Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, Inc.
230 PENSION ROAD • ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. 07726 • Tel. 732-446-7800
[email protected] www.racewaypark.com
The Napp Family FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park January 17, 2018
RACEWAY PARK ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING OF BUSINESS
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business
announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations. To achieve this
goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events
effective immediately. Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the
facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its
operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both
motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road
course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and
more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway
Park will also continue to operate as normal.
The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018
while allowing Raceway Park to still continue to operate as it has in the past with the
exception of drag racing.
The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the
many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway
Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the
past five decades. The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the
employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years. It
is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the
family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of
Raceway Park.
About Raceway Park
Raceway Park has been a family owned and operated business since its opening on
July 4th 1965. For the past fifty two years the Napp family has focused on presenting
the very best in fast family fun that includes NHRA sanctioned drag racing events,
AMA sanctioned motocross racing, motocross practice, auto swap meets, auto
shows, top rated drifting events, competition karting events, alternative motorsport
and lifestyle events, athletic endurance events, history making concerts and music
festivals and much more.

This is horrible. It was the closest race track to me. And I am in lower manhattan! I was going to go race my Dart this year there at the mopar show. Thank you for this. I will share on my social media outlets as well.

That’s sad to lose any track. The reality is Drag Racing is done. It’s expensive and boring Racing. NASCAR is about to create a bunch of ghost tracks too. Generations now aren’t into racing.

This is horrible. It was the closest race track to me. And I am in lower manhattan! I was going to go race my Dart this year there at the mopar show. Thank you for this. I will share on my social media outlets as well.
Go to Island Dragway. It's actually closer to you when you figure in traffic.

The current crop of teens dont' even want to DRIVE! They are concerned they won't be able to stay on there social media accounts while driving. No ****, study by NASCAR found they would rather just call LYFT or UBER. SAD. Lots don't even have a drivers license.

My sons 14 knows how to power brake , burnout , back in stage using a foot brake n make them smoke on the word go.....just saying

Just read that on competition.com. Sad news.
Living in SoCal I never had the opportunity to get to Englishtown but I've been following NHRA racing for years. What other facilities in the area can handle the Summernationals that were scheduled for Old Bridge Township Race Park in E-town June 7-10?
NHRA has got to be scrambling to find another location for a major race.

That’s sad to lose any track. The reality is Drag Racing is done. It’s expensive and boring Racing. NASCAR is about to create a bunch of ghost tracks too. Generations now aren’t into racing.

This is not true at all. Tv shows like street outlaws and YouTube channels like 1320 video are bringing a ton of fans to the sport. Look up videos of street outlaw guys running at a track and the place is packed. Watch videos from “lights out” or “no mercy” and you will see loads of spectators and racers. I would be willing to bet that there is more interest in drag racing now then we had in the last 3 decades.

This is not true at all. Tv shows like street outlaws and YouTube channels like 1320 video are bringing a ton of fans to the sport. Look up videos of street outlaw guys running at a track and the place is packed. Watch videos from “lights out” or “no mercy” and you will see loads of spectators and racers. I would be willing to bet that there is more interest in drag racing now then we had in the last 3 decades.
NOT traditional drag racing. Out law ****, on the verge of illegal.

yeah - that sucks! Thankfully we did get down there once, great place - ..was kinda hoping to make the trek again someday. I wonder how long they've been planning this - ? The Epping event was re-established only what - 5 or 6 year ago now... kinda makes me wonder if they added Epping with the knowledge that Englishtown was exiting...

All that racing is below the Mason/Dixson line. That's where the base is located. Its fast and exciting. Don't wait for NHRA/IHRA to save the sport. NMCA,SGMP and for a small amount Yellow Bullet Nationals is the future. Many people raced laughed at Pinks All Out. That show pushed drag racing to where it is today with the general public. Now a format needs to be developed where the rest of the racers can compete.

NOT traditional drag racing. Out law ****, on the verge of illegal.

I didn’t know we were talking about “traditional” drag racing. A lot of what 1320video films is flat out illegal and there is no denying that. That’s a different conversation but the fact of the matter is that their videos get literally hundereds of thousands of views on YouTube and it gets young people interested in the hobby.

The NHRA is dying but heads up racing is thriving.

Saddening to say the least. Spent some time at E-town. I vaguely remember when the wall was put up to "help with the noise". Went to the Spring and Summer Nationals many times. Never forget the day I was pitting for a guy that had a brand new dragster, we were going thru chassis cert. Long *** line. Behind us was a SS HEMI Dart, guy had just bought it, and all the trophies the car had won at various events. Owner got called away, told me when the inspection was done to fire it up and drive it over to the "big purple trailer over there"....spent some time in chatting with Bob Glidden, ended up having lunch with him....

NHRA events are way down on attendance. TV coverage maybe up on these free to watch reality shows. No hotdogs, hamburgers, cokes or anything else that supports a Track are sold during these shows. Millennials are not watching these shows. Existing car guys are. Street Outlaws do not help these tracks unless they are hosting an event there.

Did the people in the surrounding areas finally mount enough opposition so that drag racing was shut down? Nothing mentioned in the news release about why it's happening.

According to news items over the last few years it sounded like pressure was building to make this happen. It's happened elsewhere. Hasn't there been curfews the last few years about how late at night cars can run?

Yeah, motocross is noisy, but NOTHING compared to nitro cars, that noise will carry for miles.

I wonder why they pulled this move.
Maybe time for a scaled down work week in preparation for retirement?
They have been at it for a long time.

Did the people in the surrounding areas finally mount enough opposition so that drag racing was shut down? Nothing mentioned in the news release about why it's happening.

According to news items over the last few years it sounded like pressure was building to make this happen. It's happened elsewhere. Hasn't there been curfews the last few years about how late at night cars can run?

Yeah, motocross is noisy, but NOTHING compared to nitro cars, that noise will carry for miles.[/QUOTE

Nitro

Yeah, motocross is noisy, but NOTHING compared to nitro cars, that noise will carry for miles.
Considering the strip has been there over 50 years, a known fact of the area, the public only wanted reasonable noise restrictions and time limits that we race until a decent hour.

-
Back