modern voltage limiter for dash gauges

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the dash unit on a standard (non-rallye) dash cluster. I want to replace the voltage limiter. Most that I have found are made by RTE and carry a part#IVR4. Classic Industries is selling IVR607 for this application. All the sources for IVR4 seem to cost $50, but the one from Classic costs $29. Is there a reason NOT to get the one from Classic and save the money?

Ivr4 claims built in protections to keep from frying your guages.

The ivr607 looks to be a standard run of the mill electronic version of the mechanical limiter.

Both should do just fine.

You could also get a NOS limiter on ebay

I only use RTE. I tried another solid state limiter and it only provide 4v which made my gas gauge read low.

i have been using the RTE for 8 years now and it is still doing fine and all my gauges still seem healthy .

RTE here! Had a stock type limiter then it gave out. So found an nos limiter and it worked ok. Gas gauge sometimes was intermittent. Finally bought a solid state limiter and all is better.:thumbsup:

Yeah but for cars like Vixen, that plug in version doesn't work. And I don't know why everyone uses the 7805. That's a 5V output. That's incorrect. You should use the 7806. It's 6V output. That's how you check and or calibrate the gauges. You use 6V to get them to read "half way" and "adjust" the needles as needed. Whoever got the 5V thing going is mistaken. Making one yourself is still way cheaper.

Last edited:
Also some of the 5v DIY lashups don't have anything in the way of protection, either for the gauges or the rest of the circuit

Also some of the 5v DIY lashups don't have anything in the way of protection, either for the gauges or the rest of the circuit

Just slip it in a condom and tape it on the back.

I use an $8 DC/DC converter from Amazon. Has screw terminals so it is way easier if you don’t want to solder.

046F619A-F838-4994-B663-38CCDD34E23C.jpeg

yeah, I have the original in one of my 70 Darts, but nobody at Chrysler ever designed this piece to operate for over 50 years. If I was taking the cluster out of that Dart for other reasons, damned if I wouldn't replace it with one of the new style voltage limiters... Just like I got rid of the points ignition and went to electronic and never looked back, just sayin'.

Someone here posted a PN of a solid state plug in IVR a while back & said he ordered it from Tandy Corp. Tandy used to own Radio Shack before they became a cell phone outlet.

-
Back