Need Opinions Fast!!!

-

Dusterb318

Reaction score
Don't hold back here I need honest opinion and I need em quick. I want to put a fuel pressure gauge on my hood cause I don't wanna drill any holes in my cowl. I have the one fuel pressure gauge for now but I will be adding another fuel pressure one and a nitrous pressure gauge. One fuel gauge will be for the carb and the other for the fuel side of the nitrous kit. So let me know if this looks okay and if I should move ahead with drilling holes in my hood:

P7160001.jpg

P7160002.jpg

P7160003.jpg

P7160005.jpg

P7160001.jpg

P7160001.jpg

P7160002.jpg

P7160002.jpg

P7160003.jpg

P7160003.jpg

P7160005.jpg

P7160005.jpg

I think that they look just fine there but let me give you the one peice of advice that I have learned. Make sure that they are pointing straight at you while you are sitting in the drivers seat. If they are pointing straight back you will have a hard time seeing them at night. I would probably also run one of the color filters on the light also.

I have the green filter on the bulb and good point on having it facing me....I will twist it a little when I mount it. Thanks.

Just a thought, but I used to have gauges on the hood. What I did though was to drill the back of the scoop and inset the gauges into the back of the scoop. Back then you could buy angle pieces that slipped over the gauge body and butted up against the front trim ring. These angle pieces allowed me to mount the gauge in through the angle pieces and then into the scoop so that when tightened down with the back retainer the gauge would sit angled toward the driver. Hope that makes sense. I would think now that if these angle pieces were no longer available (talking late '70's early 80's here) that a section of plastic pipe could be cut to do the same thing.

Anyway, just an option/idea for you as it all comes to personnal taste and where/what you think you can safely run. I popped them in the back of the scoop as it made them a little less noticable and a bit less likely that someone would muck with them. Also helped with vibration as they were a bit more stable in my thinking.

Cheers

You are on the right track and have come to the right place for opnions.
Anything on the hood is better than drilling the cowl.

Autometer still makes the angle rings and I have some but my the back of my 6-pack scoop isn't tall enough to fit a 2-5/8" gauge I don't think but that is a cool idea and I will look at that option tonight. Thanks.

I have seen body metal fabbed so the gauges fit into the fabricated part and it is welded to the hood it looks really good to. You only see the face of the gauges. I couldn't find a pic to show you what I mean.

Does anyone make an A pillar pod that might work? Like a universal one possibly? I have never been a fan of hood mounted guages.

No on the A-pillar and even if they did it wouldn't matter cause I am using a 2-5/8" gauge and the pillar pods use the 2-1/16" gauges.

I like it, alot. Just becaureful on mounting and wireing and I think it'll be fine.
Is the whole hood fiberglass or just the scoop. (OK, I'm busted for not having glass on...)
Just wondering. A bracket under the hood to stiffen it up when mounted was a though.

Why do you need a fuel pressure gauge? I have found that I don't even have time to look at my oil pressure gauge let alone a fuel pressure gauge when racing. I ran a fuel pressure gauge once because I suspected a fuel problem and needed to confirm this. After putting a new fuel pump on and running the gauge to make sure everything was OK I took it off the car.

Chuck

All 'glass hood. I'm putting it on to monitor my fuel pressure when I am running the nitrous.

So you are going to stare at the gauge while you are making a pass to make sure you don't starve your motor of fuel? By the time you have a chance to look and react it will be to late. You are better off to add a low pressure switch on the fuel side so you can concentrate on racing and not monitoring your gauges. If you run 7 psi on the fuel side put a 4 -5 psi pressure switch in the system to cut the power to the nitrous if it falls below that number. This way you can race and the car will monitor itself.

Chuck

I don't like the look of a pedestal mounted gauge on the hood. Just my humble opinion. Are you going to have 2 of these gauges in the hood?

Maybe fabricate a clip that would slip over the edge of the hood. You could fiberglass it on top and under the hood for support and then repaint the clip and hood together.

Something like this but for the hood
47b7d827b3127cce85dc406b940300000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Not sure how much the hood will flex and vibrate during a pass but your view of the needle may be a little blurry since it's a smaller gauge. Outside gauges could invite a-holes wanting to mess with your car.

-
Back