Offset leaf spring install ?

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I've decided to install an offset shackle kit in my car.My question is should I remove the center section too.I plan on removing the axles cause I figure the heat will screw up the axle seals and trying to remove the seals prior to welding the pads will screw them up as well.Should I worry about the center section?I figure it far enough away from the heat.My bro inlaw say I should remove and drain the housing.Any chance of the gear lube lighting up?

Well, your concerns made me giggle this morning. There honest.
I would not worry a bit. When you go to weld on the rear, tach it down first (of course) and then after you clean it up and cool it down, just run a bead on one side quick. Then repeat, clean up, leet it cool for a minute, coffee/beer/bathroom break.... Finish the other side. It's not going to get hot enough to like the oil up. It may smoke a bit though.

I'd leave it all bolted together

Thanks,my brother in law got me all paranoid.I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it apart.I'm glad you got a kick out this post,a little laugh is a good way to start the day.

Hey, good question though.....can't be too safe. I'm planning on doing the same install too, I just hope there's no problem with running those offset hangers out back with my SS leaf springs. Those things are hard as a rock! Hate to start bending the hangers.

I also want to take my housing in and have it narrowed slightly in order to run B-body rear brakes out back. I haven't ordered my axles yet.

Your right! Be safe! Ask!

I don't know what he said that got you all juiced up. Perhaps it is the sparks or maybe burning through the metal that alarms him. I'll assume your skilled with a MIG? If not, hire someone willing to come to you and give him a 6 pack of beer for a tip.

My morning giggle i got was a cartoon 3 stooge disaster while the welding is going on and blast furnace heat and fire blackening Moe's face while Larry is beating him senseless to put out the hair on fire and Curly is blasting them both with a fire exting. Dead in there mugs.

No worries on the spring hangers being bent.

My brother inlaw is going to do the welding,he used to build submarines so I trust his skills.I wouldn't do it myself,my welds aren't as pretty as his.

Good good good! It'll take him but a minute to do each side then.

My brother inlaw is going to do the welding,he used to build submarines so I trust his skills.I wouldn't do it myself,my welds aren't as pretty as his.

he's not the guy that caught the one on fire is he??....just checking...I think that guy is in jail anyway

carry on..

I would be very careful welding the pads on. Honestly I took mine to a friend who owns Enigma Rod Shop in Mass and he showed me a rear housing that someone tried to do themselves and over heated the tubes causing them to bend slightly. He uses a jig with a solid tube that runs through the entire axle and diff without the gearset. This braces the axle housing so it won't warp.

It can be done without the jig. Your just going to have to take your time and stitch the pads on. DO NOT RUN A LONG BEAD! this will induce too much heat into the tube and can cause it to warp. Like I said, just run small stiches no more than an inch in length and let it cool completely between runs.

-
Back