Ohms reading of temperature sensor???

-

rebel715

Reaction score
Howdy, I am needing to know the ohms reading of the stock temperature sensor for a slant 6 with the idiot light and not the gauge. I need the ohms reading for cold and hot please. Thanks!!! My /6 is a 1984 pickup if that information is needed.

I found some information on allpar that suggests temperature sensors were 5K ohms at 77F in 1984 and 10K in 1985. No model specifics.

Here is my experience. Temperature sensors are NTC devices so as they get hot the resistance drops, when they are cold the resistance increases. The nominal value is at 25C or about 77F.

Looking in a table at 0C or 32F a 5K sensor will have a resistance of about 14K ohms and a 10K sensor about 28K ohms.

At 100C or 212F the 5K sensor will measure about 500 Ohms and a 10K sensor 900 ohms.

Temperature is measured by using a resistor to supply the sensor creating a voltage divider to measure the resulting voltage. The result is not linear so the measurement is corrected in the meter. If an additional meter or device is installed it could corrupt the desired readings.

I often check the sensors, in the freezer, in boiling water and at room temperature. Expect measurements to vary up to about 10%.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try about a 1K resistor to ground connected to the wiring connector to try to "fool" the ESC to not be retarding my spark since I am using an aftermarket temperature sensor. Currently the connector is unconnected, so hopefully the resistor will allow the ESC to go into closed loop mode and my issue will be resolved. (fingers crossed) Thanks again!!

What you really meant to say is you need the resistance value of the temperature sensor, both hot and cold. The temp. sensor is just a resistor which varies with temperature. You read that resistance in ohms with an ohmmeter.

-
Back