NARROWED REAR OFFSET?

-

DAVE DART SWINGER

Reaction score
does anyone know the offset for narrowing a dana 60 to fit a A-body? car has been mini tubbed with spring re-location kit. housing needs to be 44-5/8" flange to flange when finished. i was told the total offset is 2-3/8 " to the right. any info would be great.

does anyone know the offset for narrowing a dana 60 to fit a A-body? car has been mini tubbed with spring re-location kit. housing needs to be 44-5/8" flange to flange when finished. i was told the total offset is 2-3/8 " to the right. any info would be great.
Left side (driver side) is longer. 1 1/2 longer

Oils have sworn the rear ends were equal and the engine and trans was offset.

left/right offset is not that important as long as the drive CL and the pinion CL are parallel in the L/R axis.

left/right offset is not that important as long as the drive CL and the pinion CL are parallel in the L/R axis.

Yep, equal angles is what really matters.
I have never trusted the opinion of random oils. :D

Yep, equal angles is what really matters.
I have never trusted the opinion of random oils. :D
Dr. Diffs website has a rear axle calculator there. click on it ,put in your measurements and the calculator does the rest. Excellent tool, try it out :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oils have sworn the rear ends were equal and the engine and trans was offset.
I was wondering about that. Ford 9" are offset a ton, like 2 inches if memory serves me correctly. When I bought axles for a soon to be 8 3/4 I found they were the same length so center line of pinion must be off center to the car. I know ultimately as others have stated as long as CLs are parallel no issue, but it makes sense that the engine and trans are offset. I'll have to measure that to satisfy my curiosity.

When I bought axles for a soon to be 8 3/4 I found they were the same length so center line of pinion must be off center to the car.

Nope, the center carrier has the pinion offset in it. Pinion is not in the center of the carrier.

Nope, the center carrier has the pinion offset in it. Pinion is not in the center of the carrier.
I'm confused... Ford 9" have different length axles and the center of the hump is not CL of the car and this results is the pinion CL is center to the car's CL.

Just looked at Dr. Diff calculator
Stock Mopar pinion offset = same length axles

upload_2018-2-9_11-17-23.png

0 pinion offset = different length axles
upload_2018-2-9_11-18-48.png

Maybe I'm missing something here but doesn't pinion offset mean offset from car CL as per tip #2 on Dr. Diff website?

"Tip #2: A pinion offset of "0" places the pinion in the exact center of the vehicle..."

So this indicates that the Pinion of a stock 8 3/4 is 1 3/16 off center from the CL of the car, does it not?

Just ordered axles for my dana from DR. DIFF & they want to know the axle lengths for each side. Lt side is a diff. length than the rt. I have In the past ordered axles for an 8 3/4 & those axles are the same length.

Just ordered axles for my dana from DR. DIFF & they want to know the axle lengths for each side. Lt side is a diff. length than the rt. I have In the past ordered axles for an 8 3/4 & those axles are the same length.
i ordered my axles from moser and they are aprox 1-1/2" diff from side to side driver side being longer

Stock Mopar spec Dana 60 and 8.75" pinion offset is 1 3/16".

This means 8.75" axles are equal length and a driver side Dana 60 axle is 1 3/8" longer than the passenger side.

Just got up from the 44 deg F floor (17 deg F outside) under my 1967 Dart with 273.

The rear of transmission tail shaft is ~2" shifted to the passenger side. (~26" CL of transmission to pinch weld under rocker passenger side, ~28" CL of transmission to pinch weld under rocker drivers side)

Engine CL is also ~2" to the passenger side.

That explains why the axles are the same length, shifting the pinion to the passenger side making the CL of Eng, Trans, and Pinion line up correctly.

My measurements were as accurate as I could get with only 8 inches from the bottom of the seam weld to the COLD floor.

That being said,Cass the 8 3/4 both axles same length and D 60 drivers axle is 1 3/16 longer than pass side if I remember correctly. Kim

What does a 8.75 or a 9" have to do with what you are doing with a D60?

Simple as it can be put. With an 8.75, if you put the center section itself (not pinion), dead nuts on the c/l of car, the pinion will be offset to the pass side 1 3/16"

Last edited:
Mopar offset the 'new for 64 273' motor toward the passenger side to clear the steering gear for the 64 Valiant/Dart. Look at a 273 and you can see clearances cast into the driver side pan rail. That same offset went all the way back to the pinion. --_|_

-
Back