Maxi is in the Hospital......

-

jsw_img_1578.jpg

Great progress and strides made in 24 hours Joe. :-D

Keep up the "nursing" skills and Maxi will be herself again in no time. Super news.....congrats 8)

barge, That pic is priceless!! I'll have to see if Gracy will strike a pose for Maxi too!

Great news Joe. Animals are amazing things aren't they. My cat got hit by a car years back and they said right away that they had to amputate his leg.My wife didn't know what to do and i told her he would be ok without it.They held off and 2 days later he started making a recovery that puzzled them.Well he recovered completely! And tormented me for many more years,lol.:-D

Oops ,sorry,should I be whispering?

My cable has went out last night till know Joe :angry7:
I just went through the posts and I was glad to see Nikki was allot of help and the good news of Maxi doing her business peeing :cheers:
Our prayers "Treva and I" go out to you and Maxi "Mad Max"
I am so glad you are a strong man and able to see this through bro
We are here for ya and sounds like you have a great vet.
Give Merlin and maxi a scratch for me and Treva said for me to say she is so sorry to here what has happened :pale:
Please continue keeping us up dated :happy10:

OK !! Buddy had to say something :happy10:

SUPER BOWL IVIV 2010 164.jpg

We were playing fetch indoors with a new toy (I replaced "Big Mean Kitty" with a new one) and she jumped, twisted and slipped on the wood floor and fell on her back with a big yelp. I brought her to the emergency room and found she has broke her left rear tibia and blew out her tarsus. I just got back from the hospital with out her as she's going to need surgery and is totally doped up on morphine and is puking, crapping and in serious pain. She will need surgery and may always walk with a limp. The surgeon will call me tomorrow. Please send her some prayers. Please send one my way too, I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Ramcharger, Maxi,
OMG! I am so sorry! I was on you're other thread wondering how the vet visit went!
Prayers sent!
Rottie smoochers sent from Lex and Vinnie.

Side note:
Vinnie (Rott) Tore legiments in his rear hip and leg. I can't begin to tell you the names. He injured himself skateboarding with our son!
Our vet whom we have been with through many rottie litters back in the day, told us there was an operation with monofiliment and pins that would get his joints in the hip riding on the cartlage again instead of bone on bone like now.
He said the operation was $5K! He said, John, you could blow all that money and maybe help but probibly not. Vinnie is very muscular, we bring him through the initial injury, swelling reduction. Bring his weight down to 125. Start walking regularly. WALKING...........He's like us at our age John. He will have some good days and bad days. Glucostomine etc.. Some pain mgt. when needed and he should be as good as you or I........
It's been about 4 years now. I have only been able to get him as low as 130 and as of last visit a month ago back to 140!
He doesn't get up as early as the beagle. He walks with a sidways limp/gate, but still charges and runs the fence line like he's in it for blood. I'm always yelling at him to calm down.
He's living a good life, with bad days and good. Mostly good! Not surgery, lots of bandage cast changing at first. Not perfect but not $5K either!
Sending your family and Maxi Good Warm Karma, Prayers, Well Wishes.

maxi get well.jpg

First I want to let you all know how she's dong. She's clomping around and ate just a little while ago. Not much (about a half cup) but she's eating and tells me that she's feeling better. She's not whining anymore either so that's good. I've been massaging her hips to keep the blood flowing and checking her toes inside the cast. So far, so good. I'm about ready to give her her second pain med for the day.

I have a couple IV bags that I put over the cast when I walk her outside. I only walk her with a leash and without Merlin (he wants to play and he's too big, he'll hurt her for sure). She goes just around the yard once then want in right away. I think she feels somewhat frustrated. I don't want to over do it either. She's at my feet right right now. :)

Great progress and strides made in 24 hours Joe. :-D

Keep up the "nursing" skills and Maxi will be herself again in no time. Super news.....congrats 8)

barge, That pic is priceless!! I'll have to see if Gracy will strike a pose for Maxi too!

Thanks 6pk! I'm not much of nurse but I'm doing my best.

