Paint

-

CUUDAK

Reaction score
Thanks to a fellow FABO Member, I will be painting my Cuda sooner. I picked up my mix of "QQ1" blue PPG paint and shot a test panel and it did not come even close to the color of my car. After I disassembled my car I found that the color behind the weatherstrips is 10-15 shades darker than what the paint store gave me. I am at a loss. Looks like they gave me a variant of B5 blue. This mix could be easily blend into B5 color. Anyone have a good paint chip for this QQ1? It is way deeper blue metallic than B5!

Return it and beat them stupid with a old cam until you get your money back. LOL

HEY! It could be worse, it could be painted 5 coats deep. Good move! In the test spray.

Return it and beat them stupid with a old cam until you get your money back. LOL

HEY! It could be worse, it could be painted 5 coats deep. Good move! In the test spray.

Yea
PPG hardly ever matches. Guess i will take the decklid and get them to use the Profit on it to get a better match from the bottom side. I like PPG base due to its coverage but prefer Dupont clears. I always shoot test panels!

This is the factory finish.

1 186.jpg

1 208.jpg

1 212.jpg

1 202.jpg

I once owned a 68 Dart in QQ1 blue. I loved that color and really never saw a blue to match it. B-5 never seemed to be quite as rich a blue as the QQ1. It is odd that the new paint is lighter than the paint beneath your trim, especially with 40 years of fading. I would think it would be even darker if anything. It sounds like you need to go back to the paint store and have a new formula mixed up. When you do get some paint on it be sure to post a lot of pictures!!!

This pic is from when the PO refinished the engine bay with B5. He insisted that B5 was the right color! He is nuts!!

When you do get some paint on it be sure to post a lot of pictures!!!

I surely will. I am taking lotsa pics to document every step. It is stripped and in bare metal at this time. I need the lt lower trunk extension maybe the right. Haven't got to that side. I do know there are several pin holes that I can weld up using a copper back plate on the negetive side of the welder. The right trunk extension looks to be good from the underside. Just worried about where all the seamsealer was at the rear below taillight. I can post some of the now pics.

You might try using code 13354 when ordering your paint.

What system is this code for???.

1 196.jpg

13354 is the Ditzler code. The Dupont code is 4861LH. Your paint shop should be able to come up with something using one of these numbers.

Thank You. I have been researching this color and all that I have seen are not the right shade.
The exterior of my car has moderate fade so it looks lighter. I pulled the roof rail weatherstrips and this shows the correct color. I wouldn't think that this area would fade or get darker?! No exposure to the elements.

The original color looks to have a blue mica and the color I have has a silver mica?? I guess I could add a coat or two of some blue candy in an intermediate coat to achieve the original color. Of course I will need to do a letdown panel to see how many coats to achieve correct hue, sidetone and chroma.

-
Back