New piston springs.

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my 5.9 magnum with a Hughes cam and EQ heads. They never said anything about return springs. I'll order some up and install them next winter.

Amazing how much better it runs with new piston return springs.. I may need to do that to the Barracuda..

I heard that you can just coil them through the spark plug hole without popping the head.

I heard that you can just coil them through the spark plug hole without popping the head.

Not with those high performance 120 lb/in springs! Possible with weaker springs though.

Will you get more torque with a heavier spring?

Additional swirling action due to the spring rotation and can be installed in the left or right position.

Additional swirling action due to the spring rotation and can be installed in the left or right position.

No, no, those are piston rotator springs so the rings wear evenly.
Hope they checked for coil bind.

Those combined with the posi additive and you got a straight line rocket!!

I thought the three different colored marks on the timing belt was a nice touch.:D

I thought the three different colored marks on the timing belt was a nice touch.:D
Yeah, 'cause there's no chance you might slip a tooth on the crank pulley while you're dickin around pulling the head off or anything, right?

Yeah, 'cause there's no chance you might slip a tooth on the crank pulley while you're dickin around pulling the head off or anything, right?

And the fact that it only needs one mark as long as it doesn't slip on the crank.
I have torn down belted engines before for a quickie head gasket replacement and not used TDC and just marked the belt and pulley at the cam, but the three marks in different colors cracked me up because it was so pointless.

How do you back them off in the winter? Do you have to remove the head?

How do you back them off in the winter? Do you have to remove the head?
No, that's why spark plugs gaps are so important, they help preload the spring. I've always been told to remove .005" from plug gaps in the winter just like you remove 5 wts. from your oil for cold weather.

No, that's why spark plugs gaps are so important, they help preload the spring. I've always been told to remove .005" from plug gaps in the winter just like you remove 5 wts. from your oil for cold weather.
WOW! Man, remind me not to buy ANYTHING you are selling!:D:D

nope, that won't work. You need adjustable head gaskets to change spring preload seasonally.

Here in California the Winters aren't so bad...all we have to do is back off the head bolts a few turns and we're good to go.

Jeff

-
Back