Need Any Welding advice?

-
Sure, I can take it and dish it out too... allow me to learn ya sumfin. welder the machine.
Weldor the person, but they only taught me that in the 1000 hr course in tech school.
Speaking of burnt up, last week I experienced the worse pants on fire in my history:eek:

Holy ****, I guess I been schooled.:D
Thank you.

Well ****; remind me never to ask dumbass questions here. I sure as hell don't ever want to learn to weld now with a...hole instructors like you out there.

I'm the a-hole?? Hahaha!

I just think it was a better method than MiG welding sheet metal.

Unlike aviation welding, the school was mostly geared in structural welding with a short stint mig welding.

In this hobby I see myself using tig for rollcages or aluminum (intake manifolds or cylinder heads) and enjoyed the penetration that stick welding gave in my limited experience (11 months).

I guess it can be viewed asking questions after being offered is being a dick?

Personally if I offered my expertise I wouldn’t **** on somebody for earnestly asking. The idea is an expert is offering help-use their generosity or spend a week sifting through YouTube where I personally find a ideas/beliefs often touted as facts.

It is no big deal if you don’t know some of those questions-I doubted that you had torch experience or much mig experience if you worked in the aviation field (which I figure is like my submarine welding-precision), but maybe it was possible that you did.

If you are offended, Probably don’t offer next time. Not everyone tip toes around others’ feelings. I apologize for being a dick.

Best wishes.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I sensed a bit of "ok, let's see what he really knows" from your 1st post....and I was in rare form yesterday. So, I apologize for the dick, and old fart comment. The point is, there is a ton of information out there for free, and I assumed that most people would come to FABO for more hard to find answers to their questions. I guess I failed to realize that FABO is the only form of internet some people know.

I have gotten a lot of great information off of this website for years. Now I'm just looking to contribute something in return.

Last edited:
They created the word "weldor" to differentiate between the machine and the person. Like... The weldor is happy with his welder.

And vice versa obviously, but with a bit of a twist.:D
So if someone said "go get the welder" the person wouldn't come back carrying the guy.:D
That's cool though, as I had no idea there were different spellings solely to differentiate between the person and the tool.
Interesting.
Thanks again.

s
Sure, I can take it and dish it out too... allow me to learn ya sumfin. welder the machine.
Weldor the person, but they only taught me that in the 1000 hr course in tech school.
Speaking of burnt up, last week I experienced the worse pants on fire in my history:eek:

Reminded me of when I was young, had a full basketball afro , USED HAIR SPRAY ON T IN THE MORNING TO HELP KEEP IT ROUND ALL DAY.
Was a plumber , and caught the hair spray on fire soldering copper lines up in the joists on a top out. Good thing it was colder than ---- or it might have hurt before I got it out !! "The girls loved it , I married one of them"

My dad taught himself to stick weld, then taught me what he knew, back in the 60's. My test for my welding: stick weld? beat it hard as Hell with a hammer, If it fails apart, well, you know, I failed.
Mig: If I see thru the holes I burned, yep,, I failed.
Solution": I go back and weld some more!!
I would love to have a TIG and actually learn to use it somewhat, but.......

My dad taught himself to stick weld, then taught me what he knew, back in the 60's. My test for my welding: stick weld? beat it hard as Hell with a hammer, If it fails apart, well, you know, I failed.
Mig: If I see thru the holes I burned, yep,, I failed.
Solution": I go back and weld some more!!
I would love to have a TIG and actually learn to use it somewhat, but.......
Tig is the chit. It would be your go to machine for precision welding...

And vice versa obviously, but with a bit of a twist.:D
So if someone said "go get the welder" the person wouldn't come back carrying the guy.:D
That's cool though, as I had no idea there were different spellings solely to differentiate between the person and the tool.
Interesting.
Thanks again.
The word has lost it`s way, even big$ corporations when running an add, say, looking for welders. Rarely see it used as it should. It`s all good.

My trick to making the panel not warp is to move around to let it cool, but i keep the compressed air close and hit it immediately after putting down a small bead (usually only 3/4"-). It keeps the panel from absorbing the heat and making you go really slow. When my panels aren't fit well and I'm filling gaps , this really becomes necessary. I M H O. Oh.... and lately I have kept my gas as much as 30 lbs to really protect the weld, primarily helps with startup.

I'm the a-hole?? Hahaha!

I just think it was a better method than MiG welding sheet metal.

Unlike aviation welding, the school was mostly geared in structural welding with a short stint mig welding.

In this hobby I see myself using tig for rollcages or aluminum (intake manifolds or cylinder heads) and enjoyed the penetration that stick welding gave in my limited experience (11 months).

I guess it can be viewed asking questions after being offered is being a dick?

Personally if I offered my expertise I wouldn’t **** on somebody for earnestly asking. The idea is an expert is offering help-use their generosity or spend a week sifting through YouTube where I personally find a ideas/beliefs often touted as facts.

It is no big deal if you don’t know some of those questions-I doubted that you had torch experience or much mig experience if you worked in the aviation field (which I figure is like my submarine welding-precision), but maybe it was possible that you did.

If you are offended, Probably don’t offer next time. Not everyone tip toes around others’ feelings. I apologize for being a dick.

Best wishes.

Sorry, I sensed a bit of "ok, let's see what he really knows" from your 1st post....and I was in rare form yesterday. So, I apologize for the dick, and old fart comment. The point is, there is a ton of information out there for free, and I assumed that most people would come to FABO for more hard to find answers to their questions. I guess I failed to realize that FABO is the only form of internet some people know.

