Not just vintage CAR parts are "china suckage"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
There is ONE magneto coil part number that fits pretty much all OMC outboard breaker points mags after about '55. The OEM ones crack open from deterioration of the epoxy, so if you get an outboard and they have not been replaced at some point, they are guaranteed open to moisture. You cannot buy OEM ones because there is no more OMC, even Evinrude is now gone.

this leaves ebay and or Sierra Marine. The Sierra ones "had" been from Germany, but now they see to be all from China. And the China ones suck. They do not develop anywhere near the spark energy that even the old "broke open" OMC originals do.

I have just last couple of weeks, been looking around ebay for not only NOS German made ones, but actually USED OEM/ Sierra/ German ones

Previously I got into a VERY heated war with an egag seller over china coils. I am even considering trying to strip off some of the epoxy off "better" ones, baking them, and re-coating them with epoxy. One big stumbling block is the secondary wire connection, which is weak and easily broken.

img_2944cs-jpg.jpg

img_2943cs-jpg.jpg

img_2938cs-jpg.jpg

img_2937cs-jpg.jpg

img_2935cs-jpg.jpg

img_2933cs-jpg.jpg

I have a 66’ Seahorse 40 same issue. Took forever to find factory coils to replace the 2 I bought on eBay and found out the windings were a lot thinner wire. Left me running on one cylinder to get home. Sad.

In the last few days I found some German made NOS Sierra Marine ones, and also bought some "nice" used ones, OEM

I wish now I'd saved more of the OEM ones that cracked open. I'd be inclined to "re-epoxy" them, especially now as I have good means to really test them

Another thing occurred to me today which might be part of the problem, "might." The alloy of iron used in the core laminations matters. If the chinese are using "any old thing" that could very well explain the nonsense.

The sad part is, it really does not cost any more to make them correctly, as not

-
Back