Oh s#!t!

-

Marcelo Dart BR

Reaction score
Yesterday I took off the valve covers to check the lash and when I was unlocking the jam nuts 2 of the studs simply broke in 2 pieces. I bought these crane rockers in november and run them for a few hundred miles only. I adjusted the lash for 2 times. I e-mailed Crane but had no replies yet. I bought these just for the reliability because I had a problem with rollers before...:banghead:

What did happen here? All the rest was perfect, no sideplay, everything oiled...

View attachment SAM_4137.jpg

View attachment SAM_4138.jpg

View attachment SAM_4141.jpg

Sorry about your luck. I would call. Just this week I've had to call two different companies that I emailed and had no response. When I called I got personal email addresses and now both issues have been resolved.

I think when we email companies at a general email address nobody takes ownership. Especially if it is a warranty issue or a problem. Calling should hopefully expedite your issue.

Good Luck!

i'd recommend calling them and getting a complete set and change them all out at this point.... maybe, just maybe, they will give you a set free

Crane Cams
1830 Holsonback Drive
Daytona Beach, Florida 32117

Automotive
Phone: 386-310-4875
Toll Free: 866-388-5120
Toll-Free International: 00-1-866-388-5120Fax: 386-236-9983
E-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]

If I don't get a reply from them maybe I'll call. I don't know exactly how they should proceed since I bought on ebay and I'm in other country.

This can happen when they are over torqued. Think about it when you are tightening the jam nut against the rocker body it is trying to force the adjuster body apart. J.Rob

All I know is every time you tighten the jamb nut you apply stretch stress to the bolt in the same area. Do the mfgrs provide a torque spec for those jamb nuts ?
Just snug should be sufficient.

I did not over torque them. I've read in a forum, don't remember witch one, that some Crane studs were breaking on the bottom years ago. I was affraid to put much torque on them because of this.

Poorly heat treated/low grade steel/lacks quality control
Look how the bolt fractured cleanly.

If they had been overtorqued there would be rounded off nuts
and gaulding of the nut and rocker contact surfaces.

Overtightening the jamb nut wouldn't cause a break them on the bottom anyway.
Maybe it boils down to hardening, heat treating, quality control.
High quality raw materials are very expensive today too.
Good luck with it

Overtightening the jamb nut wouldn't cause a break them on the bottom anyway.
Maybe it boils down to hardening, heat treating, quality control.
High quality raw materials are very expensive today too.
Good luck with it

Is the picture inverted or something? The picture clearly shows the TOP broken. I agree on the hardening/heat treating though. Crane adjusters do break but usually after many years and miles. J.Rob

Didn't Crane go "T@ts-up, lights out," and now they are partially back?

I just showed your pics to one of the mechanical engineers here and he thought just looking at the fracture in the second picture that by the crystalization of the metal he suspects an over hardening of the metal during the heat treating process. We used to run the Isky adjustable rockers in the 70's and ocassionally we would twist off the top when we lashed the valves. dan

I think it must be some material failure. With just about 300 miles on them they're still new, and the 2 times I adjusted them I was really careful.

A few years back,a mag article(Car Craft?) did a 360 build.They ran the Crane "gold" roller rockers.Sheared like that.I recall reading they had a batch of adjusters leave the factory like that.It was noted in the article,and yes,Crane took care of it.Good luck,Marcelo.

That's why I asked on the age. They did have a batch of bad ones and that's similar to what would happen. Crane was defunct for a time, but they are slowly coming back. The bad adjusters were from prior to the closure. If the ebay place was an online store, you might have some recourse. If it was just a guy selling parts, good luck with that. But, you can buy only adjusters from other comapnies like Isky and I think Howards.

this is a big problem with these cheap adjusters...

we were having this issue on out hemi's for a while until we realized it was another junk mopar performance part...

we switched over to isky adjusters and have had no issues since... and i have them on my slant with no issues either...

I found the replacement studs from mopar on ebay, but the seller doesn't sell to other countries. Summit has the crane set... it would cost me U$144.

I did not over torque them. I've read in a forum, don't remember witch one, that some Crane studs were breaking on the bottom years ago. I was affraid to put much torque on them because of this.

They had batches of them gawl out on the ball ends too a few years back, Its just a case of poor quality with them snapping like that, i'd replace the whole set (adjusters), call crane & i'm sure they will make it right, they did with me anyways.

I wouldn't buy ebay on this one,Marcelo.Too much unknown voodoo for that there.Bite the bullet,buy from a known supplier,worth the extra coin,man.

Didn't Crane go "T@ts-up, lights out," and now they are partially back?

They were purchased by S&S (motorcycle guys) and are in full swing or right damn close to it.

-
Back