Miss Maylene

-
So I was wondering what kind of radios do you use? I found the classic replacements but for $300 Im not that crazy about that...

Is your dash hacked up? If not, your radio options are limited by the fact that the stock radio buttons and dials slide through those dash holes. You can have your old radio refitted with new am/fm parts and an AUX port, but that is expensive.

Of course, if your willing to cut the dash a new head unit can be had to $100.
How many speakers are currently in the car? They make kick panels with speaker holes, your package tray may have speaker holes. There is a member on here who sells brackets to fit two small speakers in the center of the dash to replace the mono-speaker.

I use a cheap rechargeable bluetooth speaker that I stream music to from my ipod. Not great, but a cheap alternative to get you down the road. There is a pic in my scamp page in my signature.

My dash has the original am radio and 2 speaker system. I thought about cutting it and fitting a new style unit in, I was just seeing what popular out there. I will have to check out that blue tooth idea! For speakers I need a new package tray anyway so I just get the one with speaker slots and maybe some new kick panels.

Thanks!

an FP-40 8 track unit will fit a stock dash opening..

So I just read through your thread for the first time, what color did you use on the grill?

an FP-40 8 track unit will fit a stock dash opening..
Hahaha....I actually have a 8 track player and a box full of 8 tracks!
So I just read through your thread for the first time, what color did you use on the grill?
It was a dulpicolor wheel paint called graphit metallic. I got it from o'reillys for like 5 bucks a can. I ended up using about a can and a half to do everything but I put thick coats down. I really like the way it turned out

Go for it sir! I just used flat black for the inside fins. Glad you like it!

You kind of "inspired" me to get off my *** and work on my grill, thanks for that. I like yours alot, I might use the duplicolor and argent silver on mine. Not sure yet. I finally retrievedy grill from its hiding spot and started looking at it.

Hey Jeep - just cruised through your build thread.....since your dash isn't hacked up, and if you don't want to do that to mount a DIN sized radio, you could go with one mounted in the glovebox, or build an under dash console like I did with mine. Advice though - if you plan to go floor shifter, do that first, and then build the console around it.

Retrosound makes a shaft style kit, and is about what you would pay for a decent DIN sized stereo - haven't used them myself, but my car audiophile buddy swears by them for the classics he has designed sound systems on.

You kind of "inspired" me to get off my *** and work on my grill, thanks for that. I like yours alot, I might use the duplicolor and argent silver on mine. Not sure yet. I finally retrievedy grill from its hiding spot and started looking at it.

Ill get pitures soon of my s&%ty looking grill.

Right now I'm working on some rims. I need to update my progress.

Here's my thread if your interested
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252976
Glad I could help! I'm going through that phase right now, I gotta get off my butt and start working. I'd love to follow your build, love reading them!

Thanks and happy New Years!

Hey Jeep - just cruised through your build thread.....since your dash isn't hacked up, and if you don't want to do that to mount a DIN sized radio, you could go with one mounted in the glovebox, or build an under dash console like I did with mine. Advice though - if you plan to go floor shifter, do that first, and then build the console around it.

Retrosound makes a shaft style kit, and is about what you would pay for a decent DIN sized stereo - haven't used them myself, but my car audiophile buddy swears by them for the classics he has designed sound systems on.

Thanks brick I will have to check those out. I went through your thread earlier and saw your under dash mount I was considering that. Hope you have a good New Years!

And to everyone else have a great New Years and keep the greasy side down!

Heres some of the stuff I got for christmas, well at least mopar wise.

New radiator, its OEM style.

Item number if anyone wants it

Got a bunch of books...not that I like to read but there about cars.

Been reading this one and the author goes into a lot of detail! Check it out sometime

and a couple shirts

Looks like I should be picking up a rearend for the dart next weekend. Found a complete 8.75 for an abody a couple weeks ago and should have the money for it this week. Its a 2.76 open with a 741 case.

If the 8.75 doesn't pan out - a 8.25 from an Aspen would fit. You'd have to shorten the driveshaft and relocate the spring seats. I picked one up with 3:23 gears in it from a 76 Volare RoadRunner. Cost me about $50, and works like a dream after replacing all the seals and what not. I know that 8.75 will set you back a pretty penny.

It's $400 for this one and then to change everything it's even more expensive. I like the sound of that 8.25, changing spring perches won't be to bad. Aren't they all large bolt pattern though? Means I gotta change the front or the axle as I'm still 5on4. Hmmm still could work haha. Plus with the 8.25 you can do the disk brake swap from a grand cheeroke. Thanks for the info Brick! Now off to find one!

Find a disk brake donor FMJ body and some 73 and up upper control arms. Use lower ball joints from a 73 and you are in business. You may have to get an adjustable prop valve, but they are cheap. I dropped $25 on one from summit that is adjustable. I paid less then $400 for all my parts off the Volare for both front and rear setup. Havent had an ounce of trouble with the fmj swap either. Replacement brake parts are readily available at most autoparts stores.....even rebuilt calipers.

glad I could help out.

