Peyote's 66 Dart -- "Wild Thing"

-
Picked up the 360 magnum today...$100. Good deal since it was in great shape. I took it straight to my machinist who is going to take it .030 over, and order my Pistons, valve train, and polish the crank.

I also got the accessory brackets, manifolds, injectors, etc. although most of that is trash.

Machinist called me today about the 360. $500 for working in the block (.02 over), $100 to install the new Pistons in the rods, $245 to grind and polish the crank. More than I was expecting, but I suppose the peace of mind is worth it. He's also putting together an engine package for all bearings, Pistons, gaskets, roller lifters, custom cam, oil pump, and rings for $990. Sounds like a lot but when I price it all out myself I get to $1300, so a bit of a good deal there. He'll start the work soon but I won't be able to pay him until mid December

First pic of the reworked block. Not yet finish honed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 357
Got the new Pistons installed, along with the crankshaft and cam. It all went fine except for one ring that I managed to break. Once I get the replacement I can install the last piston.

I checked all the ring gaps and assigned them to certain cylinders according to which combo worked best. I also plastigaged the main bearings at the crank journals and found them all exactly the same: .0018". And the end play of the crank measured .005". So if I'm correct about what the numbers should be, then my machinist did a badass job on this crank!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 319
Mmmmm. Brand new M1 goodness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 302
Dam that block with the pistons in it looks real nice, nice enough to put in a glass case.

Got the tools to degree the cam and I'm working on the rear end. Whoever set up this 8.8 pinion did it completely wrong. No shims between the gear and the bearing at all, and one shim floating around outside of the outer bearing. No wonder I couldn't get the carrier installed correctly. Not only that but I was told the pinion bearings are new. False. Time to bust off the old bearing and set it up properly.

Also I should be ordering my EQ heads in less than a month. The whole project seems really daunting, but I'm trying to just look at it a little at a time.

Not that I'm ready to order them, but here's the design I came up with for the Speed Hut gauges I'll be getting eventually...day and night shot included

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 4.28.03 PM.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 4.59.49 PM.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 211
and here's the little ones

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 4.58.54 PM.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 201
It feels like progress os being made. I've decided to wait on the cylinder heads. I really want to get this rear end done and off the floor, so....Made the big order to Summit for the leaf springs, offset hangers, offset shackles, perches, and u-bolts. Also ordered new gears for the 8.8. I've got a few things left to order like rear spring bushings, a new diff cover, and figure out what I'm doing about the spring plates and shock mounts, but I'll have most of what I need to get started.

The new gas tank will go in and I'll wire brush and spray the underside while I'm at it.

Old gas tank, leaf springs, and shocks removed. Got rid of the rust and undercoating between the rails from the bumper to the axle hump. Productive weekend. Also picked up a needle scaler for the rest of the gunk

Lots of good progress this weekend:

Cleaned chassis and floor undercoating and rust from back bumper to wheel arch...primed and painted gloss black

Cleaned and painted new gas tank and strap

Cleaned and painted rear shackle hangers and installed with new offset shackles

Cut off the 3 remaining spring perches from the 8.8. It's now ready to be cleaned up and welded.

Removed old header back exhaust pipe

Installed oil pump, pickup tube, and windage tray in the 5.9. Cleaned up the timing cover and installed a new seal.

Waiting on timing cover bolts to come in, then I can install it and the oil pan.

Next up is:

order a new fuel sender with built in return fitting so I can install the tank.

Order the offset hanger brackets and clamp on perches so I can get back to having a roller vehicle.

Then I'll be saving money for two years to get the GTS k member and Coilover package. Once that's installed I'll be saving once more for the 200r4, eq heads, and making the transmission mount mods. After that I can install the engine/tranny and finally set my pinion angle! Lol

Quick update...the heads should be in my hands in a couple of weeks, Texas Engine Machine is building them from Engine Quest bare heads, bowl blending, casting cleanup, etc.

Decided to go with a 42RH tranny, but that's gonna be off in the future at some point.

Finished the spring relocation, got the hangers all the way against the frame. Springs are installed. Harmonic Damper is on order, once I get it I can button up the timing cover then the oil pan.
Rear Brake kit came in today from Wilwood for the rear (gloss black calipers), so once I get them put on I'll bolt the rear up to the springs.
After I get the heads on, and the intake, I'll be trying to save up for that coilover kit.

15994446_10207861269561030_8529687483746612270_o.jpg

Looks great in everything you're doing. Let me know how the install of the headers go. My dad bought Doug long tube headers that was supposed to be a direct fit with the 273 with out modifying the body.

you know you got your lugnuts on backwards, right?

:poke:

Lol yes, I put them on that way so the rotor would be as square to the axle as possible while I was mounting the caliper...they will get flipped the right way for the wheels

Parts on the way:

Fuel pump block off plate
Harmonic damper
Intake bolts
Thermostat housing
Engine paint
Water pump
Parking brake cable
Distributor
Adjustable rotor

Thanks Johnny at Pace for the great customer support!

Just about done with this engine!

-
Back