, so quality gears makes no difference at all, it is either on or it is off. I personally rather have it a couple * advanced over retarded

If you cannot get it dot to dot, something is wrong. The farthest I have ever had to deal with being off was only one degree.

Apparently Mopar doesn't sell these offset keys anymore p5249600. Here is some pics where I have it at the moment and when I degree it in it is coming in at 109* as stated above.

Have thrown my other old timing set out so cant compare. Looks like another timing set with multiple adjustments.

Attachments

• Timing Set.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Timing Set2.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 216
Mr Gasket sells them. Closest i could get my 416 was 109* Cam is ground on 110* and i wanted to install it 2* advanced (108*) Sure 109* was close and most would have said good enough, but I had the 2* key way so WTH I threw it in and got it centerlined @ 107* (3* advanced) Im happy with that. I install on the advanced side when I can. 4* advanced on 340-360 and 2* on longer stroked engines. Installed the cam ground on 108* @ 104* in my 340 and that pulls hard rite off idle (for a 340) More to it than that. Static and dynamic compression will decipher where you want your cam centerlined

That's off by a ton. No doubt, you're doing something wrong. I wish you were local to me, I would come straighten it out and we'd share some beers.

Did someone say Beer. Goddam it's hot here I could skull down 1/2 a dozen.

Ok Im no expert by any means but I have piston 1 at the top of cylinder, Cam gear dot facing down and no matter which way I turn crank gear keys it will not line up dot to dot. Where I have it at them moment is 109*

If I have done something wrong please speak up. I was thinking that cam and timing gear was mismatched brands and that might have something to do with it.

TDC on the compression stroke both dots should be @ 12:00. Remember that when you drop your dizzy in. see lots of guys go dot to dot and dizzy is 180* off. I think some are looking at the dot on the crank sprocket by the key way. That is not the line up dot, just the dot saying you are on the 0 key way.

That's off by a ton. No doubt, you're doing something wrong. I wish you were local to me, I would come straighten it out and we'd share some beers.

Sending you a plane ticket in the spring! LOL!

Did someone say Beer. Goddam it's hot here I could skull down 1/2 a dozen.

Ok Im no expert by any means but I have piston 1 at the top of cylinder, Cam gear dot facing down and no matter which way I turn crank gear keys it will not line up dot to dot. Where I have it at them moment is 109*

If I have done something wrong please speak up. I was thinking that cam and timing gear was mismatched brands and that might have something to do with it.

You simply have it off a tooth or three. You need to take it back apart and have another go at it.....as yall say down there. lol

franko60;I have cam/crank dot to dot with 1 and 6 on power stroke; with all this done ;now my question is my roter on my distributer should be pointing to #6 cylinder??? iam I right?

franko60;I have cam/crank dot to dot with 1 and 6 on power stroke; with all this done ;now my question is my roter on my distributer should be pointing to #6 cylinder??? iam I right?

if cam gear is at 6 o'clock..and crank gear at 12 ....you are on #6 firing....

once cam is degreed...move it to cam gear 12 ..and crank gear 12 ...No. 1 firing..

-
Back