Missed on this combo?

-
Thanks, man! It's been a helluva ride for sure. I think once I find some heads I'll be just fine.
My dyno guy said if I buy some bare Edelbrocks, NOT ProMaxx or Speedmaster.......he will consider porting them by hand. Might take him awhile but I'll bet they work.

He hasn't given me the official "lets do it" yet. Busy guy

Sounds like this would be the best course for you.

Just like having a custom cam built for your combo will out perform and off the shelf most times. So will having a professional porter, port a set of head for you.
I have no ground to judge here but i'm going to any ways.
A Professional ported, will know what CSA your port/ head needs to be(and port velocity is part of it) for the cubic inch and rpm that is run.
I haven't done any backward calibration to see if them bloomer head were just plain and simply too big for what your are doing.(I doubt it) And i'm not going to. But the one that ports your head should be thinking and explaining this to you. Just keep that in mind.

Reading the thread over at morparts. being on the outside of the conversation,...don't think they are beating on you to badly.

Me personally, i wouldn't go and find another head and have it ported..... Not Just Yet. I would cut up some cardboard and throw it in the valley of that block and wrap a plastic bag around it.
You have a ride still to play with, so it's not like you can't still race and have some fun.
THERE IS NOT A BETTER TEST BED, FOR THEM HEADS, AT THIS PRESENT TIME,....... Just saying.

But then again, i would want to invest the money back in quickly, or my wife would find something/place that money need to go to, that was NOT car related!:)

Cuda, I think you're right. But man. All that time and money just sitting.

Also wanted to say I got Rod's check in the mail today. He is a stand up solid guy who stood behind his product. He didn't have to.

I told him I'd be happy to run another set for them......like you said I'd be happy to be their test bed.

The other guy involved though, I believe has a very large ego. I'm sure he just feels I'm some idiot who doesn't know crap about crap.

But I do have 2 grand if you know anyone with some heads.........

Cuda, I think you're right. But man. All that time and money just sitting.

Also wanted to say I got Rod's check in the mail today. He is a stand up solid guy who stood behind his product. He didn't have to.

I told him I'd be happy to run another set for them......like you said I'd be happy to be their test bed.

The other guy involved though, I believe has a very large ego. I'm sure he just feels I'm some idiot who doesn't know crap about crap.

But I do have 2 grand if you know anyone with some heads.........
Hey Mike,
I have a set of 974 castings that flow like crap, and need just about everything. There's a possibility they might be cracked from overheating too, but I'd be willing to let them go for two grand.
I figured you could use a good laugh.

Hey Mike,
I have a set of 974 castings that flow like crap, and need just about everything. There's a possibility they might be cracked from overheating too, but I'd be willing to let them go for two grand.
I figured you could use a good laugh.
That's just WRONG, ............................................:rofl:

Hey, i did offer up a sweet complete W2 setup for close to that 2k, I tried to help!

Yeah you did. I'd be changing pistons, headers...yikes! More cost than I can handle. Sure appreciate the offer!

Yeah you did. I'd be changing pistons, headers...yikes! More cost than I can handle. Sure appreciate the offer!
No problem bud, hope you get it sorted out, it's really cool that you kept the post going, very informative

Yeah thanks man. 24 friggin pages! It's amazing how many guys helped out and supported me. Now, I don't even HAVE heads.

Yet.

LMAO! That's the spirt!!!

"YET!" He says!

In the thick NY'er accent...

Attafuckinboui! Keep at it like one of dem DANM F#%%in headhunters!

Do they come with that geometry correction doo dad?:rofl:
Nah, the valvetrain will be plenty stable up to the 3200 rpm peak.:lol:

I do actually have a set of ported 974s with 2.055/1.625s that were 279 at .500 and 281 at .600. They're a bit leaky after a season though. Still, it would be interesting to see how much power they would make on a combo like yours. Not inferring anything, just thinking out loud.

If I see something that might be of interest to you Mike, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Nah, the valvetrain will be plenty stable up to the 3200 rpm peak.:lol:

I do actually have a set of ported 974s with 2.055/1.625s that were 279 at .500 and 281 at .600. They're a bit leaky after a season though. Still, it would be interesting to see how much power they would make on a combo like yours. Not inferring anything, just thinking out loud.

If I see something that might be of interest to you Mike, I'll be sure to pass it on.
Please do. You have my number.

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/w5dart66/media/E2472416-E84C-45EE-91C2-DD90E0FFBCE4_zpszisov8zx.jpg.html]
E2472416-E84C-45EE-91C2-DD90E0FFBCE4_zpszisov8zx.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/w5dart66/media/92ACD3A5-F113-499D-98C2-216140A6DAC9_zpsufo9ddme.jpg.html]
92ACD3A5-F113-499D-98C2-216140A6DAC9_zpsufo9ddme.jpg
[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/w5dart66/media/47E04760-5848-4F34-ABC3-6ED3F4BC4358_zpsvdo8wldc.jpg.html]
47E04760-5848-4F34-ABC3-6ED3F4BC4358_zpsvdo8wldc.jpg
[/URL]

I had flow numbers the night I got the heads.

