Minitubs almost finished

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went out to the farm to see how my buddy was doin on the dart and he is almost finished with my minitubs! I don't have a plasma cutter, welder, or the skills necessary to do it myself, so I'm having my neighbor do it. He has a few loose ends to finish up, but should be done by next weekend and I can get the car back home in my garage. Here are some picts.

9-5-08004.jpg

9-5-08005.jpg

He smeared some sort of rubberized sealer over all the welds and it was still wet when I took the pictures. I plan on shooting the whole trunk with ZeroRust when I get it home, and the tubs should look fairly stock.

Overall I'm pretty stoked about the job he did and can't wait to get back on the project. I have some 11" brakes and new Yukon axles to install, then I can take measurements and order my new wheels and tires!!!

If some one did this to my car I would f*("** out of them

this is a clean beautiful mini tub job

I would be interested in seeing whats under all that crap.

He should have used a little seem sealer on there other side of the tubs and skim coated the trunk side with filler so it could be painted.

I 'm wondering how the paint is gonna stick on that rubber stuff.

Sorry to give you grief about it as you are clearly excited about having room for big wheels now, and I can totally relate to the situation.

Seems when you have stuff done to your car from other people, three things look awesome, but there is always one thing that stands out that makes you ask yourself "what the hell were they thinking?"

Then you gotta tell yourself "Okay, nobody needs to see the inside of the trunk."

When I had the body shop paint my car, they were supposed to seam seal and clean up the tub areas to make it look smooth, but the moron's freaking painted the car without touching the seams or cleaning them up so I brought it to their attention after the fact and they seam sealed over the paint and did not clean up the area well at all.
They were in a hurry to make room for other projects and screwed me over even after I talked to them about it.

I decided, screw it, I'm gonna line the whole trunk with something and cover it all up then.

Pictures speak louder than words.

cuda22.jpg

I agree. I freaked out a little when I first saw it. I saw the tubs before he spread that stuff on it and the welds looked great. He ground everything down flush. The guy does really nice work, that is why I let him do the job in the first place. This car is going to be a weekend warrior that gets the wheels driven off of it, I doubt anyone will ever see the trunk.

As far as painting over it, we'll have to wait and see. I just spoke with him on the phone and he thought that I was going to cover the area with the Dynamat that I used on the interior. He said that rubberized sealer WILL NOT get hard, and will not take paint. F**K!!!!

Now I guess I will have to at least Dynamat the tubs to hide that crap!! I'll see what it looks like after I shoot the rest of the trunk all black.

Well, theres allways time and elbow grease to get things the way you want it. He did the hard part, you do the rest.

You could always get a wire wheel or wire brush to remove that stuff and finish it off nicer, but I do share the same opinion as you, nobodys gonna see the inside of the trunk much.

One thing I've learned with this project is that Sh*t happens and nothing goes perfectly.

I've had all day to think about it.

I'm going to spray the whole trunk, except the rubberized tubs, with black ZeroRust. Once that has had a week or two to set, I'll spray the tubs only with rubberized undercoating. The inside of the quarter panels were already sprayed from the factory with something similar. I think I can put enough on to hide the swirl marks my buddy made with his fingers!! ARGGG!!!

Just hope the rubber seals the moisture out, not in...
otherwise, it's putty knife+propane torch+fire extinguisher time...and clean it all back off.

Yeah it's like your best bet is to remove it and go from there. If Dynamat will stick to it do you think you could fiberglass over it?

Just hope the rubber seals the moisture out, not in...
otherwise, it's putty knife+propane torch+fire extinguisher time...and clean it all back off.

I'm not too worried about moisture. The car was relatively dry to begin with, the only rust issue was small pin holes in the pass floorboard and that was replaced with new metal. It stays in the garage and doesn't see much moisture, I have only driven it twice in the rain. Black cars are a *****!

The guy that did the work isn't going anywhere. If I couple of years down the road I start having problems, I know where he lives.

Reminds me of the time I paid a buddy to do some tile work for me. About 3 days later I tore down evrything he did and redid myself. I never told anyone that I wans't happy with his work or even told them what they are seeing is not his work. I value my friemds.
There's no doubt I would be in that trunk right now cleaning that coating off if it were my car.
Hushmat or similar on those inner wells will kill a lot of road/tire noise and I expect you would cover the entire well rather than just half like he did.
Once thats done your friend doesn't need to know how many hours you spent cleaning in there.

This is true. A good friend is hard to replace. And I know it is hard to see, but this guy really does have some good skills. Here is a picture of his car that he built from scratch. He built the grill from about 4 different cars.

PhilsPlace026.jpg

I will probably try to hide it with the spray undercoating. I really don't plan on showing my trunk (or anything else for that matter). Like I said, this is a driver, that I want to have fun with, not show it.

Many hours of metal work involved in that car. Late model drivetrain, air bag suspension, etc.

That's his rat rod in the background. It looks like hell, but he drove it 3000 miles roundtrip over spring break. No radio. Only a cell phone, an overnight bag, and a small tool box.

Many hours of metal work involved in that car. Late model drivetrain, air bag suspension, etc.

That's his rat rod in the background. It looks like hell, but he drove it 3000 miles roundtrip over spring break. No radio. Only a cell phone, an overnight bag, and a small tool box.

That's the way I like it. Me the motor and the asphalt.

-
Back