no power to ballast resistor

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
more problems i am not getting any power to ballast resistor when i check it with light, and key on any help? thanks

Are you getting power to the voltage regulator on the blue wire. If not I would check where it goes into the bulkhead connector and see if you are getting power there. If not there check it on the inside of the connector by unplugging in and checking the same terminal. If no power there then go to the switch and check the blue wire there. If no power there then bad switch. any where else it is a bad wire or connection.

Jason

Firstly...are you getting power to your ignition switch? The voltage from (#1 Start position) go's to the Resistor. Also the other side of the resistor #2 is fed from your RUN position.

Yeah that too! Your trying to keep me on my toes aren't you. I was kinda figureing he meant run power. But good point. But the break down would pretty much be the same. You can check the switch first as it would probably save some steps ( I think about 5 the way I told you to check) but if not then I would work from the outside in.

Haha.. you two.. crazy love birds.. a battle of eletrical edu-ma-cation..

Electrical problems suck.. Have fun.

Cerwin

BJS racing said:
Yeah that too! Your trying to keep me on my toes aren't you. I was kinda figureing he meant run power. But good point. But the break down would pretty much be the same. You can check the switch first as it would probably save some steps ( I think about 5 the way I told you to check) but if not then I would work from the outside in.

Hee-Hee...Troubleshooting at it's best.... :salute: I'm not chasing you down...were just posting about the same time with our own ideas :thumbup:

when i turn on key everything lights up the problem is it is a fresh rebuild and dont want to screw anything up internally so i guess i need to solve this problem first, it ran and started fine when brought up from back garage to change motor dont know what could of happened help and thanks

gotdust57@yahoo said:
when i turn on key everything lights up the problem is it is a fresh rebuild and dont want to screw anything up internally so i guess i need to solve this problem first, it ran and started fine when brought up from back garage to change motor dont know what could of happened help and thanks

If you have power in "Run" or on only, that's a good thing...It's the "Start" side. So you said that when the key is held in the Start position there no power at the resistor? What color is the wire that has no power (brown)? And where's your ignition located...column or dash?

i traced the wires back and here is what i have, there is four wires going to plug in wiper motor which is located below ballast resistor one goes to right side of resistor, the left wire on resistor goes back to block on firewall, no juice coming out of it, wire going to wiper motor is fine and getting juice, wipers work, it seems i am not getting juice coming out of wire in block, it is brown wire, key start is in column, used to be electronic ignition if it matters that someone switched to points, but i have never had any problems before. thanks

The brown wire going to the Ballast should have power in the start position. If you to to the connector at the column check the brown wire there. If you have power there while in the crank position then it is more than likely a problem in the bulk head. If no power more than likely a bad switch.

are you talking about the ballast resisitor on th wiper? you need the other ballast.

-
Back