I have gotten a lot of great information off of this website for years. Now I'm just looking to contribute something in return.[/QUOTE]

I did a lot of welding way back in high school, but never on floor pans, so I recently bought a nice little welder to do some pans that need to be done here. Some of the details such as how much pressure to run the argon, what setting to weld that thickness of metal and what wire speed would’ve been my questions. After reading your post to Mouser, I shied away from asking them here, as it may be rudimentary to you, but watching YouTube videos isn’t something I usually do. After reading your intiial post I thought it a better way to learn the details, coming from a weldor who likes Mopars and offered to answer questions. It didn’t say only questions from experienced welders, only that you would answer welding questions.

And yes, of course I would practice on scrap sections of pans, but that wouldn’t answer some of my questions. I guess I’ll head on over to YouTube and learn from a Chevy guy! Oh, the horror!!

Surely, if you just bought this mystery "welding machine" new, it would have come with a sheet with various different settings for different thicknesses and alloys. Or, if bought 2nd hand, you can find that material online. Plus.....why wouldn't you watch YouTube?? Seeing someone weld is 1000x better than reading about how to do it.

Now, there is a lot of **** you can't find answers to on youtube, and google......that is the whole essence of this thread.

Continuing with all of our panties in a wad, is not the way to move forward. So can we move on? Or keep whining?

I'm an old fart welder, my old man started me welding on farm equipment in the mid 70's, I had welding in ag shop and ended up getting certified in the early 90's to weld on boiler's where a pin hole could be disaster. I was a bodyman through the 80's worked for Mack trucks. Moved on to making brake line tubing for car manufacturing. I set up the tigs for engine components for Toyota, I've been to every Toyota plant in North America, if anybody on here owns a Toyota gaurenteed it has components I have dealt with. I ended up working in a lab using the CMM measuring components. I've worked with brazing furnaces used in modern manufacturing. Unfortunately my health fails me and my welding days are over. I sure miss the auto industry.

IMG_20161211_220948.jpg

So what is the best way to clean inside a body seam for welding?Its not uncommon for me to have to weld on a body seam on 40+ year old dirty,rusty,tin on a car body.I have tried everything I can think of but sometimes I just have to turn up the heat on my MIG and burn the crap out and pray that the weld holds...looks be damned.

So what is the best way to clean inside a body seam for welding?Its not uncommon for me to have to weld on a body seam on 40+ year old dirty,rusty,tin on a car body.I have tried everything I can think of but sometimes I just have to turn up the heat on my MIG and burn the crap out and pray that the weld holds...looks be damned.

I'd say you're doing it right. Aside from being able to reach, and weld prep ALL surfaces being welded. If possible, wire brush as much as you can, blow as much debris out that you can reach with compressed air. Maybe fabricate an "extension hose" attachment to your air gun to reach into tight spaces to blow out the "crap", and wipe, or flush with acetone. **Always evaporate the acetone with air, and make sure that the fumes are ventilated before striking an arc!** You can also try running a propane torch along the weld seam to burn off contaminants, inside and out, then wire brush again.

I read a Scarry post over on B body's only about a guy using brake cleaner and welding through it, the fumes about killed him.

I read a Scarry post over on B body's only about a guy using brake cleaner and welding through it, the fumes about killed him.

Your safest bet.....is to use either acetone, or isopropanol alcohol. It's not worth taking any chances, brake cleaner is for brakes, not weld prep.

Surely, if you just bought this mystery "welding machine" new, it would have come with a sheet with various different settings for different thicknesses and alloys. Or, if bought 2nd hand, you can find that material online. Plus.....why wouldn't you watch YouTube?? Seeing someone weld is 1000x better than reading about how to do it.

Now, there is a lot of **** you can't find answers to on youtube, and google......that is the whole essence of this thread.

Continuing with all of our panties in a wad, is not the way to move forward. So can we move on? Or keep whining?

If I can find it online, and that is your suggestion, then what the hell are you offering here, beside a shitty ******* attitude? My panties in a bunch? I don’t think so, so I’ll close this door for good and move on. I don’t see you “giving back” to anyone, so nice job!

I made a silly comment to my wife 36 years ago, she remembers it to this day. She can quote the day, the year, the time of day, and word for word what I said! Surely all us on here an do better!!!

I purchased a flux core Lincoln welder and wish I hadn't. This one can't be converted to gas and has been difficult for me to master. Currently doing floor pans for a friend's truck. Haven't found the happy spot temperature wise or speed wise. I have practiced and watched utube videos.

I have gotten a lot of great information off of this website for years. Now I'm just looking to contribute something in return.

I did a lot of welding way back in high school, but never on floor pans, so I recently bought a nice little welder to do some pans that need to be done here. Some of the details such as how much pressure to run the argon, what setting to weld that thickness of metal and what wire speed would’ve been my questions. After reading your post to Mouser, I shied away from asking them here, as it may be rudimentary to you, but watching YouTube videos isn’t something I usually do. After reading your intiial post I thought it a better way to learn the details, coming from a weldor who likes Mopars and offered to answer questions. It didn’t say only questions from experienced welders, only that you would answer welding questions.

And yes, of course I would practice on scrap sections of pans, but that wouldn’t answer some of my questions. I guess I’ll head on over to YouTube and learn from a Chevy guy! Oh, the horror!![/QUOTE]
See the pic i sent on tig thickness settings post 37 if you want ?

-
Back