Moving Rear

-

kingvern

Reaction score
Ok i have herd a lot of people talking about moving there rear end back 1in to allow for a bigger tire. How is this done are there any tech articles on this.

You'll need a spacer in front of the leaf spring hanger bracket as well as longer bolts.

Look it over close, both sides. An inch is a lot. Might be fine on one side and too much on the other. Just depends on what body.
I cut the front spring hangers on my 67 fish. That cut removed 1/8, adding 3/4 bar equals 5/8 change.

I moved mine back 1/2". I used some 1/2" thick aluminum plate to make the spacers. Now my wheels look centered in the wheel wells.

I moved mine back 1/2". I used some 1/2" thick aluminum plate to make the spacers. Now my wheels look centered in the wheel wells.

I did the same. 1/2 inch Alum spacers worked perfect. I had 1" spacers but they looked too much on the car

I thought some people drilled extra holes in the perches and shock plates and just moved the rear end back on the springs? I like the spacer idea.

I'll try to post the article from Super Stock & Drag Illustrated,

Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins, when he was running the 65' Plymouth Race Hemi
'Black Arrow' had a great article on Rear Suspension with the Mopar Leaf-Springs.

Distance, Height and Shim-spacing.

He revealed every little trick he had, before moving over to Chevrolet at the end
end of 1965.

Hardened-washers,,,,,,,,,,

file.php

I thought some people drilled extra holes in the perches and shock plates and just moved the rear end back on the springs? I like the spacer idea.

Some do but that changes the pinion angle. Some change one side than the other too to improve launch and 2 wheeling. That changes the thrust angle.

OK, I understand about the spacer behind the front spring hangar to move the rearend back in the wheelwell. But I'm curious what effect, if any, this has by also changing the angle of the spring shackles at the rear of the leaf springs.
Comments???

OK, I understand about the spacer behind the front spring hangar to move the rearend back in the wheelwell. But I'm curious what effect, if any, this has by also changing the angle of the spring shackles at the rear of the leaf springs.
Comments???

That shackle angle is changing constantly anyway. I don't think your get anyway need their fault angle.

Spacer sounds good but i'm getting ready to move the springs inboard to the frame So How would that work. It is being done on a 74 Dart sport with the space saver compartment so i cant widen the wheel wells as planed without doing away with the back seat and i dont want to do that.

-
Back