Great news Joe. Animals are amazing things aren't they. My cat got hit by a car years back and they said right away that they had to amputate his leg.My wife didn't know what to do and i told her he would be ok without it.They held off and 2 days later he started making a recovery that puzzled them.Well he recovered completely! And tormented me for many more years,lol.:-D

Oops ,sorry,should I be whispering?

Pets are amazing. :)

Mugsy sends his best wish's for a speedy and strong recovery. :thumbrig:

Hey Mugsy!

My cable has went out last night till know Joe :angry7:
I just went through the posts and I was glad to see Nikki was allot of help and the good news of Maxi doing her business peeing :cheers:
Our prayers "Treva and I" go out to you and Maxi "Mad Max"
I am so glad you are a strong man and able to see this through bro
We are here for ya and sounds like you have a great vet.
Give Merlin and maxi a scratch for me and Treva said for me to say she is so sorry to here what has happened :pale:
Please continue keeping us up dated :happy10:

OK !! Buddy had to say something :happy10:

Thanks Mike! You guys are the best. This is just another hurdle life has thrown in my and Maxi's path. We will overcome. :clock:

Ramcharger, Maxi,
OMG! I am so sorry! I was on you're other thread wondering how the vet visit went!
Prayers sent!
Rottie smoochers sent from Lex and Vinnie.

Side note:
Vinnie (Rott) Tore legiments in his rear hip and leg. I can't begin to tell you the names. He injured himself skateboarding with our son!
Our vet whom we have been with through many rottie litters back in the day, told us there was an operation with monofiliment and pins that would get his joints in the hip riding on the cartlage again instead of bone on bone like now.
He said the operation was $5K! He said, John, you could blow all that money and maybe help but probibly not. Vinnie is very muscular, we bring him through the initial injury, swelling reduction. Bring his weight down to 125. Start walking regularly. WALKING...........He's like us at our age John. He will have some good days and bad days. Glucostomine etc.. Some pain mgt. when needed and he should be as good as you or I........
It's been about 4 years now. I have only been able to get him as low as 130 and as of last visit a month ago back to 140!
He doesn't get up as early as the beagle. He walks with a sidways limp/gate, but still charges and runs the fence line like he's in it for blood. I'm always yelling at him to calm down.
He's living a good life, with bad days and good. Mostly good! Not surgery, lots of bandage cast changing at first. Not perfect but not $5K either!
Sending your family and Maxi Good Warm Karma, Prayers, Well Wishes.

As long as she can live a pain free life, that's all that matters. The vet did mention that I needed to bring her weight down to about 65-70 lbs. She's about 10 over that. I'm sorry to hear about Vinnie, he's such a great looking Rott too. I wouldn't want to tangle with him. :-D I was a GSD guy but the calm, stoic, Rottwieler attitude has won me over and I'll be a Rott man for life.

I'm going out tomorrow to get them the "good stuff" from pet fart with the glucosomine and chondriotin. The doc said that that would be a wise move.

This is what we give Titan for the over weight and joint problems instead of Milk Bone etc. They come in 4 cookie bricks which can be broken apart to whatever size you want.

jsw_img_1579.jpg

I've heard really good things about Canidae food, as matter of fact, I picked up a sample just last Wednesday to if they'd like it (they love it). Gave Merlin really bad gas though, lol. That could change as he gets used to it.

First I want to let you all know how she's dong. She's clomping around and ate just a little while ago. Not much (about a half cup) but she's eating and tells me that she's feeling better. She's not whining anymore either so that's good. I've been massaging her hips to keep the blood flowing and checking her toes inside the cast. So far, so good. I'm about ready to give her her second pain med for the day.

I have a couple IV bags that I put over the cast when I walk her outside. I only walk her with a leash and without Merlin (he wants to play and he's too big, he'll hurt her for sure). She goes just around the yard once then want in right away. I think she feels somewhat frustrated. I don't want to over do it either. She's at my feet right right now. :)

Thanks 6pk! I'm not much of nurse but I'm doing my best.

Pets are amazing. :)

Hey Mugsy!

