Missed on this combo?

-
OK thanks. Sorry to pull the thread off track. I do have lots more flow bench questions. Maybe I'll start a new thread.

OK thanks. Sorry to pull the thread off track. I do have lots more flow bench questions. Maybe I'll start a new thread.

Good idea. A new thread might (I say might) help someone get a better understand of flow benches. Maybe.

So does the bench calibrate itself? I don't know that's why I'm asking.

Some do, otherwise you figure that.
I use a known flow tested orfice plate, I check before any testing is down to make sure the numbers are real....plate flows x amount...

I get the issue. I'm absolutely not doubting what Dave said about no one buying them. I did my own heads with 2.02 valves and everyone said I was crazy. It's all about marketing. Surely a 2.08 valve will kick the hell out of a 2.02 valve. In advertising.

BTW, I've been using seats steeper than 45 since about 2000. That's how OLD the technology is. It's hard to do it on a street strip deal because...

A) If you go from a 45 to a 50* seat it makes the margin thin, quick. Not if you cut down a larger valve or go custom.
2) It takes a different shape valve to make the steeper seat work correctly, and guys don't want to buy anything that isn't interns normal. You would think and yet tulip valves are only considered normal with the Hemis
B) The steeper the seat, changes the way you face the valve. You lost me here.
1) There are other reasons but I'm sure you know them. Nope see above.

BTW, you can make the back cut as wide as you want it, it doesn't make a difference. As long as it runs up to the seat is all that matters and it's still a bad idea in most cases.Seriously not understanding this.[/QUOTE]

Most of your posts offer nothing to help OP all you do is regurgitate something you've heard or read somewhere before, oh and you like to name drop as well. I don't care really about anything online as I'm receiving no compensation whatsoever however-when I read downright false/misleading and downright dangerous advice I cannot sit idly by. Oh and FABO and its ads are starting to piss me off so bad I'm finding myself not wanting to come here as much. J.Rob

Who do I name drop?

Most guys don't want to buy custom valves or cut down a bigger valve. That was MY point.

Bullshit. Many people don't use nailhead valves in everything. Ive got 4 cylinder stuff out there with 50 and 55* seats and ALL of them get tulip valves.

I'm not getting paid to educate you on how to do steeper than 45* valve jobs so you can figure that one out. The steeper the seat, the more the valve wants to wedge in the head.

I'll say it again, I don't like back cuts on much of anything, but the width is not important. The angle of it is (most guys love a big back cut because it looks good on the flow bench) not important, as long as the back cut butts against the seat on the valve. That should be easy to understand.

I offered to flow his head for FREE. And I would not have just flowed it at one pressure and sent it back. I also offered him a cam I've used and know what it does. Did you want me to drive across the country and pick the heads up? He would have learned more from my flowing the heads that just paying someone to test at one pressure.

What do I regurgitate? If I was regurgitating I'd agree with all the goofy **** you do, like opening the LSA when mid RPM power is down. If he has a reversion problem that is about 1800-2000 RPM no cam, not even the wide LSA will fix it.

Come on dude, get over yourself.

Who do I name drop?

Most guys don't want to buy custom valves or cut down a bigger valve. That was MY point.

Bullshit. Many people don't use nailhead valves in everything. Ive got 4 cylinder stuff out there with 50 and 55* seats and ALL of them get tulip valves.

I'm not getting paid to educate you on how to do steeper than 45* valve jobs so you can figure that one out. The steeper the seat, the more the valve wants to wedge in the head.

I'll say it again, I don't like back cuts on much of anything, but the width is not important. The angle of it is (most guys love a big back cut because it looks good on the flow bench) not important, as long as the back cut butts against the seat on the valve. That should be easy to understand.

I offered to flow his head for FREE. And I would not have just flowed it at one pressure and sent it back. I also offered him a cam I've used and know what it does. Did you want me to drive across the country and pick the heads up? He would have learned more from my flowing the heads that just paying someone to test at one pressure.

What do I regurgitate? If I was regurgitating I'd agree with all the goofy **** you do, like opening the LSA when mid RPM power is down. If he has a reversion problem that is about 1800-2000 RPM no cam, not even the wide LSA will fix it.

Come on dude, get over yourself.

You're a GURU of more than just engines--you just fixed me, I'm over myself. Thanks, J.Rob

Couple pics of the ports. Don't know if pictures "do them justice", but thought I'd throw them out there. There is no "hump" where the CNC stops. Not that I can see or feel, anyhow.

Take a look at that dirty intake valve after 13 pulls.

So just wondering......can a smaller valve be installed once a 2.08 seat has been cut? Just wondering.
20170319_141004.jpg
20170319_140943.jpg
20170319_140924.jpg
20170319_140449.jpg

Valve looks like crap. The only thing I like the look of is the port entry, to about the pushrod area. Short side looks Horrid. I don't see a valve job or chamber shaping fixing that. But I'm not on the level of real pros.

Ironman wrote
So just wondering......can a smaller valve be installed once a 2.08 seat has been cut? Just wondering.

I don't know? If they make a Thick enough one, then maybe, yes.

But that wouldn't fix that vary short, short side(SS)
My question is.....is that heads SS cast that bad, or did they muff it all up with the cnc of the head? That picture don't show how far in, the cnc went on the floor.
How far do the cnc marks go?

As far as the intake valve, do all of them look like that or just the one you took out?
IF it's just one then i would buy a new set of valve seals. And put at least one on that valve guide.

Couple pics of the ports. Don't know if pictures "do them justice", but thought I'd throw them out there. There is no "hump" where the CNC stops. Not that I can see or feel, anyhow.

Take a look at that dirty intake valve after 13 pulls.

So just wondering......can a smaller valve be installed once a 2.08 seat has been cut? Just wondering.View attachment 1715029983 View attachment 1715029984 View attachment 1715029985 View attachment 1715029986

that dirty valve was caused by reversion am I correct?

that dirty valve was caused by reversion am I correct?
If that is the only dirty valve from a running engine, I'd look for a damaged/work valve seal or worn piston rings or a bad intake to head gasket seal.

There's no way to "go back" to a 2.02" valve w/o removing & replacing the seat insert, & it won't change the SSR in any real favorable way by the looks of it.

Just for comparison and because I found the pic... the SS of the new BPE heads.

View attachment 1715030028
I like that one a lot more! In the SS, in the transition to the chamber and the bowl as well.
Did it say what valve it will take.

I have never heard of BPE HEAD for a chry small block. Could you throw me a link, or a quick explanation of what they are? aka W7 type deal or stock replacement(so to speak)

You're pictures are very clear but from what I see, your valves aren't back cut. At least not the two intakes you posted.

That's oil on the valve.

From what I can see, the ssr can be made better.

It's damn hard to go back to a 2.02 from where you are, as the bowls are pretty big. Can you measure the bowls and post the diameter?

Also, the seat on the valve looks razor sharp. Don't know if it's the picture or they are that narrow. If they are, the valve job isn't good. The seat should be .040-.060 wide and be on the outer edge of the valve.

You might, maybe, could possibly get a 2.02 valve on there if you use a cutter that cuts the bowl to 90-91% and your bowls are only at 84-85% with the 2.08 valve.

A 2.05 valve may be a better option, because making the bowl bigger that the cross section can support will make the flow curve fall over. Look at the flow curve on any Pcar head.

-
Back