Opinions wanted: 408/416 Stroker or 440?

-

WSUTARD

Reaction score
I would like to get the opinions of people who have dealt with a 340 stroker (408-416) and a 440. Looking for pros and cons if you have experience with both.

I am considering doing my first engine build this winter and trying to decide between the two.

Currently I have a 68 340 with X heads out of a Dart GTS sitting in my 69 Coronet. I would use this block to make the stroker. It has already been built up a little with a 268 Comp Cam and KB forged pistons.

For the 440 I would have to start from scratch.

My goal is +500hp and torque. I 100% street drive right now but wouldn’t be opposed to doing some drags in the future with one of these engines.

I have a 23 spline 833 4 speed connected to a fresh 8 3/4 rear with 4:10.

My radiator is a 26” newly rebuilt with three cores.

Cost will be an issue as I haven’t yet figured out how to grow money on my trees. I figure the stroker would be cheaper but if I did the 440 I could sell the 340.

Tell me what I don’t know.

440 in a A body is cooler.
If it's going in the 69 Coronet..... still gotta say 440 and would easily make the 500hp.

Stroke the 340. If you are going to be cylinder head limited (which you will be unless the head you will be using an offset intake rocker arm) keep the stroke to 3.79 or a bit less.

Also, if you are serious, start looking for a block. There was two R blocks for sale here on FABO. Well worth the money.

I built you a couple similar engines on Dyno 2k and I went somewhat modest.
The 416 stroker produced 328 HP and 417 torque. The 440 produced 358 HP and 446 torque.
The build was 9.5 compression with a .450 lift cam with whatever duration the performance street profile decided to use. Small tube headers and a 700 CFM carb

I went the stroked 340 route and it's now at a 418 (.04 over)
I used w2 heads and custom cam from Lunati.
430 rear gears and passon 4 spd od gearset
It makes me swallow my Adams apple when I dump the clutch

I honestly debate switching to a stroked 400 and hit 451 and upgrade to 440 source heads.

The 400 block is a lower deck and easier to stuff between fenders for exhaust reasons.

If it's in a B body - I'd say go big block. A stroker small block kicks ***, but a stroker big block kicks bigger asses further. MOney-wise the big block will be about 25% more cash for a like build. So for you, having a block helps the small block side. You'll have to buy a big block, a bell and flywheel and clutch, and headers or manifolds. So the big block will end up being a bunch more.
BUT - a small block, any small block in a B body will not get much for respect. Even if it's fast.
Strokers of any size need the best heads you can afford, and a camshaft bigger than the cam catalogs list for a street engine. (very basic there...lol)

440. Drove my dads 66' Coronet 500 with a hot 440, 4 speed 3.91:1's and it was a blast.

Yep, this is for the Coronet. I have always thought it should have a big block but it’s cool knowing that I have one of only a handful, if not the only B body with a 340. I like unique.

Are there any points given to having a lighter engine up front or one that can rev up faster/higher? I have been told that small blocks can handle more revs and get to those refs faster than a big block.

Strokers of any size need the best heads you can afford, and a camshaft bigger than the cam catalogs list for a street engine. (very basic there...lol)
This is good info to know and sort of what I was looking for.

"I have been told that small blocks can handle more revs and get to those refs faster than a big block."

You've ben lied to. Properly built, either iteration could rev quickly, and reach any heights you want. You're not dealing with "big" or "small" blocks once you start going with non-factory strokes. Those terms will only relate to bolting things in or onto it.

Yep, this is for the Coronet. I have always thought it should have a big block but it’s cool knowing that I have one of only a handful, if not the only B body with a 340. I like unique.

Are there any points given to having a lighter engine up front or one that can rev up faster/higher? I have been told that small blocks can handle more revs and get to those refs faster than a big block.

This is good info to know and sort of what I was looking for.

Both small and big blocks have oil timing issues. They are not easily fixed.

"I have been told that small blocks can handle more revs and get to those refs faster than a big block."

You've ben lied to. Properly built, either iteration could rev quickly, and reach any heights you want. You're not dealing with "big" or "small" blocks once you start going with non-factory strokes. Those terms will only relate to bolting things in or onto it.
But I also read it on the internet so I has to be true.

The Stroker is lighter and more room under the hood...I vote stroker.

Jeff

It's going in a B body so stroke a 400 or a 440 to 500 in, that's all you need

Why is it so difficult. I you are gonna build a stroker for a B-body and you want 500 horse for street use, why bother with a 408 30 cubes less than a 440.
A 408 is peanuts when we are talking stroker in a B body, only to be walked on by a well built 440.

Why even stroke the 440 to make 500 hp. Cast crank is strong enough, so are the stock rods. Just buy some good pistons and some aluminum heads with a small solid cam and your there cheap.

No question about it, in a B body you need to have a big block. A 500 hp 440 would be much cheaper to build than a stroker SB. No need to spend money on a stroker package, rebuild the 440 with good parts and spend money on heads.

I think everyone in this post is right so far. I's also a relief to see a big block/small block thread that didn't turn into an argument. Must be full moon time again.

Wow, here is a question we've never heard before. Here is my same answer. IMO, go with a stroked small block. The extra weight of a big block will not exactly make your car handle better.

-
Back