Odd Suspension Issue "Fixed" Itself

-

DailyDriverDart

Reaction score
Hi folks, hoping someone can shed some light on this and/or has maybe even experienced it...

First a little background: Car is a '73 Dart Custom 4-door beat-up daily driver my wife had when I met her and which she's driven daily since then, some 30 years. All stock, recent (around 9 months) upper ball joints, tie-rod ends, idler arm, and front strut rod bushings, alignment & ride height to stock spec.

Issue: While at work I got a text from her saying the car was making a tire-squealing noise and driving funny when she left the local Costco parking lot, having been fine up to that point. So she took slow back roads home and left it for me.

At first look I could see the front suspension was jacked up so high I would have thought someone had stolen the engine had she not driven it home. The driver-side wheel was also noticeably positive-cambered and toed-in (hence the squealing). My fellow gear-head neighbor said he'd never seen a suspension look like that outside of the drag strip following an unplanned wheel stand (and that was coil springs coming out of their anchors, so not the answer here).

I jacked it from the center crossmember to get both wheels off the ground & proceeded to start looking for what was broken or loose, which was nothing. Ran the steering lock-to-lock and didn't hear/feel/see anything weird, so proceeded to jack each side separately from the lower control arms, at which time I discovered the lower ball joints are pretty loose both axially & radially.

So I set the thing back down & told the wife I'd have to order some parts, backed it out of the driveway onto the street, and saw a puzzled look on my neighbor's face as I parked next to the curb and he (and I, upon getting a look) realized the suspension had returned to normal.

I already know it needs lower ball joints, but I don't like problems that seem to resolve themselves followed by parts-shotgunning in hopes it doesn't happen again.

Question: Any theories or experience as to what was going on here?

Thanks for reading, Mark

Lower control arm bushings, or the sleave in the k frame where the lower control arm pin passes through is probably cracked.

Had that once with a 67 Coronet. 2 guys with a tape measure tried to set toe. One had a idea what he was doing the other not a clue.Hence too much toe caused the front of the car to rise going forward but settled back down when backing up. Possible the worn parts may have caused this.Just a thought .Weirdest thing I ever saw..

Lower control arm bushings, or the sleave in the k frame where the lower control arm pin passes through is probably cracked.

Thanks - I've been avoiding the harder stuff (more down-time) like LCA bushings and such but we finally got another grocery-getter so maybe it can finally happen.

Meantime after your post I started looking around the forum for threads on those K-member sleeves, what to look for, and how to fix them. Pity so many of the pictures from a lot of those posts have disappeared.

Thanks - I've been avoiding the harder stuff (more down-time) like LCA bushings and such but we finally got another grocery-getter so maybe it can finally happen.

Meantime after your post I started looking around the forum for threads on those K-member sleeves, what to look for, and how to fix them. Pity so many of the pictures from a lot of those posts have disappeared.

Send a message to @Jim Lusk, I bet he has pictures of how to fix the LCA pin sleeves.

Hopefully it just really needs LCA bushings, because if one of the sleeves has come loose you have some cutting and welding to do.

Drove a pickup home to my shop and discovered upper control arm rusted and almost broke right off. Explains the odd driving and vibration.

Had that once with a 67 Coronet. 2 guys with a tape measure tried to set toe. One had a idea what he was doing the other not a clue.Hence too much toe caused the front of the car to rise going forward but settled back down when backing up. Possible the worn parts may have caused this.Just a thought .Weirdest thing I ever saw..

Good one! Think I might have something similar going on. We took it up to the DIY car wash yesterday to prep for the suspension work and it was fine until taking a hard turn over a drop-down exiting the wash, after which it was all jacked up & weird again. Rolling backward with some repeated brake jabs brought it back to normal.

I'll follow up with findings as more is revealed.

Similar problem here. Putting together '71 Valiant for my son and every time I jack front end off the ground by frame and then set it down, the front end stays up at least 3" over normal height. Jouncing front of car does not change ride height. Car must be driven, with several turns, in order for front to settle down. Kept thinking previous owner or front end guy possibly tightened upper control arm bushings with weight off suspension ( has newer QA1 upper arms). We set ride height for best camber setting (eyeball), and adjusted toe so we could drive it for first time over the weekend. After one day of driving, front end alignment completely changed itself. Checked everything Monday and found lower control arm bushings shot. All makes sense now.

Just a little update with a few pics.

Yes the LCA bushings are bad, especially the driver side where there wasn't much but a tiny scrap of rubber left. This also led to wear on the control arm itself from frame rubbing as well as grooves in the pivot pin. The k-member sleeve weld is broken on that side and the front hole wallowed out as well.

Then just to add more injury I discovered the passenger side control arm has a nasty crack in it where the torsion bar side of the adjusting blade rides.

I pulled the trigger on a couple used LCA's off ebay just for starters, and am now contemplating how (or whether) to address the broken sleeve weld.
IMG_0741 Lo-res.jpg
IMG_0747 Lo-res.jpg
IMG_0730 Lo-res.jpg
IMG_0733 Lo-res.jpg
IMG_0738 Lo-res.jpg
IMG_0740 Lo-res.jpg

WOW!!! :eek:

Those are some seriously hammered LCA's. And to think your wife was driving that thing! Yeah good move buying new LCA's, those are beyond repair.

As for the K frame, contact @Jim Lusk, he can walk you through that repair. I've got a /6 spool mount K frame out of my '74 Duster sitting around, although you can probably find one local too and not have to worry about shipping.

Another update, and it's not good.

This WAS going to be a post showing progress so far, but while cleaning before reinstalling the (now welded) K-Member I found this (I thinks she's trying to tell us something):

IMG_0914_Lo_Res.jpg

IMG_0916_Lo_Res.jpg

Ouch.

Movie car for the Dukes of Hazzard?

Is that at the rear mount of the K frame on the frame rail? That's a pretty significant crack, looks like it extends well up into the rail too.

Ouch.

Movie car for the Dukes of Hazzard?

Is that at the rear mount of the K frame on the frame rail? That's a pretty significant crack, looks like it extends well up into the rail too.
No movie stunts, just years of driving Seattle area roads.

Yes on both counts about the cracks. Nasty.

-
Back