Posted via Topify on Android

The weird thing is my dart has 73+ upper arms on it now with large ball joints. When I first got the car it was taken to my father local mechanics to get it ready to drive and the ball joints were bad so they replaced them and I had to get the large ball joints....I guess I should measure to check if I do have small bolt or large.

If it was a late model 72, then it may have had the big ball joints and upper control arms installed at the factory. If that is the case, then you have the hardest part to track down already. I got my parts locally from a guy named Jim, I will look his FABO username up. He can ship (greyhound) the front end and rear end setups out of a Volare to you, but I have no idea of what that would cost. Go find a Dodge Diplomat in a junkyard and pull it from there. If you are lucky, you might even find an old Diplomat cop car (my uncle drove one of these in Missouri before the crown vic became the standard) and he still has one.....lol

Good to see interest from a young gun!Keep up the good work and sooner than later you will have a weekend warrior...

Good to see interest from a young gun!Keep up the good work and sooner than later you will have a weekend warrior...

Thank you sir!

Works been slow today so I've been looking for the stuff I'll need to do the swap.
Here's the list to get:
Spindles-left/right
Lower control arms (maybe I have large ball joint lowers? Or is there a difference?)
Caliper/mount and rotor
Hubs-left/right
Lug nuts (1/2)
Proportioning valves? Saw people talking about these.
New brake lines (can't hurt right?)
Plus new bushings for anything in the list. (Can't hurt!)

I got a message that someone has everything I need for the swap, part wise, I think.

But then I had a thought. Why go through all the trouble? What's the gain? Sides larger bolt pattern and stronger lugs. I have discs up front already really only need a stronger rear. Not to sound like a stick in the mud... Maybe someone can point out something else.

Thanks!

Great looking project! Keep us updated with the progress..

I just wanted to let you know the hood latch/grille support tucks under the grille all across the front edge and is held in place with plastic "Christmas tree" style clips. I noticed the grille on your car is underneath that support and will cause a lot of misalignment and push the grille down leaving a gap between the grille and the hood.

Great looking project! Keep us updated with the progress..

I just wanted to let you know the hood latch/grille support tucks under the grille all across the front edge and is held in place with plastic "Christmas tree" style clips. I noticed the grille on your car is underneath that support and will cause a lot of misalignment and push the grille down leaving a gap between the grille and the hood.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check them out.

O.K love how polite you are! :cheers:

As for the brake question...if you have 9" or even 10" drums up front they do need to be swapped for disc. If you have the small bolt pattern 4 piston Kelsey Hayes front disc,your set. They stop on a dime.If they are sticky from disuse,get some stainless steel pistons and a rebuild kit.Inspect the calipers carefully for wear..

The larger bolt pattern. Most guys swap for this because of better rim selection. Small bolt pattern rim variety is fairly narrow. I dig sbp steelies with dog dish caps,but lots dont...if you do choose to upgrade to bbp,the rear pattern can be matched by drilling your axles.This works for moderate applications.

There is another option. You can get modern disc brakes up front with a scarebird conversion here;

https://scarebird.com/

Cost efective and lightweight,plus parts are available from just about anywhere. This is the one I would do if I didnt have the Kelsey Hayes..

O.K love how polite you are! :cheers:

As for the brake question...if you have 9" or even 10" drums up front they do need to be swapped for disc. If you have the small bolt pattern 4 piston Kelsey Hayes front disc,your set. They stop on a dime.If they are sticky from disuse,get some stainless steel pistons and a rebuild kit.Inspect the calipers carefully for wear..

The larger bolt pattern. Most guys swap for this because of better rim selection. Small bolt pattern rim variety is fairly narrow. I dig sbp steelies with dog dish caps,but lots dont...if you do choose to upgrade to bbp,the rear pattern can be matched by drilling your axles.This works for moderate applications.

There is another option. You can get modern disc brakes up front with a scarebird conversion here;

https://scarebird.com/

Cost efective and lightweight,plus parts are available from just about anywhere. This is the one I would do if I didnt have the Kelsey Hayes..

Most people think it's annoying haha but my grandpa and dad raised me right. Thank you for noticing though!

I have the 72 discs up front currently, that's the only reason I ask about if the swap is worth while. I wouldn't mind the wider selection of rims/wheels, but like you said steelies and dog dishes look pretty darn good. I guess I should just consider what I really want rear wise then.

Thank ya!

Steelies rock man!:glasses7:

As for the rear, if you happen upon a bbp 8-1/4" rear you could always just have the axels drilled for sbp.

Btw, I picked up a can of duplicolor last night, I sprayed it on a paper plate and man it looks even more impressive in person!

Steelies rock man!:glasses7:

As for the rear, if you happen upon a bbp 8-1/4" rear you could always just have the axels drilled for sbp.

Btw, I picked up a can of duplicolor last night, I sprayed it on a paper plate and man it looks even more impressive in person!

That's not a bad idea, I didn't think of that. What kind of place would drill them?

Yeah I love me some steelies!

Glad you like the color it's got a lot of flake in it!

-
Back