Polishing scratches, out of the outside, on window glass...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Removing primer over spray , from the quarter windows... Found healthy scratches.. Any ideas on making them, slightly less noticeable? Not tinting the windows, or looking for perfection... Any ideas, would be wonderful. Thank You, in advance......

there is a process involving a special compound and buffer, cerium oxide or something like that. If you can feel the scratch with a finger nail, it will take a very long time to remove it and that will leave a low place in the glass surface/thickness. View gets distorted sort of like fun house mirrors. OK for any except the windshield with deep pitting and/or wiper scratches.

Removing primer over spray , from the quarter windows... Found healthy scratches.. Any ideas on making them, slightly less noticeable? Not tinting the windows, or looking for perfection... Any ideas, would be wonderful. Thank You, in advance......

Polishing any scratches that you can feel with your fingernail is an exercise in futility. Even the ones just small enough to not be felt are extremely time consuming to remove. The visual distortion that it leaves on the glass is off-putting to me as well. Find a good used piece of glass and swap it out, or replace it if its available. Those ugly fastback rear window's are as rare as hen's teeth, so hopefully it's not the one you are doing.

I have removed fine scratches using Purple Metal Polish. Really fine scratches that make your glass look foggy. Above posters are correct about deep scratches and heat. When removing the fine scratches I do it by hand using the polish on a rag in small circular motions , with moderate pressure . Yote

You can buy the kits online from Ebay and glass shops, and other places that come with the drill pads and cerium oxide compound.
Here's one from Eastwood. Eastwood Pro Glass Polishing Kit

-
Back