New guy with a new project

-
Quick update: I've got the old /6 pulled out and am working on cleaning up the frame / k-memeber for paint. I've also been working on collecting all the parts for the disc conversion and rear end as well, going BBP so I can get the 17" wheels that I bought on there.

PICT0161.jpg

PICT0160.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

I've also got the 360 torn down, ready for the machine shop and the 727 is going in for some work as well:

PICT0164.jpg

PICT0163.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

PICT0152.jpg

Welcome,you've made the right choice moving to Mopars,better yet A bodies=D>
Ask all the questions you may have. The people on this site are a great bunch with decades of knowledge.

What's the deal with the front shock towers?

The last owner had lowered the car and think that this was his way of keeping the shock travel...I have'nt figured out what i'm going to do with that yet.

I have all the disc brake conversion parts needed now...I have sand blasted all the parts and am getting them ready to paint as well. new bushings, ball joints etc...going in pretty soon too!

Looking good... I will add that when you feel the power from the 360 you will be entirely converted.... No more Chevy...

Nice solid project car! I'm looking at a similar 70 duster, same trim-is the side trim just glued on or are there holes to be filled? Looks like you removed some of the trim and I'm hoping to do the same without having to weld a whole lot.

Getting a free car in that condition is a rare piece of luck. I've seen some deals on Craigs List. But nothing to match this. Good luck on your rebuild.

Nice solid project car! I'm looking at a similar 70 duster, same trim-is the side trim just glued on or are there holes to be filled? Looks like you removed some of the trim and I'm hoping to do the same without having to weld a whole lot.

Yes...they are just taped on there (luckily) with double sided tape, so they just peel off.

Cool, thats what I was hoping. Going to look at the car on sunday, might have to sell the 64 to make room. I want somthing to modify but I haven't been able to bring myself to modify a GT V8 4 speed car, a base slant 6 duster seems perfect! Glad you've started your project, I'll be following the progress, hope you dont mind me stealing ideas!

Alright, it has been awhile since I have updated, so it is:

I have not had time lateley to work on the car but dug in a little this week and pulled the k-frame, suspension and steering. I ordered all new bushings ball joints, control arm bumpers, inner / outer tie rods. idler arm....everything new for the front end and should have it all next week.

The motor has been at the machine shop for about two weeks now but I have not checked on it, I probably will today but I told the guy that I was not in that big of a hurry right now as I am focusing on the suspension anyway.

Getting ready

PICT0204.jpg

disconnected from uppers

PICT0205.jpg

It's out

PICT0206.jpg

PICT0207.jpg

Breaking it down

PICT0208.jpg

I spent a few hours yesterday sandblasting and priming the k-frame...

Ready for paint...
PICT0209.jpg

Next is the rear end, which I already have but need to go pick up and then these will be going the car...

PICT0210.jpg

PICT0211.jpg

Great find! It looks like a PO breathed on the /6, too. The Holley 2 bbl isn't a stock item.

The wheels are cool. I'm interested to see how the 255/50-17s work out for you. I tried a set of 255/60-15s on the Demon with unsatisfactory results. They were too close to the springs in the back and too close to the top of the wheel well in front. I'm running 235/60-15s now.

Great find! It looks like a PO breathed on the /6, too. The Holley 2 bbl isn't a stock item.

The wheels are cool. I'm interested to see how the 255/50-17s work out for you. I tried a set of 255/60-15s on the Demon with unsatisfactory results. They were too close to the springs in the back and too close to the top of the wheel well in front. I'm running 235/60-15s now.

Actually the 255's are going in the back and in the front, I will be running 225's. We'll see how it works out.

Here is how I spent my Saturday.

I re-installed the K-memeber with all new bushings, ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, torsion bars....everything basically and finished the disc swap.

PICT0217.jpg

PICT0218.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

PICT0220.jpg

PICT0221.jpg

Now the rear end and suspension is getting swapped out and then off to the body shop.

I am working on swapping the rear end, I found a 9 1/4 that is the right width from backing to backing plate but the brakes are to deep making it 2 1/2" wider. What are my options for brakes to bring the rear back in 1 1/4" on either side?

-
Back