my first 742 case rebuild, need alittle advice please

-
bit, but thanks for all your and others who posted here help, but looking at your rebuild photo's you have done many of these before, what brand of gears do you prefer?[/QUOTE]

Chrysler 8-3/4 gears are limited in selection -- for the 742 case if you want to stick with the 3.23 ratio Yukon gear would be your best bet --$278.00 US from Summit Racing .
other brands are Motive , US Gear ,, Richmond ( now owned by Motive Gear ) but gear ratios are limited depending on the case used.
there are other offshore brands available (Nitro etc. ) but i stay away from them .

Last edited:
I was told by an old diff guy that if u can't get the pattern right on the drive side that to get the best pattern on the coast side. He said dont even be conserned with the drive side. He said some used gears can be a bear. He has set used gears up on the coast side many times. He did also say the more than likely u will have a whine. Kim.

Well nobody can say that you don't have patience, I applaud your determination, But I agree, After as many attempts as you have made, I would throw in the towel on that set of gears.

I was told by an old diff guy that if u can't get the pattern right on the drive side that to get the best pattern on the coast side. He said dont even be conserned with the drive side. He said some used gears can be a bear. He has set used gears up on the coast side many times. He did also say the more than likely u will have a whine. Kim.
I agree,that is what Yukon gears advises, Used gears, look for a good pattern on the coast side only.

Well as I said earlier I can't throw them out there all I got until I can get new ones just found out my poor old dog has cancer so got to spend some money to keep him comfortable so maybe I will look for a good coast pattern I've been playing around a bit and with 68 thou the pattern is in the center on the drive side but not real deep I tried playing around with the backlash but it still isn't right I had gone from 72 to 68 so maybe I will go up a thou?

Sorry to hear about Your dog dude, that sucks, that's doin' the right thing. I agree, set the best coast pattern & try 'em. The reality is that, like everything else in production,
these cases are not T-totally perfect. It doesn't take much variation in the accuracy & squareness to skew the nose of the pinion in both windage & elevation. I asked about
the case because there is a tiny chance it has been troublesome to set up before, thus sitting around empty & unused, not likely but still possible. Kudos for Your perseverance.

Well I am embarrassed to say how many times this took but this is what I'm going with its the best coast I can get I am going to try it. I will show to post the best drive I got to.

20170304_123908.jpg

20170304_123903.jpg

Well I am embarrassed to say how many times this took but this is what I'm going with its the best coast I can get I am going to try it. I will show to post the best drive I got to.

View attachment 1715024397

View attachment 1715024399

the patterns you are showing in these pics look the best for the gear set you have ,,,, at least the drive is up from the toe of the tooth and the coast is down from the heel and they both are up from the root and down from the flank of the tooth-- not ideal patterns but run it and hopefully the gear set is quiet.
lots of work but at least you stuck with it . good luck

well I sure appreciate your help as with everyone that chimed in, so now on to the forward shim, do you think I am likely to encounter anything unusual related to the circumstance I had?

well I sure appreciate your help as with everyone that chimed in, so now on to the forward shim, do you think I am likely to encounter anything unusual related to the circumstance I had?

just make sure you get the pinion bearing preload right for the new bearings --- do the final assembly and give the gear a go -- you will know if anything is amiss

here are a couple pics of used 3.23's i set up and a photo of a new set that was done recently to give you an idea of of what a good used and new pattern looks like

109_1536.JPG

109_1650.JPG

109_1642.JPG

Thanks, I wish I could say my pattern was that good, oh well if anything else it was a hell of a learning curve and I definitely wouldn't be shy of setting up gears again, but new ones next time, lol

-
Back