Forgot to hit save ....

This was first chance I had to get them back on the bench.

I will try to update on this if I make any changes to port or valve job.

But numbers not bad and air speed not out of control.

This is the first time to spend time with the production part.

Oh numbers on 4.125" bore don't have Mopar plate with smaller bore.

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/w5d...C-45EE-91C2-DD90E0FFBCE4_zpszisov8zx.jpg.html]View attachment 1715048963[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/w5d...3-499D-98C2-216140A6DAC9_zpsufo9ddme.jpg.html]View attachment 1715048964[/URL]

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/w5d...8-4F34-ABC3-6ED3F4BC4358_zpsvdo8wldc.jpg.html]View attachment 1715048965[/URL]

I had flow numbers the night I got the heads.

Forgot to hit save ....

This was first chance I had to get them back on the bench.

I will try to update on this if I make any changes to port or valve job.

But numbers not bad and air speed not out of control.

This is the first time to spend time with the production part.

Oh numbers on 4.125" bore don't have Mopar plate with smaller bore.

I wish I had been able to test the big port heads on the stroker. But with no money at first and now no money, no time and no engine it'll have to wait.

Brett Miller
Is it possible, that the valves you tested with, are different in some way, then the ones that ironmike used?

Them numbers look grate to me and so did the SSR. (Said the educated idiot)

What do you think of ironmikes cam?

I know i should just stay out of this conversation at this time and let the smart ones speak.
But curious and want to learn as this all unfolds.

First of all : I have ZERO skin in this game. I like to have answers and understand them as well.
I do have one question and one only for whomever wants to answer/comment on it. Flow #'s aside and all that--Why did these heads not produce at least the equivalent of the Hughes? I mean--same cam, more lift (via accurate rockers), slight loss in static comp. How did the Eddy's do as well as they did? Seriously, I would like to know. J.Rob

First of all : I have ZERO skin in this game. I like to have answers and understand them as well.
I do have one question and one only for whomever wants to answer/comment on it. Flow #'s aside and all that--Why did these heads not produce at least the equivalent of the Hughes? I mean--same cam, more lift (via accurate rockers), slight loss in static comp. How did the Eddy's do as well as they did? Seriously, I would like to know. J.Rob

Good questions. Not sure I even can guess. I don't think we have enough info to even make a good guess. I'd like to flow the heads myself.

That's what I'm not getting either. To me these heads should have at least produced the same results as the Eddys. I wish we had seen a cranking compression test. If they both leakdowned well. I am curious what PSI they were putting out.

Brett Miller
Is it possible, that the valves you tested with, are different in some way, then the ones that ironmike used?

Them numbers look grate to me and so did the SSR. (Said the educated idiot)

What do you think of ironmikes cam?

I know i should just stay out of this conversation at this time and let the smart ones speak.
But curious and want to learn as this all unfolds.

I don't pay much attention to flow numbers any more. (Although i always have to know)

I just did this as a base line from when I did prototype.

I am not a fan of stock location rocker on the head. I really did the offset head as my main goal but Mopar people want the no offset deal.

The head has some noise on the flow bench and I don't like that I think some of that is in valve job.

I am like Rod I that I don't like that they did not make the same or more power than the other heads but I think the engine is down on power due to more than just a cylinder head problem as both sets are "down" from expected numbers.

I am not a fan of the cam choice in this engine at all.

Rods heads where run with all but .5 point less compression than the other set not a huge deal but less CR will not add up to an engine that makes more power. Add in the fact I do not believe the cam is filling the cylinder efficiently and that will show up in lack of torque real fast.

The min square inch of Rods heads at pushrod is only 2.1" not a deal killer but everything has to be right to make small cross section work on 408" engine.

I think Rod wants to tweek on that part of the head and I will play with some valve jobs see if I can make head little better.

The end of the intake was opened up to match up better with Rods heads. I wish I would have been asked about if this should be done or not. I think this hurts intakes don't like any cross section change going larger right at flange of head.

They responde much better to taper all the way to the head (most of the time on lower RPM/power engine it works better with end of intake smaller than the head)

Air speed at .600" lift was 315+ down center of port and in the 380s at the short turn far from a to large lazy port IMHO port is still way to small for 400" plus engines.

I will update with what we do moving forward.

I agree with offset rockers.

Personally, I ***** my head off if a guy wants to build 400 plus inches on stock offset rockers.

-
Back