Milodon hardened shaft with bronze distributor gear

-
No real reason. Just it is still steel. I don't know what the hell "melonized" even means. Worry about my cam long term.

It means this....( a short, but informative read)

Understanding MELONIZING & The Salt Bath Nitriding Process / North East Coating Technologies

I have wondered if cryogenically freezing the bronze gear would increase it's service life. I switched to the Melonized gear, as I changed rollers and have a fresh cam, so I won't be finding out. (I hope).

The best "trick" I've found to extending the life of any distributor drive gear, especially the bronze ones, is to use a properly adjusted locking collar on the distributor shaft to hold the gear within a certain wear pattern on the cam.

It means this....( a short, but informative read)

Understanding MELONIZING & The Salt Bath Nitriding Process / North East Coating Technologies

I have wondered if cryogenically freezing the bronze gear would increase it's service life. I switched to the Melonized gear, as I changed rollers and have a fresh cam, so I won't be finding out. (I hope).

The best "trick" I've found to extending the life of any distributor drive gear, especially the bronze ones, is to use a properly adjusted locking collar on the distributor shaft to hold the gear within a certain wear pattern on the cam.
Yep me too. I locktite and peen the setscrew with .005 clearance between top of gear and bushing.

-
Back