Modified Gauge Cluster

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I gutted a gauge/cluster from a '74 Scamp and added a laser cut plexi-glass panel for mounting my gauges (some of which are currently in my car, others still need to be purchased). The original lights & wiper switches will be relocated to the metal dash frame between the cluster and radio/hvac controls.
This will all be going into my '71 Dart GT at some point in the future (months, maybe years).
I'm to cheap to buy the RedLine insert, and this presented a challenge.
Let me know your thoughts.

Panel-1.jpg

I thought about this route myself. I was wondering, since I have not yet taken my dash panel out, cn you center the tach or dpeedometer?

rumblefish360,

Yes, I tried several different layouts before I came up with this one.
You could center the Speedometer over the steering column and have 1 smaller gauge on the right & 3 smaller gauges on the left.
If one of the larger (3 3/8") gauges was centered over the steering column, it would have eaten up a lot of real estate. This layout was the best compromise for all of the gauges & sizes I want to use.
FYI the useable flat panel area tapers down on the left side so that the larger gauges must stay to the right side.

Dan

OH! Good thanks on the FYI. I'm still letting the gauge idea's fester in my head while I get the bigger fish to catch out of the way. (Rust!) But it is on my list to rid the dash of the everyday look into something else. I have a slew of Auto Meter ultra lights I think they are. Gezz, it's been a while siince I even looked at them!

I think the dash is gonna turn out good , Good idea my 71 swinger looked just like your dart before i had my son remove the top and spray her go-green

I think it looks good set up like that. Does that dash fit a 71? I thought they were for 72 and newer.
Bruce

On my redline panel I have the same basic setup, except I moved the speedo over and put the small gauge on the upper right corner. It makes it easier to see the two big gauges.

Bruce,

No, the insert that I made (as well as the RedLine insert) will not fit the standard '71 Dart.
That is why I purchased (from FABO members) a 1970 Duster metal dash frame and a 1974 Scamp cluster.
I then gutted the cluster to where I could use the gauge/cluster bezel with my own panel layout.

Good choice I like the 72 and up dash better. I put an oil gauge
in mine, top right and replaced the amp with a volt top left.
1 1'2 sunpros fit right in tight enough to not need any other mounting
Bruce

I Have a laser cut pce. of steel in place of my stock dash. I have the 3 smaller gauges staggered like you have on the left, then the 2 large 3-3/8 gauges, then my fuel gauge in the upper righ corner. I have my headlight / wiper switches in the stock local. It looks really good if you ask me, and functions well. I can see my Tach / oil / water gauges mainly....the others are just there for show ( who needs to see a speedo anyways>!)

What thickness plexi did you use. If a laser cut, does it fit "perfectly"? How much to cut another and ship?
Thanks,
C

I'm going to throw this out there for those of us that want to do something a little different but don't want the expense of upgrading the whole cluster...

I've been looking at the white face gauges for the stock cluster and they look good enough....BUT...what do think about changing it to a half round speedo? As long as you keep the same spacing it should be just as accurate. I left a little of the old setup on the left side to show the difference....

speedo.jpg

If it were me I'd have the speedo/ tach centered with the speedo in the left tach on the right, fuel/ oil on the far right somehow and the volage meter and water gage on the far left, then the turn signals just bellow and to the left and right of the speedo and tach, for a more ergonometicly correct and ballanced look. just my two cents...

72_Durstya,

I appreciate your idea, and had thought about doing something like that.
If you look a little closer you will see that the OIL PRESSURE gauge is nearly centered over the steering column (real estate issues). Centering over the steering column, vs. centering in the middle of the gauge panel, was more important to me.
If I had placed the TACH or SPEEDO centered over the steering column with the other TACH or SPEEDO to the right or left of it, all of my planned gauges would not have fit.
Also, the gauge panel tapers down as you go left, so the 3 3/8" gauges are in about the only places they could be (real estate issues again).
It's all about the "space race" when laying this thing out.

where did you get that insert at. that is awesome looking. i need something like that for my 72 scamp

I'm going to throw this out there for those of us that want to do something a little different but don't want the expense of upgrading the whole cluster...

I've been looking at the white face gauges for the stock cluster and they look good enough....BUT...what do think about changing it to a half round speedo? As long as you keep the same spacing it should be just as accurate. I left a little of the old setup on the left side to show the difference....

hey, thats not a bad idea, would probably look alot better than the grandma style box spedo. too bad nobody makes it, i wouldnt mind seeing how it looked, might even try it myself if someone could make it

-
Back