Oil filter bolt... what’s up with this?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I bought a new oil filter bolt from a well known Mopar house. I’ve emailed them about this. What is this scale? Heat treatment do this? I didn’t expect to have to clean up such a mess. Considering it goes into the oil system.... gonna take some clean up. Strange. Anybody ever seen this ?

BC98DBCF-B97A-4523-815F-014B3B3BF246.jpeg

China reproduction. Some assembly required. LOL. Sorry couldnt help myself.

Expected more quality from this company. I’m questioning the integrity of the material.

I wouldn't accept that unless I was desperate, and even then it would require a heavy wire wheeling.
Looks like and old used bolt to me, just look at the condition of the threads.

I just called them and they seemed a little perplexed. All the bolts look like this. For a Mopar engine shop I wasn’t expecting this. My bolt has been stretched to the point of oval shaping the holes over the years. And it looks better than this. Yikes. Trying to put the engine in this weekend. Ughh.

Sure looks like something that happened during heat treat. I wouldnt use it. It would be a bad mess if that cracked and the filter adapter fell off.

Hey I have bought a lot of nice stuff from them and they have always known what they were talking about. I have no beef with them but this isn’t my idea of a quality part. This isn’t a temp sending unit or oil fill cap. If this bolt breaks it’s a nightmare. It looks like something in treatment or honestly, hot rolled cheap *** steel.

Have you tried the dealer? It might be a pleasant surprise.

Looks like slag from the mill when it was made, Bolts are made from wire, My friend worked at a pickling plant that got the coils of wire from the mill in Cleveland and they put them in the acid tank to pickle them then they went in the oven to get annealed so they could make bolts out of them. They didn't pickle the wire or leave it in long enough, I would not use it!

It’s very thick compared to the stock one. I may clean it up and see. It’s probably ok but I expected a nicer looking piece. The originals are long gone. I find more 3” style stretched or buggered up than I do nice. So which is it, one that’s been stretched to hell with a thin wall or thick wall chineseum.

Go to Fastenal buy a 3/4"-16 bolt grade 8 and make your own.
Also are u sure you need the angle adaptor. the new shorty oil filters will fit most aplications.

Go to Fastenal buy a 3/4"-16 bolt grade 8 and make your own.
Also are u sure you need the angle adaptor. the new shorty oil filters will fit most aplications.
Hahahah. I want to see you drill STRAIGHT down 3” down with a 3/8 bit into a grade 8 bolt.And then cross drill it. I hope you are kidding. yes, HP manifold. Must use the adapter.

Hahahah. I want to see you drill STRAIGHT down 3” down with a 3/8 bit into a grade 8 bolt.And then cross drill it. I hope you are kidding. yes, HP manifold. Must use the adapter.
Lathe.

I do not own a lathe. Nor am I going to go through this trouble. If the twisted OEM bolt held, this sure will.

does the bolt have the 4 holes at the same length or 2 at about 1" and 2 at about 1.5" like the 1 in the picture at post 6. the old stock bolt had 4 holes at the same length=weak. the newer staggered holes bolt is in the picture with the gaskets. I would send that bolt back looks like crap, not heat treated properly and not finished

I bought one from Man, and it looks the same, the bolt is not shinny and scaled, too. Do not know what is up, suppose to be stringer than stock.

There is no way that copper washer will seal on this head. Not without cutting that surface to a nice machine surface. Myself and copper washers do not love each other this year already. However this could be a very expensive relic. From the boiler of the Titanic. That stuff goes for a fortune.

480DF916-2E32-4EE9-BD62-C5D032A87EAE.jpeg

-
Back