Thanks Mike! You guys are the best. This is just another hurdle life has thrown in my and Maxi's path. We will overcome. :clock:

As long as she can live a pain free life, that's all that matters. The vet did mention that I needed to bring her weight down to about 65-70 lbs. She's about 10 over that. I'm sorry to hear about Vinnie, he's such a great looking Rott too. I wouldn't want to tangle with him. :-D I was a GSD guy but the calm, stoic, Rottwieler attitude has won me over and I'll be a Rott man for life.

I'm going out tomorrow to get them the "good stuff" from pet fart with the glucosomine and chondriotin. The doc said that that would be a wise move.

Vinnie to Maxi:
Remind Dad about the 100mg rimadyl (from vet) for those bad days. Just shove 1/2 into vienna sausage! (Not for taste, just slides down to gullet faster without hangup! You know, anything around a Big Mack and under = 1 bite!) Find at any vet or vet meds supply!

John to Ramcharger:
Good Luck man. I feel for ya, really I do.
I usually get a 4 cap pack from vet every once in a while. Popped his first 1/2 pill in over a year the other night. (plowing through all the snow)
Please keep us all posted on progress.
God Bless.

Hope Maxi gets better! My Dog just died on the 15th so i know how you feel! Hopefully your dog wont need to be put down! And hopefully you will have the ability to spend time with her! When i found out it was very expected and I only had 1 and a half hours to spend with her that day before she had to be put down! So I'll pray she gets better and you can spend more time with your dog!

Quote by ramcharger =Thanks 6pk! I'm not much of nurse but I'm doing my best.
I bet you are a darn good one and go beyond a nurses calling bud :happy10:
You take care of your self to now ya hear 8) You must be plum tuckerd out
Get some rest while Maxi is resting brother :clock:

I've heard really good things about Canidae food, as matter of fact, I picked up a sample just last Wednesday to if they'd like it (they love it). Gave Merlin really bad gas though, lol. That could change as he gets used to it.

Now that you mention it....I remember Titan being a WMD for awhile but it's not so bad now.

Vinnie to Maxi:
Remind Dad about the 100mg rimadyl (from vet) for those bad days. Just shove 1/2 into vienna sausage! (Not for taste, just slides down to gullet faster without hangup! You know, anything around a Big Mack and under = 1 bite!) Find at any vet or vet meds supply!

Rimadyl is what the vet prescribed for me. I get one in the morning and one at night. Dad thinks he's real slick by molding it in a ball of bread but I don't care. :) I love bread! I sure like sausage too. Hmmmmm......

John to Ramcharger:
Good Luck man. I feel for ya, really I do.
I usually get a 4 cap pack from vet every once in a while. Popped his first 1/2 pill in over a year the other night. (plowing through all the snow)
Please keep us all posted on progress.
God Bless.

I'll have to call the vet about having a supply on hand. I forsee a long road here, but time will tell. Thanks again John and I'll keep everyone posted as to her progress.

Hope Maxi gets better! My Dog just died on the 15th so i know how you feel! Hopefully your dog wont need to be put down! And hopefully you will have the ability to spend time with her! When i found out it was very expected and I only had 1 and a half hours to spend with her that day before she had to be put down! So I'll pray she gets better and you can spend more time with your dog!

Thanks Axels. I truly hope that I don't have to make that decision in the near future and damn near thought I'd have too on Friday afternoon. I'm so sorry to hear of your buddy and he's now in the "Land of the Slow Squirrels" as I like to think of it.

Quote by ramcharger =Thanks 6pk! I'm not much of nurse but I'm doing my best.
I bet you are a darn good one and go beyond a nurses calling bud :happy10:
You take care of your self to now ya hear 8) You must be plum tuckerd out
Get some rest while Maxi is resting brother :clock:

I'm beat Mike. The cocktails last night didn't help either, lol. I do need some rest.

Now that you mention it....I remember Titan being a WMD for awhile but it's not so bad now.

Merlin about blew me off the couch. I swear it smelled like he took a dump right there on my lap. :-D

Canidae is the food I feed my pack. Good food that is high quality yet affordable. The gas will be there for a week or two but stick with Canidae.

