Miss Maylene

-
Wow, since I don't have many car friends I figured I would post about it here.

I got bored so I was checking my local classified and found a bunch of cheap a bodies! A couple really stick out though.
First
1975 Dart Swinger (looks like a 73 though) it has a 318, 4 speed, 8 3/4, hood scoops, cragars, go wing, bucket seats...etc guy wants $2500obo, heck at that price buy it, rob what I want and sell off what I don't!
And the other I kinda want in a bad way haha
It's a 1969 Dart Custom granny car to the max. 4 door, /6 with auto, cheesy hubcaps, baby blue in and out, paints faded and body has a little rust in a couple place but over all very solid. Guy wants $1000obo. Be an awesome sleeper car I think. Either throw a turbo on the /6 and just thrash the car or a big block swap...383/440 and a 4 speed, which I found a guy that has a 440 hooked to a 4 speed and wants $600 for the both. Could be a heck of a project!

Ah...guess I'll keep dreaming on!

Cheers everyone!
Tony

Howdy all

Just checking in.

So a little update on all the confusion. Im going to stay small bolt right now. I just think itll be easier and cheaper for now. Im going to keep my eyes open for a 8 3/4, I found one locally but Ill wait to see what it does. I picked up a flip top gas cap adaptor...Ive always loved the look! Now I just gotta get a cap. Also I have been looking at new tires, the ones on the dart are getting dry rotted and weathered looking. What sizes do you guy recommend? Ive done some research and I might have to change wheels to get the size and look I want. Also been considering moving the spring perches in on the next rear, has any done this? Is it worth it really? It doesn't look like it would be to hard. Still need to get my new water pump and hoses. After this weekend Ill have some cash for a pile of parts! Just gotta get the dart up to the garage!

Have a good one folks
Tony

Honestly,unless your making big,big power moving in the springs and mini tubbing isnt needed. With a nasty 450 h.p small block Id go with a home made set of caltracs,and yes they are simple to make. Require a welder,or a friend that can weld but pretty easy. If you can measure and cut metal,and get it welded,no problem. Otherwise,you may need to go old school with some ss springs or a pinion snubber. As for the tires,I'm not sure what will fit in the wheel wells on a sbp rim. Are you using the stock ralley wheel?
If your interested in the caltracs,I can email you some plans....

If you need a flip-flop cap I have one off a 71 cuda, the rubber gasket is still good.
Pay shipping and throw a little in my beer fund and it is yours.

Good idea to keep the sbp on the rear, just keep looking a local deal will show up.

Honestly,unless your making big,big power moving in the springs and mini tubbing isnt needed. With a nasty 450 h.p small block Id go with a home made set of caltracs,and yes they are simple to make. Require a welder,or a friend that can weld but pretty easy. If you can measure and cut metal,and get it welded,no problem. Otherwise,you may need to go old school with some ss springs or a pinion snubber. As for the tires,I'm not sure what will fit in the wheel wells on a sbp rim. Are you using the stock ralley wheel?
If your interested in the caltracs,I can email you some plans....
I can weld decent and I have others that can weld for me. So that wouldn't be to bad. I'll pm you my email address, I'd really like to see those plans. Thank you sir. For rims, I'm not a 100% yet, I think with sbp rally's you can go to a 235 wide....if I change rims then it'll be to a 15x7 in the rear...I'm still reading on that.
If you need a flip-flop cap I have one off a 71 cuda, the rubber gasket is still good.
Pay shipping and throw a little in my beer fund and it is yours.

Good idea to keep the sbp on the rear, just keep looking a local deal will show up.

Thank you sir! I'll pm you about the cap!

So yesterday I ended out my change can....something my grandpa got me started doing! Well I put all my spare change in a coffee can for the past year. I get payed in cash so it adds up after awhile. My dad also said I could have his change. It all totaled up to $519.78 so looks like the dart fund is growing!
F2654CA8-1997-4474-9BDA-275D2CE81B3F_zpsik8d5byq.jpg

Also I got my new Classic Industries catalog, went through it and found a lot of cool things that I would like to add and some things it will need eventually.
3E42BFCF-20E0-4090-9049-EFB6E74CEF70_zpsarm67ass.jpg

So I have so many ideas flowing right now, so there should be some really cool updates coming!

Good! Just remember,it helps to be patient and wait for the deals..buying it right now you end up paying too much.

Will do sir! I appreciate the advice!

I am currently look at tires, think 235/60R15 on a 15x7 with a 4bs is to much for the rear and 215/65R15 on the front??

Ill have to check that out, the info about sizes is all over the place!

I found a A Body 8 3/4 for sale down the road, guy did not list a price so Im going to call him during work to see whats up with it.

Well scratch that rear....$700 for one that needs rebuilt and nothing else going for it...

Also think the dart is out of timing, I flipped the distributor 180 out...

Nice car, just be patient it will take time and $$$.
It took me a while to collect all of the parts for my rebuild (it was over a year to find the 340).
Nice thing was I got to drive her until I was able to do the rebuild.

You might want to consider some of the other diff swaps possible. The mopar stuff is stupid expensive and frankly,there are better alternatives. Several I can think of include the ford 8.8,and there is a Jeep diff as well. Both will likely gain you modern disc brakes...

You might want to consider some of the other diff swaps possible. The mopar stuff is stupid expensive and frankly,there are better alternatives. Several I can think of include the ford 8.8,and there is a Jeep diff as well. Both will likely gain you modern disc brakes...

Thats kind of what I've been thinking. I know the chrysler 8.25 was made till 07 and could still be made. I think just get one then basically pick and pull it, carrier and gears out of a dakota (came in 3.23,3.55,3.73) with a LSD, then grab some discs off of a cherokee boom thats a great sounding rear to me, just either run adaptors or have the axles drilled. Or throw adaptor up front and run larger bolt pattern wheels while keeping the better discs.. Options!

great thread man. Im getting started on my 74 duster and just like you 22 and still learning. haha i like what you have planned for it! keep it up!

great thread man. Im getting started on my 74 duster and just like you 22 and still learning. haha i like what you have planned for it! keep it up!

Thank you sir! When you get a chance to post up a build thread I would love to see what you do.

Howdy folks some progress is being made sorta.

I have ordered new belts, hoses, and water pump from my local O'Reillys should all be in by Monday. Building up my parts pile so I will have lots to do!

Then next up on the list is getting the exhaust finally done. There is a shop down the street from my work so when I finally get her running Im going to take it there. I have been thinking header and did a lot of research on here, I have decided to go with Tight Tube style. Mainly because the fitment and they won't hang to low. Might have to upgrade to a mini starter but we will see.

When it gets warmer around here I have some flat black paint to do the hood and then I gotta add my hood scoops, as well as some hood pins (always thought they looked cool)

As for a rear end, I decided to go with a 8.25 rear, I called my local machine shop and they said they could redrill the axles as long as they had enough metal there to do it but it was going to be pretty expensive to do. So depending on what going on I might just grab some adaptors for the front making them big bolt. But why the front? Cause they will take up room and that will make the rear tires fit tighter. I know lots of jeep guys that run them and say they are plenty safe.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
Tony

Thanks evildart, that site is pretty sweet. I might upgrade when I finally get the body work and paint done but for now it will work!

Glad the cap cleaned up for you.
If you upgrade in the future, dont throw that one away it has a chrysler part number, I think the gasket did too.

-
Back