Need Info From Guys That Do Their Own Alignment

-

340doc

Reaction score
I'd like to gather what I need to do my own driveway alignment. I have a good Blue Point magnetic camber and caster gauge that attaches to the spindle. I've seen turntables on E-bay. Are these a must have? Also what about a toe gauge? Any tips are appreciated, Thanks.

For doing caster turn tables are a must.It make taking the measurement so much easier. Need a nice level spot to set up on. I made blocks of 4x4's to mount the turn tables and for the rear wheels to keep the car at the same height on all 4 corners.Also helps for setting toe.A trammel bar(toe bar) can be bought or you can make your own with some conduit,a stationary pointer and a adjustable pointer.Or if working with a helper a tape measure.Crude but gets the job done.Another Item is a scribe to mark the centerline of the front tires.I use chalk on the tires to see the scribe line better.OR you can just use the grooves of the tire.I bought most Items from the Mac tool guy when I was working,he even got me used turn tables.That was back before the internet.Now I'm sure you can fine everything on line.

Good info here. So I need the turntables and make sure the car is level. Thanks Darter.

I'mma have to look into this. Thanks for the info. Anymore would be great.
How close do you estimate you are getting or can you get right on with your numbers

Good info here. So I need the turntables and make sure the car is level. Thanks Darter.

Turn tables are so the wheels can turn left and right with little resistance when measuring so you don't resistance that can cause bad readings.

I have a set of turntables, but they are not absolutely necessary. Others have used two pieces of vinyl (I've used sheet metal) with grease between them.

I have a set of turntables, but they are not absolutely necessary. Others have used two pieces of vinyl (I've used sheet metal) with grease between them.

Or cardboard with sand under it even. :D
I wasn't going to mention all the possible ways of doing it.

So along that line of thinking, how about a pair of those dolly's you put under your wheels to push your car around. I know they have 4 casters on them and might be cheaper.

I had a friend who repossessed cars. He said liquid dish washing like joy was his best friend. Pour it around the tires and one man could push the car out of a tight parking place till he could hook to the car

I use 2 pieces of sheet metal with bearing grease between them for turn tables. Cheaper than hundreds of $$$$ for real turn tables.

To pieces of melamine shiny white board with grease works fine.

Just need to get the turning angles correct for the gauge you are using. Iirc, it's typically 30 degrees???

You can get the degrees close by going off how much your grease plate turned.

Pics below are just mock up. They don't show the grease plate we used. This is a Longacre gauge I bought.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you all for your suggestions. I like the low buck ideas when they produce good results!

I don't have a nice shop floor, I put the car on the trailer and blocked it and leveled it up.

All my tools are old used junk I bought used. Caster/ camber is an old Ammco, as are the turning plates I scored. Toe gauge WHICH YOU CAN MAKE I bought off Ebay. Turned out they were for a truck and would not fit under the car. I had to cut them down.

attachment.jpg

_mg_6329-jpg.jpg

_mg_6332-jpg.jpg

_mg_6332-jpg.1714605537
[/URL]

^^The software screwed me again!!! THANKS!!! software "improvements!!"

The toe gauge as received. WAY too tall LOL. I had to buy a tube. One IMPORTANT device, which you can make is the scribe devise at top. You jack one tire up at a time under the lower arm, and scribe a line in two places while rotating the tire...this gives you a true rotational plane for toe You don't need the fancy adjustable thing sold here, just a rod with pointers you can adjust............or two people and a tape measure!!

ammcotg-jpg.jpg

I don't have a nice shop floor, I put the car on the trailer and blocked it and leveled it up.

All my tools are old used junk I bought used. Caster/ camber is an old Ammco, as are the turning plates I scored. Toe gauge WHICH YOU CAN MAKE I bought off Ebay. Turned out they were for a truck and would not fit under the car. I had to cut them down.

View attachment 1715046508

View attachment 1715046509

View attachment 1715046511

_mg_6332-jpg.1714605537
[/URL]
^^The software screwed me again!!! THANKS!!! software "improvements!!"

The toe gauge as received. WAY too tall LOL. I had to buy a tube. One IMPORTANT device, which you can make is the scribe devise at top. You jack one tire up at a time under the lower arm, and scribe a line in two places while rotating the tire...this gives you a true rotational plane for toe You don't need the fancy adjustable thing sold here, just a rod with pointers you can adjust............or two people and a tape measure!!

View attachment 1715046510
Thanks for your input, can you elaborate on scribing a line in two places? I'm familiar with scribing one line on each tire.

So along that line of thinking, how about a pair of those dolly's you put under your wheels to push your car around. I know they have 4 casters on them and might be cheaper.

You could do that. Just remember though, that lifts the front end, which will exaggerate caster a little. In other words, it will appear you have more than you actually do.

As long as you make your adjustments so both sides are equal, you will be ok.

You could do that. Just remember though, that lifts the front end, which will exaggerate caster a little. In other words, it will appear you have more than you actually do.

As long as you make your adjustments so both sides are equal, you will be ok.
Oh ok, I gotcha.

...........Block up the rear to match the dollies........

-
Back