Need to title a title-less car with no history- HELP!

-

67 cuda kid

Reaction score
So, I have spent the last 4 years of my life completely restoring my fathers 1967 barracuda. Painted it vit. C orange, put a bored out 340, threw a 4 speed and hurst shifter in it :burnout: ... so when it came time to put it on the road my father was ready to sign the title over to me on my 18th birthday he finds out it was in HIS fathers barn which burned down along with the rest of the information on the car. Bear in mind that this car has sat in this front yard for the last 20 years...at least! the ONLY information we had left was an affidavit from state trooper saying it was not a stolen vehicle.
We have been on the search for trying to get a title for the past 3 months. We have contacted Texas and Indiana about the information but they have told us they do not hold records back that far. So, what i really want to know is how you guys have gotten around this issue or if there is a loop hole you can help me with. Id like to drive the car to prom and graduation but it is not looking hot..and I definitely did not plan on putting an entire car together to sell if for parts or a drag car! so need some good advice please.

Just apply for a lost title in Indiana, not hard to do, provided you have the owner who it was last registered too, assuming it is your dad, you should be fine. You'll need a police inspection in Indiana. You could also go the bill of sale route. Have your dad fill out the affidavit from the BMV stating he sold you the car for 1.00....problem solved, you get a new title.

Ding Ding Ding....

http://in.gov/bmv/2957.htm

So basically send your dad a certified letter, tell him not to claim it, don't open it and go thru the procedures listed.

Typically, if you don't have a title and you have a car all you need to do is file for a new title. The DMV will send a letter to the last known address of the last legal owner asking if the car was stolen and/or if was legally sold. As long as the last legal owner does not contest the issuing of a new title to the current owner a tittle will be issued. For instance, if the last owner has died and no one at the last known address contests the issuing of a new title the DMV will issue one.
A bill of sale would help, especially if it's a relative.
treblig

I went through a similar thing in Texas. Since it was so long since the car was titled, I had to apply for a bonded title. Basically, you get a temporary title along with an insurance policy on the title/car. If after a few years and no one lays a rightful claim to the car, a new title is issued.

Typically, if you don't have a title and you have a car all you need to do is file for a new title. The DMV will send a letter to the last known address of the last legal owner asking if the car was stolen and/or if was legally sold. As long as the last legal owner does not contest the issuing of a new title to the current owner a tittle will be issued. For instance, if the last owner has died and no one at the last known address contests the issuing of a new title the DMV will issue one.
A bill of sale would help, especially if it's a relative.
treblig

we do not have the last known address of the car and nobody has record of it in DMV we tried pulling strings but to no avail

I went through a similar thing in Texas. Since it was so long since the car was titled, I had to apply for a bonded title. Basically, you get a temporary title along with an insurance policy on the title/car. If after a few years and no one lays a rightful claim to the car, a new title is issued.

i like this idea!! bonded title, i'll check it out

I did this in Indiana pretty easy to do

(1) get a police inspection - all they do is check the VIN for anything that may be against it - stolen etc
(2) go to the license branch and get a form stating that they can't issue a title and why
(3) go to your court house - I believe it's the same place you file a small claims and fill out the form wanting a new title they will want as much info as possible plus how much you paid for it when you bought it - it will then go to the judge and he will OK it or have a hearing with you to ask a few questions - once Ok'd buy the judge you can go back to the license branch ( or mail it in I can't remember) and apply for the title I think it took me about a month or so and I had a hearing with the judge as long as everything is up and up easy process my car was last titled in Texas and I bought it in Kentucky and even didn't have a bill of sale any questions PM me with your phone number and I'll call you

Hopefully, your laws are not like Georgia. Here, if a car has ever been registered without a title, you cannot get a title. Ever. Even Broadway Title cannot help you.

We have bonded titles here in Iowa. Not too hard just takes time. tmm

Here in oklahoma it's a pretty simple title 42 process. I bought a 73 camaro roller with a title, tag, or known history. I just gave my address and the VIN number to a local title/notary/tag agent and in less than a month I had a title. It cost me less than $150 total for the 42 paperwork and to transfer it to my name.

thank you all for you help! Indiana has different laws than Texas, and especially Georgia. There is no bonded titles available in Indiana but according to many people I have talked to, one can obtain a title by just filling out a form stating that I need a new title and go through the court. I will update you all on how it goes, thank you once again!...By the way I did check out title co. and they wanted to charge $900.

Anyone in FL ever use "Florida Fast Title"?

I paid broadway title back before mainely title acquired them.

It was $375, but during the acquisition the price went up to do the "no police inspection", and it was going to be almost a grand on top of what I had already spent.

Needless to say, I'm not really thrilled with them, and am looking for alternatives.

If there are no existing records of the car being registered in any state (most only go back 10 years), they will just issue a new title, and verify the VIN. You will be asked to sign an affidavit that you did not receive a title with the car. At least, that's how they handled it in CA, for a "barn find" car I just processed.

-
Back