Canidae is the food I feed my pack. Good food that is high quality yet affordable. The gas will be there for a week or two but stick with Canidae.

OK, one more vote for Canidae! While I was leaving a job site last week I realized I was right in front of a little pet store. I went in and spoke with a very attractive woman who happened to be the owner. She recommended Canidae as well as another food called "Taste of the Wild" which has no grains and is made bison, venison and some veggies. It's very, very pricey though so I think I'll stick with the Canidae. It's a pretty reasonable price and comes in a 44 pound bag. Prior to loosing my job, I was feeding them Nutro Ultra Large Breed dog food. The gal said that Canidae is better. I think they sponsor a pro-stock car IIRC.

She wants me to bring the dogs in too, so I'll need to bring Merlin in with me tomorrow. Did I mention that this woman is hot? :-D She had a great, strong handshake too. :)

Take a look at this dog food Joe. It's made in the province beside Alberta and is sold in a half dozen stores in Denver. No corn or barley, does have rice but made with real fish, eggs, real chicken not chicken byproducts, fruits and vegetables and is as high as 35% protein. They also have weight watchers dog food and I'll guarantee your dogs will love it, Jakes been on it since bringing him home and my brothers got a American Eskimo that wouldn't eat dried dog food till he got a bowl of this stuff. He loves it.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

I'll have to call the vet about having a supply on hand. I forsee a long road here, but time will tell. Thanks again John and I'll keep everyone posted as to her progress.

Only draw back is, they think they are Super Dog on em. When doing meds, really have to be supervised or they will reinjure themselves!8)
Vinnie was supposed to do 1 in Am & 1 at night 2, but he was out.
Finally weened him down to half whenever. (bout 1/2 a pill a month on average)
Best wishes!8)

OK, one more vote for Canidae! While I was leaving a job site last week I realized I was right in front of a little pet store. I went in and spoke with a very attractive woman who happened to be the owner. She recommended Canidae as well as another food called "Taste of the Wild" which has no grains and is made bison, venison and some veggies. It's very, very pricey though so I think I'll stick with the Canidae. It's a pretty reasonable price and comes in a 44 pound bag. Prior to loosing my job, I was feeding them Nutro Ultra Large Breed dog food. The gal said that Canidae is better. I think they sponsor a pro-stock car IIRC.

She wants me to bring the dogs in too, so I'll need to bring Merlin in with me tomorrow. Did I mention that this woman is hot? :-D She had a great, strong handshake too. :)

We use Taste of the Wild for all 4 of our dogs..They really seem to like it and we did a google search for the best dog food and it was one of the top 2 or 3. We get ours at Tractor Supply and it is reasonably priced.

What kind of dog does she have and what does she drive ? Inquiring minds ya know.

She's got a big old mastiff mix that hangs out at the store. :-D I don't what she drives though....

Take a look at this dog food Joe. It's made in the province beside Alberta and is sold in a half dozen stores in Denver. No corn or barley, does have rice but made with real fish, eggs, real chicken not chicken byproducts, fruits and vegetables and is as high as 35% protein. They also have weight watchers dog food and I'll guarantee your dogs will love it, Jakes been on it since bringing him home and my brothers got a American Eskimo that wouldn't eat dried dog food till he got a bowl of this stuff. He loves it.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

Thank you DS, I'll look into that today.

Only draw back is, they think they are Super Dog on em. When doing meds, really have to be supervised or they will reinjure themselves!8)
Vinnie was supposed to do 1 in Am & 1 at night 2, but he was out.
Finally weened him down to half whenever. (bout 1/2 a pill a month on average)
Best wishes!8)

Thanks John!

We use Taste of the Wild for all 4 of our dogs..They really seem to like it and we did a google search for the best dog food and it was one of the top 2 or 3. We get ours at Tractor Supply and it is reasonably priced.

No Tractor Supply here in Colorado. I'll google the food and see if I can find a supplier that's a little less pricey than than the dog store with the hot chick. :) My dogs rip though about 75 pounds of food a month, so it gets pricey real quick.

I havent bought food in over a month and I buy 35lb bags. My 4 dogs dont eat much when they are all under 12lbs.

-
Back