Oil filter bolt... what’s up with this?

-
Could it be a rust inhibitor like cosmoline? Cosmoline will dry out over time. Maybe try scrubbing it with steel wool in mineral spirits.

It’s part of the bolt. Like it’s Damascus and delaminating. I’m not going to grind it or wire wheel it. They need to have this bolt back.

It’s part of the bolt. Like it’s Damascus and delaminating. I’m not going to grind it or wire wheel it. They need to have this bolt back.

That's just nasty then. Tell um you can pick up a fifty plus year old one in better shape. Just remember though, there are TWO kinds of those bolts. That's actually the better of the two. The other one has the holes drilled closer together and can twist off and break when tightened down.

I have a staggered bolt and some Gorilla in the past kept tightening in hopes the gasket would miraculously heal itself. It’s twisted to the point I’m scared of it. I may just look for a nice used one. I don’t even want to mess with getting this surface to seal etc.

Hahahah. I want to see you drill STRAIGHT down 3” down with a 3/8 bit into a grade 8 bolt.And then cross drill it. I hope you are kidding. yes, HP manifold. Must use the adapter.

I can do that for the op in need. Easy as pie.

Or I may have an original?

Lol

Go get a used one, unless you have no wrecking yards there.
They made a couple versions, one all holes line up and that sucker is prone to twisting and stretching, the other has them offset up and down , between 69 -71 was the change to my knowledge.

Lol

Go get a used one, unless you have no wrecking yards there.
They made a couple versions, one all holes line up and that sucker is prone to twisting and stretching, the other has them offset up and down , between 69 -71 was the change to my knowledge.
Yeah there aren’t too many 68 Dart V8’s laying around the yards with a nice bolt and adapter these days.

Yeah there aren’t too many 68 Dart V8’s laying around the yards with a nice bolt and adapter these days.
That's the shitty one, wouldn' want it anyways. Staggard hole later ones are better.

Most v8 parts I need I get from 70's vans.

my 1970 duster 340 had the 4 holes lined up-in 1979 I snapped it-no torque specs available. good luck finding a bolt in a junkyard. I doubt vans used the 90* mount and bolt. what is the actual inside diameter? does a hardware store bolt have the same hex diameter? I wish I bought some from mopar years ago-2468593 and P5007515. some machinist should make some - grade 5 would be fine. check billrolikenterprises.com

I bought a new oil filter bolt from a well known Mopar house. I’ve emailed them about this. What is this scale? Heat treatment do this? I didn’t expect to have to clean up such a mess. Considering it goes into the oil system.... gonna take some clean up. Strange. Anybody ever seen this ?

View attachment 1715131680

That's crustier than the stains in my underwear....

Skid Marks.jpg

return it and have them inspect the next one they send you. That looks like the sewer pipe I took out from under my 70 year old house.

Missed a step or two in the manufacturing process. That is not a saleable item.parts guy should know this.

Well, they investigated and called me back. Good communication. I give them that. They looked at the box of them and they are all the same. “ it’s how they are heat treaded” was the answer. Like it or not that’s how they come. He gave me permission to wire wheel it. If it doesn’t knock off that scale, I’ll send it back I guess.

lame. look at the pic in post 6. so they are shipping them directly from heat treat, that is unfinished. after we heat treat steel it goes thru sandblast, and the threads should be lightly chased

-
Back