Need Any Welding advice?

-
Honest question here: What faceshield is recommended for a beginner? I don’t want to f up my eyes.

Honest question here: What faceshield is recommended for a beginner? I don’t want to f up my eyes.

Good self darkening helmets can be had on the cheap.

Get one with adjustments and a wide viewing window.

With my eyes I needed one that is damned near completely clear and I can't see **** if goes damn near total darkness. So, adjustable it was.

I also have bifocals, so the wide viewport was necessary.

I have a few very expensive hoods. The other day a guy brought his hood over so I could help him set up his machine. It was the harbor freight one. It's not as nice as my fancy hood but its surprisingly not total garbage.

I'd say you're doing it right. Aside from being able to reach, and weld prep ALL surfaces being welded. If possible, wire brush as much as you can, blow as much debris out that you can reach with compressed air. Maybe fabricate an "extension hose" attachment to your air gun to reach into tight spaces to blow out the "crap", and wipe, or flush with acetone. **Always evaporate the acetone with air, and make sure that the fumes are ventilated before striking an arc!** You can also try running a propane torch along the weld seam to burn off contaminants, inside and out, then wire brush again.
never thought to try a propane torch or use acetone to try and flush the crap away.

-
Back