melted wires

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. the two big wires that go from my bulkhead connector to the amp gauge are melted. do you guys know what would cause this. the wiring under the dash is pretty hacked up. i was thinking of fixing it. but just putting a universal harness in is tempting too, since my fuse block is pretty shot too. any input?

hey guys. the two big wires that go from my bulkhead connector to the amp gauge are melted. do you guys know what would cause this. the wiring under the dash is pretty hacked up. i was thinking of fixing it. but just putting a universal harness in is tempting too, since my fuse block is pretty shot too. any input?

Sounds it is time to clean things up a bit for something catches on fire LOL!

Check this out:

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

also this is ezwiring installed by cudaspaz scroll to post #13

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=38486

The fusable link was sopposed to prevent that. It wont always. The amp gauge itself could have caused it. More often its pizz poor wirring of sterios and the like that cause the factory wirring to fail.

yeah, someone stripped a bunch of insulation off two wires, twisted them up together and shoved it in the fuse box. bare wire! im spurised it didnt short everything out right away. oh well. i just pick up a 63 valiant service manual today. i may just restore the wiring harness. this book is very detailed.

Those wires can and have burned out and caused fires before. There guage isn't really up to it but that connectors are not so great and more so a problem.

is the fuseable link the part of the bulkhead where the two wires bolt on? it would be nice to restore the origional harness. but it doesnt seem like a good design compared to putting in an all new setup with blade fuses and more circuits

Untill you decide, the quick fix is to eliminate the poorly designed spade connectors and splice in good wire through the firewall connector....

It usually is because of the alternator sticking "wide open" and internally grounding. The fusible link is on the opposite end of this circuit. Probably was a Kragen alternator. Just pull out the harness, match up wiring and redo it with the next gauge up wire.

-
Back