New member formula S 1966

-
I don't have the car present but had the previous owner take a look and sent him pictures of rears and he picked the 7 1/4

IMG_0232.JPG
I don't have the car present but had the previous owner take a look and sent him pictures of rears and he picked the 7 1/4

A real plus is finding the original broadcast sheet somewhere in the car. Most are found under the rear seat cushion, under the carpet or above the glove box. This sheet will provide you with information the assembly line used when building the car at the factory. If you happen to find it, post a copy and FABO members can decode it for you.
The metal fender tag (driver side inner fender panel-you posted this) and Certicard, if it has survived, is housed in a plastic holder located on the passenger side inner fender.
Both of these items offer small amounts of information, but are valuable just the same.
I don't think a lot of these cars came with the optional fast ratio manual steering. The broadcast sheet will show whether it did or didn't, but you will know immediately if it has a fast ratio box from the heavy steering effort needed at low speeds (or parking).
Just a detail I noticed from your fender tag and console pictures. In 1966, when a Barracuda was ordered with a radio, the fender tag would have the number "1" stamped under large "R" indicating an AM radio. Your fender tag has no number under the "R" and I think I know why. The AM/FM radio was available but only as a dealer installed option. I think your car was ordered sans the radio and when the car arrived at the dealership the new owner paid the dealer to upgrade. The fuzzy picture of your radio appears to be a AM/FM model and if so, consider yourself very fortunate. These are now expensive and fairly rare. If it's AM, well I've missed again.
Anyway, I have a 66 Formula S with the fast ratio steering, so I do know about the steering effort.
Good luck....these are neat and fun cars to drive.

Happy happy happy I will find out sooon just checked the bumper sticker sun city sheriffs posse
That's the sheriff always on the news with the border patrol and jail lmao

Hope the radio works, mine has an AM that doesn't.

A real plus is finding the original broadcast sheet somewhere in the car. Most are found under the rear seat cushion, under the carpet or above the glove box. This sheet will provide you with information the assembly line used when building the car at the factory. If you happen to find it, post a copy and FABO members can decode it for you.
The metal fender tag (driver side inner fender panel-you posted this) and Certicard, if it has survived, is housed in a plastic holder located on the passenger side inner fender.
Both of these items offer small amounts of information, but are valuable just the same.
I don't think a lot of these cars came with the optional fast ratio manual steering. The broadcast sheet will show whether it did or didn't, but you will know immediately if it has a fast ratio box from the heavy steering effort needed at low speeds (or parking).
Just a detail I noticed from your fender tag and console pictures. In 1966, when a Barracuda was ordered with a radio, the fender tag would have the number "1" stamped under large "R" indicating an AM radio. Your fender tag has no number under the "R" and I think I know why. The AM/FM radio was available but only as a dealer installed option. I think your car was ordered sans the radio and when the car arrived at the dealership the new owner paid the dealer to upgrade. The fuzzy picture of your radio appears to be a AM/FM model and if so, consider yourself very fortunate. These are now expensive and fairly rare. If it's AM, well I've missed again.
Anyway, I have a 66 Formula S with the fast ratio steering, so I do know about the steering effort.
Good luck....these are neat and fun cars to drive.
Excellent. I appreciate the observation hope it's as you described (DEALER INSTALLED) if not well the help and hope was well worth the wait. Trying to find the dealer options I hope to find the build sheet. First mission

Fender tag will give you some information and their are plenty of help here to help you with the information. Also you can google and find lots of information. The build sheet is full of information and would be great to find. I never found the one for my 65. Hope you are able to locate yours.

4 speed in 66 should have had an 8 3/4.
Well....I have 2 1966 Formula S 4 speed cars, both w/Suregrip and both 7 1/4 from the factory. I do know that 8 3/4 rears were in some early A-bodies, but I have never figured out a customer specified and ordered one with the 8 3/4.
The tow package may have had the larger rear, but tow packages specified only available with automatic transmissions.
In 1967 the 273 hp with 4 speed came standard with the 8 3/4.
Perhaps later build 66's with manual transmission and hp engines came with the 8 3/4, but most early ones I've come across didn't.
I have also read that when a 7 1/4 went belly-up under warranty, Chrysler replaced them with 8 3/4's.
A lot of speculation here, if somebody knows the facts, I loved to hear them.

IMG_0240.JPG
Well....I have 2 1966 Formula S 4 speed cars, both w/Suregrip and both 7 1/4 from the factory. I do know that 8 3/4 rears were in some early A-bodies, but I have never figured out a customer specified and ordered one with the 8 3/4.
The tow package may have had the larger rear, but tow packages specified only available with automatic transmissions.
In 1967 the 273 hp with 4 speed came standard with the 8 3/4.
Perhaps later build 66's with manual transmission and hp engines came with the 8 3/4, but most early ones I've come across didn't.
I have also read that when a 7 1/4 went belly-up under warranty, Chrysler replaced them with 8 3/4's.
A lot of speculation here, if somebody knows the facts, I loved to hear them.
Here is a picture sent to me

Welcome I have a 66 Barracuda S auto, air, ps, pb . It has 43,000 miles. I enjoy the car and I hope you get yours running and driving soon. Nice find.

cars.JPG

-
Back