Non ATF+4 in a A500 trans..?

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
As I've been told & followed so far an A500 (904+o.d.) only should have ATF+4 fluid, right?
Well I'm in trouble now; I'm stuck out of reach for ATF+4 & have to drive the car & myself away from where I'm at & the only trans fluid on the shelves here is normal ATF for some gm product that's been left behind...
So my question is: What can or will happen to my trans if I use normal ATF?

Late at night I ripped a cooler line out when it caught on a tie rod end miles from home in the time before cell phones. Only had a gallon of pure Prestone and no funnel. I made it home on coolant/atf mix as it dumped out the line and onto the exhaust. Smoky fun.

You'll be fine. I doubt any damage will occur in the short term, but hopefully this thread bump will get you some better responses.

Spend a little time with the search function.......Shows lots of life experience running just about everything. I found that strange when I was trying to decide what fluid to use in my 727.......Decided on ATF +4 as well.

Maybe @Duster346 can answer this question. He's a pro.

Dextron will be fine,the plus four has a additive pack to keep the converter clutch from chattering.Some 500s and 518s have seen many thousands of miles with no ill effect.

Last edited:
It would also be interesting to know what acually will happen if ordinary ATF happend to be poured in of someone who don't know that is should be ATF+4 or at least Dexron3.
Knowlage, that is...

It would also be interesting to know what acually will happen if ordinary ATF happend to be poured in of someone who don't know that is should be ATF+4 or at least Dexron3.
Knowlage, that is...
Nothing.

Been running Type F in my A500 for almost ten years of daily driving with zero issues.
Just like the 727 and 904, these things would run on used french fry oil.

Does it matter what fluid the trans started life filled with? Or if there's a mix within the trans?
I'm sure they use the same seal material and friction material as other branded transmissions.

Technically, yes it does matter as the manufacturer states that ATF+4 is not backwards compatible. So, you can start off with Dex III and switch to ATF+4, but not the other way around.

As mentioned, ATF+4 is a semi-synthetic fluid with anti shudder additives for lockup torque converters. It is a good fluid to use, even in non-lockup applications. We use it in bracket cars with great results.

I don't use or recommend type F fluid.

@Duster346 Chris....have you heard of using a blue colored hydraulic fluid as transmission fluid in automatics? I read here or somewhere else that it is the equivalent of ATF+4 or better. I'll give you an AMEN on not pouring DexIII in on top of ATF+4. Wifes 96 Chrysler Cirrus got to leaking trans fluid at a cooler hose years ago. Dummy me trying to keep it full until I could fix the hose added Dex III to the A604. Swelled every seal in it and into limp mode it went. That wasn't cheap to fix! :BangHead:

As I've been told & followed so far an A500 (904+o.d.) only should have ATF+4 fluid, right?
Well I'm in trouble now; I'm stuck out of reach for ATF+4 & have to drive the car & myself away from where I'm at & the only trans fluid on the shelves here is normal ATF for some gm product that's been left behind...
So my question is: What can or will happen to my trans if I use normal ATF?
What does the manual, or stick say? You mention that you have been told (by who) to use ATF+4. I have a 1992 A518 (727 + O/D) in my truck, and the stick says Dexron.

Swollen seals is the result of a “stop leak/trans conditioner” There is nothing in in dexron or type F fluids that will swell seals.

Technically, yes it does matter as the manufacturer states that ATF+4 is not backwards compatible. So, you can start off with Dex III and switch to ATF+4, but not the other way around.

As mentioned, ATF+4 is a semi-synthetic fluid with anti shudder additives for lockup torque converters. It is a good fluid to use, even in non-lockup applications. We use it in bracket cars with great results.

I don't use or recommend type F fluid.
Id always heard that it IS backwards compatible, that you could use. ATF+4 in something with mostly dexron but not the other way around.
What's this "universal" fluid that claims to replace about every other fluid besides ATF+3/+4?
I mean it'll replace dexron Vi, mercon, and more...
I think it has more to do with Mopar anal trademark stance than anything else. Id bet it would be fine in a Mopar trans in place of+4

If this is a 1993 and up tranny with a lock up converter in it the lining in the lock up will come apart and fill the trans cooler. Use ATF+4. Kim

Last edited:
The electronic controlled transmissions that require ATF+4 should ONLY use ATF+4 or an acceptable substitute that is designed to cover the requirement.

From research and the what I personally have seen, because of the way the engagement of the TC clutch is done, which is by having slippage to allow a smoother engagement. Because of this intentional design of this operation, the friction of the TC clutch (and probably the other clutches as well) causes your standard Dex/Merc fluid to get hot enough to boil. When ATF boils it makes foam and that will cause all the clutches in the transmission to fry, and you might even see the fluid volcano out of the dipstick tube.

I'm sure using a little bit of dexron ATF won't hurt if you just need to get going and it's not long term.

Hmmm... So what you're saying (or rather writing), Ant, is that the overdrive is the reason for the need of +4..?

Last edited:
Hmmm... So what you're saying (or rather writing) Ant is that the overdrive is the reason for the need of +4..?
I said nothing about overdrive.

Also, quote the person you are replying to. It helps them know that you are responding directly to them.

I said nothing about overdrive.

Also, quote the person you are replying to. It helps them know that you are responding directly to them.
So it does make it easier to understand who responds to if the whole sentence is there, not just the name?

I thought "TC" had to do with the overdrive gear in the extra housing at the back & that the rest / front of the trans is just a ordinary 904 or 727 & that that would be where the electonics are, no..?

Last edited:
-
Back