Polyester filler primer,anything new?....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Started with lacquer primer,K200 PPG kicked it's ***.. Obviously,K200 is one & done, used PCL's Poly Prime with MEKP as the recommended catalyst. Worked fairly,what's the new info on fast filling polyester primers? (Thanks....)

Dunno man,it's been years (about 30 ) since I took my last ppg paint class.

Dunno man,it's been years (about 30 ) since I took my last ppg paint class.

I'm no expert, but have some experience. The catylized primers still shrink significantly over time, so less is more. These days I DA off the old paint, straighten the metal as best I can, spray a K200 type high build primer on it, and block it down as thin as I can get it without cutting through to the high spots. It's hard to know where you are sometimes without a paint thickness meter, so it is a great tool to have if you are doing several cars.

Once its flat, I seal and top coat or Base/Clear. There are also occassions that require some body filler.

If you color sand the entire surface, it will off-gas faster than with the shiney surface. Polish and enjoy.

Here is a little tip I would be happy to share. This is what we do at my shop. When using a k2 primer mix it as a sealer every time. Why you ask Well it lays down much nicer. The real reason is die back. as the product is much thinner it will shrink up a lot quicker than heavy coats. leaving no sand scratches to show up in the paint later. I apply 3 coats in between block sanding.

Here is a little tip I would be happy to share. This is what we do at my shop. When using a k2 primer mix it as a sealer every time. Why you ask Well it lays down much nicer. The real reason is die back. as the product is much thinner it will shrink up a lot quicker than heavy coats. leaving no sand scratches to show up in the paint later. I apply 3 coats in between block sanding.

I agree with this. I always mix my surface primer "thin" It soaks into the sand scratches better that way and doesn't bridge anything. It also like mentioned above dies back quicker and less... If you're going for build then just spray more... Even when I spray a polyester filler I thin it out.. There is no reason you need to make it spray like crap just to get less coats on. I would thin it, and spray until I was happy with the build.

-
Back