need some sb help with hp ratings, /6 converter and cam

-

connerray

Reaction score
I'm building up a 318 magnum, I used Mr gaskets .028 head gaskets and with the magnum heads and .050 in the hole puts me at 9.5-1. I'm down to selecting the cam and I'm using a /6 converter out of a 70 duster. The converter is natural balanced and the 318 is internal so it all bolts to better with no problems. But in order to get a better ideal of a can, I need to figure what the stall is going to be. I understand converters stall at different speeds behind different motors. Hears the motor specs so far.
318 magnum from a truck
9.5-1 cr
Stock every thing els any one have any ideals at the HP #s and help with cam selection? I want a high rpm screamer. And yes I know springs are a must thanks guys

You can not figure out the stall converters new stall rating because each cam size will create a different torque curve which effects the stall of the converter. More torque, more stall.

You'll get more rpm out of a solid cam a d them more out of a Hyd roller and more out of a solid roller. As each cam style listed goes up in performance and price, so does the rpm range also extend further over the prior one.

What gear ratio and tire size are you going to run?
(This would help greatly in helping you)

Rear tire size is 245/40r18 and gears will be 3.5-4.0. Nothing from the trans back is set in stone. I have a set of tires but no wheels yet so it can be changed. Same for the rear, as its 7¼ and will be upgraded.

And as for the mechanical roller cam, I can't find any thing with a low enuff lift with out having to do some machining to the heads..

What diameter is that tire?
The rear gear spread of 3.5 (3.55) - 4 (4.10) a very large spread.
You need to focus, know where your going first.

-
Back